Helmeted Menander Tetradrachm (BC 155-130)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ancientnoob, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Here is my original write up on one of my favorite rulers - and here is my new slightly improved upgraded Menander tetradrachm.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/menander-i-soter-tetradrachm-revisited.266277/

men3e.jpg

Asia, Paropamisadae or Gandhara
    Indo-Greek Kingdom
    House of Euthydemus
    Menander I Soter (Milinda Panha) (r.BC 155-130)
    AR Tetradrachm 26 mm x 9.76 grams.
    Obverse: Helmeted and Diademed bust of Menander right. Greek Legend -BASILEWS SWTHROS MENANDPOY
    Reverse: Athena Alkidemos (as protector of the city) Advancing left with thunderbolt and Gorgon faced shield. Monograms Left field; Kharosthi Legend-MAHARAJA TRATASA MENANDRASA
    Ref: HGC 12, 182; Bopearachchi 15 monogram D;Mitchiner, type 217d
    Note: Large denomination. Scarce. Ancient King of Religious and Historical significance. Pretty high grade.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Another awesome pick-up Noob! I still love my Drachm of Menander, and all of the history that comes with it. I showed it off in the other thread you linked to, but here it is again:
    01-BA-Menander I-AR-DR-01.jpg
    Kingdom of Bactria
    Menander I r. c. 165/55-130 B.C.
    AR Drachm, 15.71mm x 2.5 grams
    Obv.: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΣΩΤΗΡΟΣ / ΜΕΝΑΝΔΡΟΥ. Diademed bust of the sovereign right, coat fastened on the right shoulder
    Rev.: (Maharajasa tratarasa / Menamdrasa). Athena Alkidemos standing left. Monogram 'H' in right field
    Ref.: Bopearachi, Ménandre (I) Sôter, 67

This coin is on the docket for a reshoot... hopefully this weekend!

4. Ancientnoob

Awesome coin - I would love to see the reshoot and see what you have done to improve your image. Please share!!

FitzNigel and Mikey Zee like this.
  5. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

WOW!!!! Both are absolutely phenomenal!!!

Andres2, Curtisimo and Puckles like this.
  6. I wasn't aware Menander's tets were so light. You learn something new every day.

My favorite coin from the era on the other side of the Amu River. Same border between Afghanistan and Uzbekistan that divided the Indo Greeks from the Greco Bactrians in the 2nd century BC. I don't know much of the history, but Menander ruled concurrently with Eukratides I for 10 years. I'm sure there were either skirmishes or rumors of war during that time.

Eukratides I Tetradrachm.png

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Holy Cow @Ancientnoob , very nice! You slammin' home with some wonderful quality! Good eye.

@FitzNigel - beautiful piece, and wonderful history around it!

8. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Compared with the one in the openingpost, here Menander looks a bit younger:
    MenanderHelmetedBop16iW.jpg

But i also have a weakness for the coins of the later rulers (here ZoilosII):
    ZoilosIIBopIIweb.jpg

9. It almost looks like Athena isn't wearing anything around her mid section. The skirt appears to be wrapped around her thighs and tied off just below her left gluteus maximus; similar to Venus on Imperial denarii. If this is common on most of these coins, I didn't notice before.

10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

A very sweet example!

Ancientnoob likes this.
  11. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Very nice coin indeed Ancientnoob, great detail and surfaces.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  12. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Wow, many awesome coins in this thread!

Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 11.36.05 AM.png

13. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

I like your description : "Pretty high grade."

:D

Paul M., TIF and Ancientnoob like this.
  14. Ancientnoob

It would be awesome if it was a reoccurring theme. Thanks!

Paul M. likes this.
  15. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Am I the only one who sees how amazing the butt on Athena is on this example? Sorry to be so plebeian, but (yea, intended) its a nice coin.

16. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

You're not Ken - it has been commented on before! It is rather striking, and I didn't realize it stood out so much when I bought it... but that makes it interesting!

If I should sell it, do you think I could get away with claiming it is "one if the finest deriers in Numismatics"?

Paul M., icerain and Ancientnoob like this.
  17. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

While I rephotographed this coin last week, it didn't turn out too well. Better results today, although I think the reverse might be a little out of focus... (certainly seeing some red on the coin that shouldn't be there on the reverse. I think the obverse is good, but maybe a little reflective on the face).
    Anc-04-BA-iee-Menander I-DR-67.jpg

icerain, Paul M., Bing and 7 others like this.
  18. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Wow, how did I miss this thread? Noob-- fantastic coin and fantastic images!

Paul M. and Ancientnoob like this.
  19. Ancientnoob

A better capture of the obverse surface but the to be honest I like the first photo better. Keep 'em coming and thanks for the contribution to my thread.

Paul M. likes this.
  20. Ancientnoob

Thanks!

Yea this iphone 5s I have for work takes photo just about as good as the Samsung galaxy s5 I was using.

Paul M. likes this.
  21. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Stunning OP and stunning contributions from others! Beautiful coins!

Paul M. and Ancientnoob like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted