Helmeted Alexander the great/Koinon and on and on...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

I won a helmeted Alexander!
    ...."oh, you mean a lion skin skull cap."
    No, no. A helmeted Alexander.
    "OH, you mean an elephant skin."
    NO, NO. A helmet Alexander.
    "Oh oH, a Horns of Zeus Amon."
    Ok. We get it. There are a lot of funny things that the greatness wore on his head aside for his perfect hair.
    DE7E2EC8-BA57-44C8-9CE9-BD44085ACD0A.jpeg
    Excluding the ultra expensive helmeted types which I need not bring anymore attention to here (lest I lower my chances of ever owning one) it is rare for a more affordable Koinon one to come along. But come along one did.
    Fresh off my double squared awesome win in AMCC2 here is a coin I am thrilled:zombie: to have in my collection.
    Though there are many types of coins barring the mug of Alexander (some possibly of his generals trying to look like him) the Roman Koinon series is dedicated to what was the Roman's (500+ years later) understanding of what the man looked like.
    To put perspective on it, this isn't like us idealizing George Washington, some 225 years ago. The Romans putting Alexander on a coin would be like us putting some one from the time of Christopher Columbus on a coin!
    1FBFC817-FF28-4C36-B1B9-90E486FF5095.png
    I have some really fun coins of ATG and pals, but this is the first with him wearing a battle helmet. I'll include all my Koinon series to show the idealization:
    BF690FF8-AB60-40CF-9C63-89855F533FC5.jpeg
    MACEDON, Koinon of Macedon: Pseudo-autonomous issue, time of Gordian III (238-244). Beroea mint. 9.34g, 25mm.
    Obv: AΛΕΧΑΝΔΡΟΥ, Head of Alexander the Great right, wearing crested Attic helmet with griffin on the bowl
    Rev: KOINON MAKEΔONΩN B NЄΩΚΟΡ, Warrior right on horseback right (presumed to be Alexander on Bucephalus); star below.
    Cf. AMNG III 770.
    Scarce. Alexander’s name clear.
    Ex: AMCC consigned by CTer @tenbobbit

841635F8-84B5-467E-9FAF-7E58B19AFE82.png
    KOINON OF MACEDON
    Æ25, 8.7g, 6h; 3rd century AD.
    Obv.: AΛEΞANΔPOY; Diademed bust of Alexander the Great right.
    Rev.: KOINON MAKEΔONΩN; Horseman galloping right.
    Reference: SNG Cop 1355.

B5BAD25D-4F18-48B4-BA76-48D19DCAA083.png
    MACEDON. Koinon
    Pseudo-autonomous. Time of Gordian III (238-244). Ae.Obv: ΑΛЄZΑΝΔΡΟV.
    Head of Alexander the Great right (as Hercules), wearing lion skin.Rev: KOINON MAKЄΔONΩN NЄΩ.
    Alexander on his horse, Bucephalus, galloping right.
    AMNG III 734.
    Very fine. 11.9 g.24 mm.
    Fomer SAVOCA coin

B648E9EE-86C5-4E0D-9F6F-03D14C26B64A.png
    Koinon of Macedon.
    Pseudo-autonomous issue circa AD 200-300.
    Bronze Æ
    Obverse: diademed bust of Alexander the great right
    Reverse: horseman galloping (Alexander and Bucephalus)
    25mm., 11,48g.
    nearly very fine
    upload_2019-11-15_20-34-10.png
    Please share those Alexander Koinon, different hats the man/God/King/King of Kings/Pharoa/unified ruler of Greece was depicted wearing on coin, AMCC2 wins or whatever you think adds to the enjoyment and education.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

They are great scores Ryro, it is also a goog collecting theme so many types I have to admit I almost bid on that helmeted Alexander but I'm glad you got it. My only one of that type has architecture on the reverse and even a lot of variety in them. AA-1.jpg
    Roman Provincial. MACEDON. Koinon of Macedonia. Pseudo-autonamous 222 AD to 249 AD
    . Æ (27mm, 11.19 g, 6h). Beroea mint.
    OBV: AΛEΞANΔPOC bust of Alexander the Great right, flowing hair.
    REV: KOINMA KE ΔONΩN.B.NE Two tetrastyle temple façades; in field between, column surmounted by statue.
    Unpublished in the standard references. VF, green surfaces, ragged edge, some smoothing and roughness.

4. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

Really cool to see Alexander on a Roman coin. The reverse imagery reminds me of this Indo-Greek Antimachus II drachm which I got in the last FSR auction. Indeed, Joe Cribb has argued that the reverse probably depicts Alexander as a divine king, rather than Antimachus himself as has been attributed, since the reverse (identifiable by its Karoshthi legend) is usually reserved for a deity.

Alexander?.jpg

5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Fun bunch. How about a Medusa-Alexander with wings?
    SELEUKID Seleukos I - AE20 Bull Butting 1206.jpg
    SELEUKID KINGDOM. Seleukos I Nikator.
    AE20. 6.1g, 20mm. Antioch mint, circa 280 BC. SC 21.2; HGC 9, 92. O: Winged head of the gorgon Medusa, with features of Alexander the Great, right. R: BAΣIΛEΩΣ / ΣΕΛΕΥΚOY, bull butting right; [Ξ] below.

Johndakerftw, Bing, Ryro and 4 others like this.
  6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

The owner way over fed that cat. Not healthy to do so. ;-(

Ryro likes this.
  7. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Great coins! I like this series too and have two of my own.
    IMG_2645.jpg IMG_5598.JPG

Johndakerftw, Bing, Ryro and 3 others like this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Fantastic snares, @Ryro !!! Great coins and funny write up!

[​IMG]
    RR Macedon occupation Alexander - Club Coin chest Quaestor Chair wreath Aesillas Quaestor AR Tet Thessalonika Mint BC 90-70

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Mine is not at all in good shape but the agonistc theme and link to the Olympic games makes it a keeper. O/ΛΥΜ/ΠΙΑ in center
    pz2700bb1927.jpg

10. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Can someone tell me the meaning of NЄΩΚΟΡ on the reverse of the first OP coin?

Ryro likes this.
  11. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

I believe it means Neocourate, as on my coin it has been shortened up and abbreviated to B. NE the B. NE honouring the second neocourate temple.

Ryro likes this.
  12. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Thanks, Ancient Aussie.

Draft saved Draft deleted