Helmet down, shield up, that's the way we like to FIGHT! Part 2, new additions and presentation

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

As my regular CT pals may have noticed, I am really having fun learning about, identifying and of course COLLECTING "Macedonian Shield coins"!
    Though the first types of these coins to pop up lack anything denoting who the King/ruler they were issued by. The type of coin was popularized for/by/in the time of Alexander The Great. I put the term "Macedonian Shield coins" in parenthesis due to the fact that the style was so popular with the ancients that there are many different types made by other non-Macedonian groups including even non-Greeks such as Judean Prutot and Roman Denarius all the way up to the times of the Roman Emperors (see 4th slide for examples of those 2 new additions to my collection)! Why did the style last for half a millennia? Take a look and you tell me.
    Now, I've been dedicating a good amount of time putting these together and making sure my identifications are correct. If you see anything in error please let me know as I do plan on continuing tracking all the different types I come by in this manner. All that said, I hope you enjoy the presentation of the coins.
    One thing not to fail to remember while viewing these, art imitates real life. These coins obverses are miniatures of the shields and their bosses (the decorative and often symbolic center piece of the outside of the shield, often what the strap on the inside for the soldier to grasp was attached to) that the men would utilize while waging war. We may see these as fun images of ancient weaponry. To them it was a reminder of how and what they sacrificed to earn that lump of silver or bronze that we now behold.

upload_2019-8-2_13-56-31.png

upload_2019-8-2_13-57-14.png

upload_2019-8-2_13-57-44.png

upload_2019-8-2_13-58-29.png

There are still a bunch of these coins out there that I don't have and I am sure plenty more that I am not aware of. I do ask that you please post any and all examples of these coins that you have. I am trying to compile a list of all known types (even to the point of flyspecking slight differences), that and I do LOVE looking at them!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice presentation & coins. Nice looking set you have so far.

Ryro likes this.
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Awesome collection, @Ryro ! Big FUN! Great coins.

I am a big fan of Philip II and Alexander III unbelievable impact on History. The Roman’s Legion warfare machine barely edged out the time-proven Makedon Phalanx as perfected by Philip II. I imagine this was why Rome had to rub it in with this Denarius...

[​IMG]
    RR T Quinctius Flamininus 126 BC AR Den Roma Diosc / T-Q, galloping over Macedon Shield S 143 Cr 267-1

5. Ryro

oh snap! Great coin right there...and point. An image so i-coin-ic that they use it to illustrate their might over the Macedonians!
    This is surely going up high on my list of both shield coins and RRs:woot:

Alegandron likes this.
  6. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Love the coins and how you have presented them, great job.

Ryro likes this.
  7. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

A very attractive display and a good way to organize coins by epoch, Ryro.

My Macedonian shield collection would be easy to organize, since I have but the one. Here it is, from Philadelphia:

Philadelphia - Mac. Shield Oct 2018 (imp0).jpg

8. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Great coins and presentation, @Ryro ...your shield collection is really coming along well. That Philip V/Perseus tetrobol is a beauty.

Ryro likes this.
  9. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

What an amazing representation, I guess you were in a creative mood :)
    Also, great shield collection, my favorite is still that Thessalian league coin, it's so cool :eek:. That tetrobol is a great example as well, excellent condition.

My only shield at the moment (I think I shared this one in part 1 of your thread as well):
    [​IMG]
    Alexander III the Great Bronze Coin (320 B.C.) two chalkoi (quarter obol).
    Obverse:
    Macedonian shield, boss decorated with gorgoneion.
    Reverse: Macedonian helmet; B-A to left and right; double axe below left; K monogram below right.
    Mint: Miletos, Ionia. 320 B.C. Reference: Price 2064

10. Ryro

Thanks! And marvelous winged thunderbolt on your reverse:wideyed: Love the monogram as well. Makes the mind wonder whom was it for? They felt by putting it there we would see their mark and be assured.
    And what's up with their off center obvereses? Did they suffer many earthquakes in Lydia?? Employee to many Kevins???
    Though I do have good centering on the one above, here's my first lydian shield coin:

18ADC417-AFF2-4175-BA7C-F29CB61AE81A.png

LYDIA. Philadelphia. Ae (Circa 1st century BC).
    Obv: Macedonian shield with star on boss.
    Rev: ΦΙΛΑΔЄΛΦЄΩΝ.
    Winged thunderbolt within wreath. Control: Monogram above.
    Cf. SNG Copenhagen 343-7 (Monogram).
    Condition: Extremely fine.
    Weight: 2.68 g.
    Diameter: 13 mm.

11. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

Here is one with Perseus facing right as boss:

perseus6800-both.jpg
    Macedon, Philip V 2.14g AE15, Uncertain mint in Macedon
    Obv: Macedonian shield with Perseus head right as boss
    Rev: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ / ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟΥ; uncrested Macedonian helmet
    Ref: Sear 6800, SNG Cop 1241-3
    Purchased from our own Barry Murphy at the New York International, January 2003

Image is from a flatbed scanner, unfortunately.

zumbly, Bing, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
  12. Alegandron

AE Makedonwn Shield:

[​IMG]
    MAKEDON Philip III Arrhidaios 323-317 BCE Æ 1-2 Unit 17mm 4.2g Miletos mint Makedonwn shield Gorgoneion - Helmet bipennis K Price

zumbly, Johndakerftw, Bing and 2 others like this.
  13. Ryro

Thanks @Pavlos! It's funny how boredom at work can induce creativity;)
    That coin had such a perfect strike. You can see the Gorgoneion boss perfectly (right down to the protruding tongue)!
    Man, @Ed Snible, those are such fantastic and hard coins to come by. I haven't came across a single one since seeing yours , and I've been looking like a chubby kid hearing but not seeing an ice cream truck. I'll get one though, even if I have to go to Macedonia with a shovel and trowel!
    Great, for lack of a better word, spooky green patina, @Alegandron :android::snaphappy: but I know you have more shield coins to share:D

Alegandron likes this.
  14. Alegandron

Oh, ok...

[​IMG]
    Makedon Amphipolis Philip V - Perseus - lost empire to Romans - helmet Tetrobol

[​IMG]
    Makedon AE 15mm Demetrios I Poliorketes 294-288 BCE Zeus Athena With shield and spear

Johndakerftw, Bing and Ryro like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted