Hello

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gentlemaninpa, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

More pics bro!

How'd you get into ancients?

Erin

panzerman likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gentlemaninpa

Gentlemaninpa Member

I was on vacation and I walked into a coin shop and i saw these Roman Empire coins and i couldnt believe that they were real- actual coins that were around 2000 years old- a real piece of history -I bought a couple and never looked back.

Its like that quote from Raiders of the Lost Ark:

4. Gentlemaninpa

Gentlemaninpa Member

nero temple januss-l1600.jpg Nero with Reverse Temple, as God Janus

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  5. Gentlemaninpa

Gentlemaninpa Member

domitianfron.jpg domitianback.jpg Domitian Reverse SC inside wreath

6. Gentlemaninpa

Gentlemaninpa Member

maybe titus.jpg maybe titus .jpg Titus

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Welcome @Gentlemaninpa. The mods here are fair. Just remember that what you post should comply with the morality of the 1950s and you should be alright. Even if you are from North of the Mason-Dixon!:yack:

Ryro, panzerman and Curtisimo like this.
  8. Gentlemaninpa

Gentlemaninpa Member

9. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

Rock on dude.

welcome-to-da-hood-wont-you-be-our-neighbor.jpg

Erin

ominus1 likes this.
  10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Bing hit it pretty well. Since the owners wants anyone no matter age, or any other distinguishing characteristics feel comfortable reading the forum or their parents or guardians feel OK. We are specifically for numismatics. Here are the rules, most people get into trouble because they do not read them.very strict on no politics, religious , or world events discussion. Stick with coins and all is OK! Jim

https://www.cointalk.com/link-forums/the-rules.48/

panzerman likes this.
  11. Gentlemaninpa

Gentlemaninpa Member

desertgem- good to know, ty. Ill keep this in mind.

12. TIF

TIF Always learning.

@Gentlemaninpa, something that isn't in the official CoinTalk rules but that you might want to keep in mind...

Starting six threads in one day, especially ones of the "what is this" or "is it fake" type, is not likely to generate interest or good will.

Pace yourself, man :D

Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 5.08.22 AM.png

13. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

in all fairness, i asked to see his coins.

Curtisimo likes this.
  14. peenemuonde2

peenemuonde2 New Member

:D:D

15. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

haha.. the lunatic fringe...

ValiantKnight and Alegandron like this.
  16. peenemuonde2

peenemuonde2 New Member

:yack:

17. Gentlemaninpa

Gentlemaninpa Member

TIF, i thought that one of many reasons why people come here is to identify coins that a non-expert might have trouble IDing, as well as making sure of any past or future purchased were not of- or WILL be ancient or modern fakes.We were all noobs once and you have to learn from somewhere- why not ask the experts?

I thought thats why many of us are on here. I didnt think that people merely came to these boards ONLY to show off their collections. I think that would get real boring.

If I knew what a coin was and someone asked for an ID i would be more than happy to offer it.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  18. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm here for less than a year and can attest that the moderators I recognize by handle are all very knowledgeable and helpful.

19. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I think TIF was just suggesting maybe building on an existing general initial "help IDing" post you added versus multiple very detailed posts in a short span on time, as a way to keep the Recent posts list to remain more clear and diverse and not overloaded or dominated by an individual. That way we can continue to facilitate the variety of conversations that are concurrently happening on the site, since that first page only supports 20 at a time and those conversations that get pushed onto the 2nd page kind of end up "out of sight, out of mind"... Idk if that makes sense. It's just a best practice to allow everyone's voice to be heard (aka posts to be seen)... Your content and intent is greatly welcomed.

Curtisimo, Alegandron and TIF like this.
  20. Gentlemaninpa

Gentlemaninpa Member

I would be more than happy to do that. I just thought that each coin ID should have had its own thread- so people will understand that its a NEW question

How about this
    we can make 1 thread for IDing, and another for inquiring of a coin is a fake?

Compared to most on here I am something of a noob myself , but I am eager to learn....

21. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Looking at the screenshot that TIF posted, I don't see anything wrong with those threads since there appears to be a reasonable amount of time between each one. It's a different story when a dozen or more threads are posted one right after another. That is when threads posted by other members end up getting bumped off the "Most Recent" list.

Just my opinion!

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted