Hello my friends. What is it?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Siberian Man, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Hello.
    I got this coin for $7 and 80 cents today. I don't know what is it. Please help me!
    Best Regards.
    Eugene.
    113.jpg 114.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Siberian Man

And the second coin (I got it for $2). I don't know the name of country, the name of ruler and the date.
    115.jpg 116.jpg

4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

The first is Bactrian, a drachm of Menander (155-130 BC), with Athena Alkidemos reverse. Legends in Greek on obverse, Kharosthi on reverse.

5. John Anthony

I don't have time to hunt it down accurately, but my guess on the second is Tyre, bust of Melkart (the Phoenician Hercules), club reverse. One of the so-called Roman pseudo-autonomous city issues, struck during the 2nd century AD or thereabouts.

7Calbrey, Alegandron and Siberian Man like this.
  6. Siberian Man

Thanks alot Mr. John Anthony!

7. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

The second is a civic issue of Tyre, 238 AD

8. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

238 AD, so precise, is there a date on it?

9. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Yes, its dated, but I made a typo. Here is a description from another example sold by VAuctions:

Lot 86. PHOENICIA. Tyre. Civic Issue. Year 238 (112/3 AD). Æ 24mm (11.30 g). Laureate bust of Melkart right / Club, Tyre monogram above; date and Phoenician legend below, all within wreath. BMC Phoenicia pg. 264, 332; AUB 143; cf. Rouvier 2211 (CY 237).

607825.m.jpg

10. Siberian Man

Thank you very much Mr. Dorney. Please tell me: I see the letters "HAE" on your coin. And I see the letters "АПЕ" on the same place of my coin. Is it the same or different types of coins?

11. Siberian Man

Please tell me my friends: is it Septimius Bassianus Caracalla (198-217)? Anchialos Mint?
    253.jpg 254.jpg

12. John Anthony

It could be the bust of Caracalla, but there isn't enough detail on the coin for me to speculate further.

Siberian Man likes this.
  13. Siberian Man

Who is it: Honorius (395-423)? Arcadius (395-408)? Or Theodosius I the Great (379-395)?

247.jpg 248.jpg

14. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

From the reverse type I would guess Arcadius, but the obverse legend is missing.

Siberian Man likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted