Hello, I'm new. "I like your land... I think I'll stay." - Ancient Question

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by iamtiberius, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Hello,

My name is Michael Higley. In my random 2 AM "Ancient Googling Quests" I happen to come upon this forum. It seems well formed and the members are informative.

So.... I joined. Just a quick question -

I noticed in one of the threads, an individual had posted something concerning Typed or Hand Written Descriptions in Coin Flips. I was curious to what the Ancient Coin
    Community on here thought of 2x2 cardboard holders? That is what I use and have been using to store my ancients. I'm fairly analytical in thinking and enjoy geometric
    visuals. With that, I like uniformity and organization. I also tend to think of the 2x2 holders as protection. Although, recently I find myself disappointed when presenting
    my coins to individuals. The best part of ancients is being able to handle and "feel that weight." Something you can't convey through cardboard and plastic. What do you
    guys think? Should I cut the 400+ coins out of their cardboard coffins and invest in the plastic folding flaps? I was also thinking, as a new member, It would be easier to
    take them out for pictures, instead of getting that annoying reflection off of the plastic. Especially for the bronze coins, which I have such a hard time viewing detail
    behind the plastic shield.

Thoughts? Opinions? Hate mail? Throw it at me.

Thank you in advanced - Mike

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Welcome to the neighborhood, Michael!

How you store your coins is a matter of personal preference. The cardboard 2x2's are certainly the cheapest method, but as you say, it does make it a little harder to avoid the glare when trying to photograph the coins in them. Actually, neither the 2x2's nor the flips offer much in the way of protection. The big advantage to using the flips is the ability to remove the coins for photographs, but you do have to be careful when inserting the coins because they have a sharp edge which could scratch a coin.

There are others who prefer to use AirTites, and this is the most expensive method. The hardest thing to overcome using this method is that many of the ancients have an irregular shape and they may not fit well in the AirTites. I don't collect ancients, so I'm not 100% positive. Maybe some of the other collectors will chime in and address this possibility.

Chris

4. jlblonde

jlblonde Señor Member

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I currently use 2x2 flips as they seem to be the best for ancients. Im also gonna put the flips in a binder/album pages for better presentation. The current way I have them stored, 2x2 long box, blows.

6. dsmith23

dsmith23 Gotta get 'em all

7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Welcome to CT :)
    I've only used he cardboard flips on a couple broken ancients, but I agree that it would look nice to have them all like that. As you said, they can be difficult enough to photograph already with out plastic over them, and you can hold them. You could put a just few in plastic flips to have a few examples to show people. But yes, personal preference is what matters.

8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Michael, I find the problem with 2x2's, especially for ancients, is if you remove the coin you risk staple damage and you destroy the holder doing it. I like to take my coins out, examine edges, examine under stereo microscope, etc. For a slightly higher price, a flip lets you take it out at will, no risk of staple damage, and you have about 4 times more space to write attributions on. The only downside is in an album you have to take the coin and flip it to see the reverse. I don't mind, I like excuses to handle my coins.

9. Thanks guys, I just purchased 400 flips, a new scale that will actually take me to the 100th instead of 10th, and a new microscope. Mine has a horrible light on it. I believe I saw in a different thread something to do w/ word templates? anyone know the link to those? I'll let you know how the conversion goes. This is going to take a while.

10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Various options for flip tags in word & excel format.

http://www.ancientpeddler.com/apgallery/thumbnails.php?album=113

11. Awesome. Thanks Mat

12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I like the 2X2's because they are cheap. Who says you have to put in staples? If you put the coin in the 2X2 and then put it in a 2X2 holder page, the 2X2 stays closed and the coin can be easily removed if you are one of those tactile learners who just have to touch.

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I prefer open trays but when your collection gets large enough that it does not fit in a reasonable bank box it makes sense to put the coins in paper envelopes and boxes never to be seen again. That is why I have photos of all my coins and coins I have not touched for several years. I'm not sure there is a good answer but I get the most enjoyment out of handling coins in open trays for a while after which they get exiled to the bank making room for next year's (or next month's in busy periods) crop. I dislike looking at coins through plastic so paper envelopes that have to be opened and the coin removed bother me less than flips or 2x2's.
    108912617.jpg

14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Is that a current pic of you Doug?

15. areich

areich America*s Darling

Hello

I have a question. Where do you get those boxes?

Amanda

16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

17. cpm9ball

The problem with this is that the pockets of the page expand when a 2x2 is inserted, and removing a 2x2 for photos or just to look at the coin can enlarge the pocket even more, making it easy for the 2x2 to fall out on it's own.

The safest method is to use a flat-cinch stapler which greatly reduces the risk of staple scratches. These staplers are readily available at most office supply stores and are very inexpensive.

Heck, the cardboard 2x2's are so cheap that I could care less about cutting one open to take photos. I usually have hundreds of the various sizes on hand, so putting the coin in a new one is no big deal.

Chris

18. cpm9ball

19. tonedcoins

tonedcoins New Member

use 2x2's and I use flips but I like the idea of the trays.
    Maybe, sense the 2x2's are cheap, you can afford to take them out, photograph them and put them in 2x2's again. But at least now you have a collection of your coins in photographs to show in this place.

There is just many things you can use to display them and like Chris said, it is a matter of preference.
    Welcome

Draft saved Draft deleted