Hello darkside and Help!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Moen1305, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Moen1305

Moen1305 Mysticism and Tyrants

I have these two coins that I pulled from a box of foreign coins and I don't have any idea what they are or if they are real or just copies. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry about the "darkside" comment ;)

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rick

rick Coin Collector

the second piece looks like a cob issue of 8 reales, with the spanish cross... hard to tell from the picture, and I don't collect them but it looks as if it represents itself as 1736

but it doesn't look right.

4. Moen1305

It could be a reproduction but I have no way of telling and I don't actively collect foreign coins but I do have quite a few from all over the world. Would close-ups of any part of the coin help?

5. rick

rick Coin Collector

nah.

to be honest, GD will be along and he will be able to give you much more information than I can - I just don't know that much about them... I've seen some, and your example just strikes me as a souvenier reproduction. I could be wrong.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'm reasonably sure the cob is a replica. It appears it has been plated and the plating is worn off in some areas - the color is all wrong. Both of these things may be due to the pics of course. I'll get the books out and check more closely tomorrow.

As for the ancient - not a drop of help from me I'm afraid. I'm a total newb with ancients - worse even :rolleyes:

7. Moen1305

Thanks GD! You still know 10 times more than I do about the darkside of things.

8. crystalk64

crystalk64 Knight of the Coin Table

The ancient looks "TOO" real and distinct to be found in a box of foreign coins. Personally I think it is a reproduction also but would agree that you need to get the coin or photos to someone who actively collects these coins. Wish you luck!

9. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

The Alexander III (aka `The Great') piece looks very much the fake / repro to me. Exactly what type of fake / repro (plated/ copper core; cast; struck) i'm not sure, but I am 95% confident that it is not a genuine coin.

Ian

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Having checked references for all of the Spanish colonial mints - I am confident the cob coin is not genuine. Sorry Moen :(

11. Moen1305

Thank you. No biggie. I didn't have anything invested in it one way or the other.

Draft saved Draft deleted