Hecate -- goddess of crossroads, witchcraft, and the night

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I was the successful bidder on this tiny coin of Apameia in Phrygia. The reverse features Hecate triformis, and bears one of her titles, Soteira (savior). I'm quite intrigued by the coin.

Apameia pseudo-autonomous Hecate Savoca.jpg
    Severan period, AD 193-235.
    Semi-autonomous Æ 14. mm, 1.46 g, 6 h.
    Phrygia, Apameia.
    Obv: ΑΠΑ-ΜЄΙΑ, draped bust of Tyche of Apameia, right.
    Rev: CΩ-TЄI-PA, triple-bodied Hecate-Soteira standing facing, each wearing kalathos and holding torches.
    Refs: BMC 25.88,110-13; SNG von Aulock 3475; SNG München 131; Sear Gr. Imp. 5065.

Hecate or Hekate is a goddess in ancient Greek religion and mythology, most often shown holding a pair of torches or a key and in later periods depicted in triple form. She is variously associated with crossroads, entrance-ways, night, light, magic, witchcraft, knowledge of herbs and poisonous plants, ghosts, necromancy, and sorcery.

Let's see your coins depicting this liminal goddess!

[​IMG]
    Black chalk drawing of a statue of Hecate, unknown artist, The British Museum.

[​IMG]
    Relief of triplicate Hekate. Three female figures framed in aedicula, with high poloi on their heads, dressed in chiton and peplos, holding torches in their hands. Marble (small), Hadrian classicism. NG Prague, Kinský Palace, NM-H10 4742.

[​IMG]
    Hecate statuette in triple form, S 2173, Roman, 1st century AD, gilt bronze - Musei Capitolini - Rome, Italy.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Agricantus

Agricantus Allium aflatunense

Fascinating coin type, sadly not yet present in my hoard. I can offer a triple cult statue of Diana Nemorensis. CNG picture. One of my better purchases in terms of interest/price, despite the scratches on observe.

6C38E64E-F9F5-420C-B64A-AC3151D3A261.jpeg

DonnaML, Bing, Shea19 and 8 others like this.
  4. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Very nice reverse design, RC. Thanks for your additional info as well. This type of deity reminds me of some Indian or Tibetan 4-headed deities, which oversee all 4 directions.

Roman Collector and Curtisimo like this.
  5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Now I have an Eric Clapton earworm!! :cool:

Ryro and happy_collector like this.
  6. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

Man! I want one of those! An extremely interesting provincial. Congrats! I have only a bust of Hecate from Stratoniceia.

Stratoniceia~0.jpg
    Stratoniceia, Caria. AR Hemidrachm. Hekate/Nike
    Obv: ANTIOXOC, Laureate head of Hekate right, crescent above.
    Rev: STPA around Nike advancing right; all in incuse square.
    Antiochos, magistrate.
    14mm., 1.5g.
    Rusopulos n. 3924 Tf. XLIV

7. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Very cool, RC. I've always wanted one of these types showing Hecate triformis.

Here she is on this provincial of Stratonicaea.

Caracalla - Stratonicaea AE38 Geta Damnatio 2510.jpg CARACALLA [with Geta erased]
    Medallic AE. 28.75g, 38mm. CARIA, STRATONICAEA, circa AD 209-211. Epitynchanontos, prytanis. SNG von Aulock –; SNG Copenhagen –; SNG München –; SNG Tübingen –; cf. CNG 100, lot 1728; for c/m: Howgego 84. O: [AV K M AVP] ANTΩ[NINOC C Λ CЄ ΓЄTA]C K, Confronted busts of [Geta – erased as result of damnatio memoriae] right and Caracalla left, both laureate, draped, and cuirassed; c/m: Bust of Caracalla right within incuse circle. R: ЄΠI ΠPV ЄΠITVNKANONTOC Γ ΦΙΛΩNOC CTPAT[ONIKЄΩN], Hecate standing facing, head left, sacrificing from patera [over altar] and holding torch.

In Thessaly, the goddess Ennodia was identified with Hecate. She too was a goddess of crossroads, magic, and ghosts. Her main place of worship was the city of Pherai.

Thessaly Pherai - AE trichalkon 1931.jpg THESSALY, Pherai
    AE Trichalkon. 8.81g, 21.2mm. THESSALY, Pherai, circa 404-369 BC. Rogers 511, fig. 277; BCD Thessaly II 687.2; HGC 4, 564. O: Head of Ennodia (or nymph Hypereia) facing slightly left. R: [ΦΕΡ]Α[Ι]-Ο[Ν], Lion's head fountain to right, with water pouring from mouth.
    Ex BCD Collection

8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Draft saved Draft deleted