heading out to go metal detecting

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by enochian, Apr 12, 2015.

1. enochian

enochian silver eater

Its my birthday. And the weather is great in the 60s. I baught a ace350. In febuary todays is the first day i will get to use it .

My last detector was the bounty hunter quick silver which is now my wifes.

I even baught my. 3. Year old daughter a cheap $ 20. Little kid detector from. ToysRUS

Wish me luck

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Good luck. Have fun. Show us what you find.

4. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

Garrett Ace 350's are awesome! Good luck

5. enochian

enochian silver eater

Got a great deal on it to

6. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Happy birthday - Hope karma is good for your detecting.

7. OldGoldGuy

OldGoldGuy Members Only Jacket

You better post some success pics! Chances are if I took my daughter out detecting she would find a gold hoard and I would find soda cans

8. enochian

enochian silver eater

Sorry guys got busy and forgot. To update.

Well i didnt find much just a nail and a screwa bottle cap and some kind of aluminum. I was getting hits like crazy bit couldnt find anything?

Im not sure if it was i just didnt know how to us the dd coil. Or the metal detector has a problem

I tryied a sandy area and a school forest.

Every time i got a hit. The identifyier was jumping all over the place.

The built in pinpointer was horrible (strong signal in the air )

I was also using a cheap pinpointer tjat only detects at the end of the stick and my new volcan (detects on sides) which came with the ace 350.

I did get one big dead on hit for 25/50 cents. But i dug and dug and it got dark so i never found it
    My daughters detector wouldnt even make a noise. Not even when touching metal. She was happy jist running around digging

But atleast i jad a goodtime outside with the fam.

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. Stephan77

Stephan77 Well-Known Member

Next time you go out with your daughter metal detecting, and this may seem "unseemly" to you, I hope not, but seed the area with a few hits. For example throw an old mercury dime or something interesting out there and let your daughter find it, with your help if needed. I promise you, she will treasure that moment of the discovery and that find forever. It's up to you.

Mojavedave and paddyman98 like this.
  10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I went yesterday, Monday morning. Did pretty good for 2 hours of detecting with my White's Classic 5ID.
    CAM01178.jpg

Dougmeister likes this.
  11. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Nice find - Looks like playground money.

paddyman98 likes this.
  12. Stephan77

Stephan77 Well-Known Member

The name escapes me, if I heard it I'd probably remember it, but I bought a metal detector out of a 1960's-70's comic book ad as a kid. I think it was $19.99 if I recall, and it was advertised all the time in comic books and elsewhere. Well frankly, turned out that it was a small step above useless.

I haven't metal detected since, but the idea intrigues me, and especially if nothing else as a way to get some exercise which admittedly I could use. There was a local rural store around here which was in business for many years, and they closed at least 30 or more years ago, but the store is basically as is from over 30 years ago. It almost looks as though you could walk right in now and make a purchase except for a few signs saying that it is closed, has the old style gas pumps outside, etc. I would LOVE to metal detect that area if I could but it's of course private property, I don't know the owner, and since it's been "untouched", I doubt if the owner would allow it. But I would invest $500 or more in a metal detector just for that one chance of searching, metal detecting the grounds around that store.

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted