Hazy proof coins...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by NumismaticGary, Jul 12, 2021.

1. NumismaticGary

NumismaticGary Active Member

Jeez I didn’t mean to start a debate. It looks like haze, maybe it is maybe it isn’t. I personally think they just changed up the type of plastic or supplier since 2020. I haven’t opened up older sets, but the one I did open had a very awful smell of plastic off-gassing. Just anyone be warned if they want 2020 and future sets because there seems to be a clear problem going on.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NumismaticGary

Haze would be the start of toning. Eventually you can’t wipe it off or render it invisible.

charley likes this.
  4. charley

charley Well-Known Member

No harm no foul. You didn't. It is simple. I had reached the limit of the phrase "Ya see", and had to do something before I finally blew my face off. That left me with no choice but to state an opinion that does not begin with the words "Ya see". It was self preservation.

NumismaticGary likes this.
  5. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Operative word. I agree.

6. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Sure looks hazy. Like a Brown Ike left in a shop window.

7. NumismaticGary

Those brown Ike’s were pretty infamous for that huh. Wonder what the difference in the chemical makeup is in the plastic used vs the GSA Morgans.

8. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I am curious too. Odd that they both came out at about the same time and are about the same size if not the same.
    I will have to take one of each to work and test it on the FTIR to find out what the outter plastic is.

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'm betting you'll find that the plastic is the same on both. I suspect the inner material is as well.

10. marve

marve Member

11. Sidney Osborne

Sidney Osborne Well-Known Member

You also noticed that the Roosevelts have that proof like Jimi hair curls style...

12. NumismaticGary

then why do you suppose the Ike’s toned up when the Morgans did not? I do not like the idea that it’s ALWAYS the collectors fault.

13. GDJMSP

Many times it is the fault of the collector due to his storage methods or improper handling, but by no means is it always the collectors fault. Sometimes it's simply a matter of chance. There are literally a thousand different variables that can cause toning, and quite often a collector has no control over those variables. You also have to realize that back then, which was 50 years ago or close enough, that collectors had not yet figured out what proper storage methods even were yet. It was still 10 years or so in the future before proper storage methods would be understood. And longer, before they would be widely accepted. Even today a great many collectors still use cardboard coin albums and folders, all of which are harmful to coins. Point being, many folks still refuse to use proper storage methods.

As for why Ikes and not Morgans. Well, as I said previously, the mint was constantly changing things in the minting process trying to help stop coins from corroding - constantly ! Some things worked to a one degree or another, and some things didn't. And sometimes there were differences in the alloys used to make the coins. The .900 silver might be the same, but the mixture of the other 10% could be all over the map. It could be this for one coin something completely different for another coin. Stuff like that matters - and changes things. Lastly, brown Ikes were Proofs, Morgans weren't - that alone makes a huge difference.

The primary thing you need to understand is that for as long as the mint has existed they have made a continuous effort to stop coins from corroding - toning. But, there simply isn't anything that can be done to stop because it is the nature of metal to corrode. And that, that is absolutely not the mint's fault - nor is it the collector's fault - it's just a fact of life.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  14. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Why haven't we gotten to the conclusion that toning of a coin changes every day.

The most difficult determinations of AT QC and mint MS is how much time they spent aging a coin.

15. NumismaticGary

I understand that fact. The point I originally wanted to make is that these brand new coins should not already come this way unless the mint is doing something wrong. I have a 2014 set that's got toned coins but it's not a problem to me because that happens. I wanted to know if anyone else was experiencing the same issue with NEW sets being heavily toned, greasy, hazy, whatever they are.

16. GDJMSP

I understand and readily acknowledge the possibility that "something" happens at the mint that causes this coin or that coin to tone, or develop haze if you prefer to say it that way. My point is, that is just one of many possibilities.

To date, no one has ever been able to figure it out. Not the mint, not numismatists, not anybody. And they have been trying to figure it out for as long as the mint has been minting them ! The one and only thing they know with certainty - is that it happens, sometimes.

Some say it might, stress might, be because of the washing liquid used. But if that is the case why is only this coin or that coin affected, and none of the others are ? They are all washed the same way in the same liquid. And, thinking along the same lines, the mint has changed the washing liquid a hundred times trying to solve the problem. Doesn't matter what liquid is used, it happens still happens to this coin and doesn't happen to that coin. Those things alone produce a lot of doubt that the washing liquid is the problem.

Some others have speculated that "something" gets on the coins during the striking process. OK, but if that is what was happening there would be traces of it on the coin. And no I don't mean a film of some material, I mean traces in the metal itself. If oil and or grease, and or some other foreign material gets the dies occasionally - the metal itself is affected, the strike is screwed up, the detail on the coin is lacking. But that isn't happening, the detail of the coins with haze is just as good as the other coins that don't have haze. So that isn't, and can't be, what is happening.

Can mint packaging be the problem ? All the coins are in the same packaging, and this one gets haze none of the others do. So it's highly unlikely that's the problem.

But what can be happening, and quite easily, is toning. Because the only thing necessary for toning to occur is for the coins to be exposed to the air - that's all it takes. It is the nature of metal, all metal, to corrode, and the metal corrodes for one reason - because it is exposed to the air. And coins, like all other metals corrode here and there. Make a steel beam 30 ft long, and it will corrode - but only in places - not over its entire surface. Why ? Make a thousand coins, some of them will corrode quickly and others won't. Why ? Again, it is the nature of metal, it is a matter of chance, circumstance - not one specific thing that somebody somewhere is doing wrong.

A collector can put 50 coins in an album, all in the same condition when they are placed in the album. They're all obviously in the same album, and the album is stored however it is stored. But of those 50 coins, 10, maybe 15, maybe fewer, will have readily noticeable toning - and none of the others will. Do we blame the collector for that ? No, again, it is the nature of metal, it happens, a matter of chance. The collector did not do anything wrong to those few coins that did tone. They just did and the others didn't. We have seen this happen a thousand times, a million times.

So to say the mint is doing something wrong makes no more sense than saying the collector is doing something wrong. What does make sense, is toning. Because all metal corrodes, just some of it faster than others. None of it ever corrodes at exactly the same time, or in exactly the same way.

All of that said, everybody is entitled to believe whatever they want to believe. And, as is most often the case, people will only believe what they want to believe.

17. NumismaticGary

Would you find it acceptable to keep a set that looks like this? Or would you return it to either get your money back or another set? I sure hope you wouldn’t keep them, more people accept this poor standard, the less reason they have to change anything at all or even look for the cause of this specific issue.

You're repeating yourself not understanding my problem. YES, toning happens immediately, it's inevitable, it happens. But not all proofs come out looking like butt because they immediately developed haze from various different ways with many variables. These sets and coins are problematic and in a complete product such as a proof set, are defective. Some people may like them that way and they can keep them, every collector is different. But I simply do not, and the ACTUAL concern here is how many of these 2020 and '21 sets with hazing I have seen compared to previous years is concerning to me especially paying so much for something that is supposed to look shiny and new. What can be done about it? Maybe nothing. I have let the mint know myself. But this will always happen and always has you are right about that. I started this thread I repeat, because I was curious if anyone else noticed or if I am just the most unlucky guy here :p

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  18. GDJMSP

I'd return it, or ask for a refund.

And, you're far from being the only person who has noticed haze on coins. And as I said before - it has always been a problem - and very well known problem.

19. NumismaticGary

Not just haze in general, haze on these specific new items. Hazing has always been an issue like you said. Was just reading that the 2020 set is very low mintage compared to previous years. Only about 464,000! Could be an investment like the 2012 set. Twice as many 1958 proof sets were made! :)

but clearly getting exceptional specimens will prove to be difficult.

20. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

And yet, it was from "back then" that many more if not a higher percentage of coins have not hazed or toned or corroded, et al, even to this day, with more knowledge about it all. Plus, when talking about 2020-2021 coins...barely/not even a year old...only natural if not common sense (obvious) of some kind of issue more than just chance, storage methods, et al, and other random circumstances (which only stands to reason existed more "back then" than now). The one caveat to it...the sheer numbers/volume from back then compared to today. An astronomical increase in production and sales...products being processed and going out, et al. Much more chance that quantity has somehow compromised quality in ways not fully understood...and harder to understand if not believe possible. But like the old tried/true saying..."they don't make 'em like they used to." Not being critical...just my input...gotta believe something inert by/from the mint/mint holders is causing it way more than anything of collectors, their methods, actions, environments.

charley likes this.
  21. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

One more story/possibility on this. Years ago when hi-tech plastics were all the rage and many things were being converted from known/proven metals to plastic, so it was with water meters. Our city invested BIG bucks in replacing all its old brass water meters with the new, cheaper plastic water meters. Much sooner than later the readers couldn't read the meters because they were developing a hazy "fog" on the inside/underside of the glass (real glass, not plastic like the meter body and components). In increasing cases the meters stopped working altogether. Long story short, it was found to be gasses released from various and negative reactions to the different plastics/compounds in the meters. So much for technology. It WAS finally discovered and corrected but it took many years. I suspect maybe something like this could be happening with holders and plastics effecting coins...different changes in/with providers/suppliers to the mint and/or their manufacturing process/formula(s), etc. Far from an expert, but maybe. For what it's worth.

CygnusCC and charley like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted