Having trouble identifying these coins.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Don wonder, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Don wonder

Don wonder New Member

Can anyone help me identify these?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

The bottom right looks familiar to a Constantine
    I am in no way an expert though.
    Wait for others

4. KIWITI

KIWITI Well-Known Member

Left to right, up and down: Constans, Constans, Gordian III (roman provincial from Nikea) and Constantius II.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

@KIWITI has got it right. How did you manage to come across these coins?

6. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Hi @Don wonder - Welcome to CoinTalk

Our experts here are fast as lightening identifying ancient coins from almost next to nothing.

Here is a little website I spent a lot of time on at the beginning. I love that it is organized with images. You'll be able to find the image on the reverse and even your ruler and then identify your own coins. Also, you will see many of the little variations in reverse images.

https://www.tesorillo.com/aes/home.htm

Justin Lee likes this.
  7. Don wonder

Don wonder New Member

They was given to me by my grand father. I had did previous research and couldnt really find anything. I really appreciate all the help.

8. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

The top right coin is Valens, not Constans.

KIWITI likes this.
  9. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

The Gordian III dates from the 3rd century A.D., the other three from the 4th. They are all in more or less average condition. None are particularly valuable, probably worth a few dollars each, but they all appear to be legitimate. Your grandfather left you genuine coins from over 1,600 years ago. I recommend that your next step be to find out a little bit about each of the emperors depicted, since all 4 coins were issued during their actual reigns.

10. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

:snaphappy: Having trouble Seeing these coins. Don't think I can add anything, just now. But it would have helped if the photos were enlarged. :snaphappy:

11. lehmansterms

lehmansterms Many view intelligence as a hideous deformity

Just a little advice, in case this inspires you (as I hope it may) to go further with ancient coins: when asking for ID help (or even just working on them yourself) it's really a good idea to look at them/photograph them one at a time. Except in the fairly unlikely case that all have exactly the same "finish", your camera is going to try to average-out the exposure and some will come out darker, some lighter than they actually look.
    Center the coin in your viewfinder as large as you can make the image while still keeping it in focus!. Make sure there is enough light shining on the piece to illuminate the surface - some will need more, some less light than others. Some may benefit from oblique lighting that accentuates contrast created by shadows revealed by the oblique lighting.
    If you take a few seconds to consider each piece as a separate photographic subject, you will get far better results no matter what sort of camera you're using. Also - it wasn't an issue here, but often people asking for ID's on a group of coins will pile 8 or 10 into a single email/request, and then it becomes a question of which answer goes with which coin - and an additional, unnecessary riddle to be certain which obverses match which reverses - of course, if you have wherewithal to "stitch" obverse and reverse images together, that's ideal and will prevent that possible ambiguity/confusion in multiple-piece lots.
    We're here, though - and there's almost always someone who will recognize pieces, regardless of how obscure they seem at first, as well as those who are willing to help you with ID's of even the most obscure types.

Draft saved Draft deleted