Having ancient coins When leaving country

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by mani, Jan 17, 2020.

1. mani

mani Junior Member

When leaving or Entering some countries. Having ancient coins is illegal. Like Iran or turkey. . Is it so in usa? For example can Someone post ancient coins from germany to usa?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Yes. In fact I am currently awaiting a postal delivery of a German medieval coin that I purchased and is shipping from Germany.

Nicholas Molinari and mani like this.
  4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I have never tried to bring coins/antiquities with me when departing a country and getting back home, and I've been to Turkey, Jordan, Israel, Egypt, and North Africa amongst regions of the former Roman and Byzantine empires. Then again, there are few if any outlets for legally purchasing these items.

Sure, there are a lot of tourist fakes - ushabtis, amulets, little statuettes of gods and goddesses but coins sold in my experience are extremely scarce. I believe folks in Egypt for example sell antiquities through back channels to other countries in the mid east who export the coins and antiquities to buyers in the West.

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I have brought in coins from foreign countries, but they were SE Asian countries or I was in the military so not the same oversight as regular travelers get. I would never consider taking any ancients to Southern European or Middle Eastern countries, nor buying anything there and bring back with me. Too many bad laws. If I ever bought over there, I would mail it back home to myself.

mani likes this.
  6. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

I have frequently and without any problems travelled from Germany to the US and vice versa with smaller numbers of ancient and medieval coins in my carry-on luggage. To prevent any possible customs problems, I always carried receipts etc. with me to prove that I legally acquired the coins.

mani, Roman Collector and Ed Snible like this.
  7. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

I bought some coins on a trip to England and did not have any trouble bringing them back into the US.

8. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

I have brought ancient coins into the US only once, from Spain, in 2005. I just listed them as "collectible coins" on my customs declaration form (I also had a few modern collectible coins), along with the (fairly low) value I paid for them, and nobody asked me anything about it.

9. otlichnik

otlichnik Well-Known Member

I have hand carried ancient coins out of Israel, Jordan, and Italy, as well as several countries with less restrictive laws (e.g. Belgium, Germany, Austria, UK). Before purchasing the coin(s) ask the dealer if they can prepare the export papers for you. Some dealers are empowered to do it right away, others may take time. A reputable dealer will give you an honest answer. Just arrange it all before you buy - don't try to "wing it" at the airport. Another option is to ask the dealer to ship the coin to you, which allows them more time to arrange the export paperwork and is less risky if they can't get the paperwork - they just keep the coin and refund your money.
    SC

Nicholas Molinari and mani like this.
  10. Andrew McMenamin

Andrew McMenamin Nerva You Mind

I've collected since I was a kid. During my 35 years in the Navy, I've brought coins, including ancients, from many, many countries, back to the U.S., and have never experienced a problem. This includes from 5 or 6 coins, up to an entire collection of over 2,000 coins - again, no problems. Or, like someone else said, sometimes mailing the coins back to the U.S. may be your best solution. Just be familiar with, and follow, the customs laws of the country you're in at the time. My two denarii. Good luck!

mani likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted