Have you ever...?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bsowa1029, Jun 21, 2012.

1. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

Have any of you ever bought a coin on eBay so you could leave feedback that isn't possitive?

I just did, partially. I contacted the seller twice in the past 5 days about a coin seeing if they would consider reducing the price on a BIN, no response either time. So I just bought the coin which I planned on doing even if the seller wouldn't budge on the price because I liked the coin. Now there is a second reason I bought it, so I can leave negative feedback on the sellers communication, assuming delivery is neat and timely.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

That is not an appropriate use of feedback. You are using your personal issues against the seller, who did not wish to lower the price. If you were not happy with his terms, you should not have bought it. Totally inappropriate!

4. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Not cool, if you bought nothing from the seller. He has no obligations to communicate with you. If you don't like his prices move on to the next auction.

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I never sweat the 'small stuff'. You shouldn't either.........

6. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Agreed. This is completely inappropriate. Just because the seller did not respond to you prior to you buying the coin does not mean his communication is bad. He had no agreement with you of any kind...perhaps he felt your offer did not dignify a response. Now, if you tried to contact him about the purchase you made and he still did not respond...then that is different. Now, you have a deal done with him and it is his responsibility to return any messages you send him concerning that deal.

7. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

I'm just aggravated the seller didn't respond. If they didn't want to lower their price that's totally fine, I just wish they would have responded to me about it. And I wasn't planning on giving a full out negative for feedback, just on the communication portion I am not going to give 5 stars, which I think is completely justified from the lack of communication from the seller. I will wait a few days after I receive the coin to leave feedback incase they do get back to me saying they couldn't respond earlier for some reason.

8. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Would it have been nice to respond...yes. But the seller is by no means obligated to do so. Those feedback stars are intended to be used for the transaction. Unless his communication was bad during the transaction process (which from what I have seen it is not)...you have no justification for giving him anything less than 5 star feedback.

9. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

So the secret to get people to buy stuff at the asking price is to not respond to their inquiries........I better write that down, this stuff is complicated!

10. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

I'm sorry to say this but, this is exactly how buyers are manipulating ebay nowadays. They do whatever they want without any morals. I'm not attacking the OP but do buyers realize that negative feedback and a lowered star rating results in the seller losing discounts and offers?

Now reverse this the other way, say a buyer needs to sell something one day and this happened to them. How would they feel? I bet they won't be too happy.

11. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

+1.

Not cool.

That being said, it certainly is a novel way to penalize someone.

12. Pilkenton

Pilkenton almost uncirculated

If he responded and said no he would not lower his price, would you have given him a negative feedback?

13. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

Maybe the seller has been dealing with some type of emergency the last couple of days, or maybe the power was out in his neighborhood. You never know.

When acting on impulse, sometimes we are prone to hurting people just because we can. I'm sure that you'd have reached the same conclusions that we have if you stepped back and considered all of the potential unknown factors and ultimate effects of your action.

Punishing a person for not responding to your questions without knowing why.....that would just be spiteful.

14. softmentor

softmentor Well-Known Member

There can be a lot or reasons for not replying. Sometimes things in life become more important or you are just not able. Accidents, babies being born, who know.
    I don't agree with you leaving neg feed.

15. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Wait, did the coin have a BIN or Best Offer option or just a BIN? Can we get a link to the item?

16. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If this is how you really phrased your inquiry to the seller, then I can understand why he might not have responded. This request is vague, and you should have specified an amount you were willing to pay.

Several years ago, the sellers used to have the upper hand over buyers, holding them "hostage" for positive feedback. Now the tables are turned, and the buyers hold the upper hand. Unfortunately, what you have done is no better than what the sellers used to do.

Chris

17. TexasTwister

TexasTwister Member

Hopefully, the seller specified a 1-day handling time and will upload tracking information by the end of the next business day. Then (s)he'll get an automatic five star rating for communication and there's nothing the OP can do about it.

18. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Why should he respond? He has it listed at the price he wants.
    Should he lose money on a coin just so you can save a dollar or two?

19. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

BTW, you didn't mention your eBay user ID so we can all block you from our sales. And I fully plan to forward your story to eBay as a plea on the seller's behalf to balance out the feedback options. Thank you.

(rolls eyes.)

20. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

What's your eBay screen name? Just want to block you, so I don't have to deal with this kind of .......

21. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

FWIW, I give you both a great big "F" for subtlety. Not a chance he is going to divulge that info now. And since you two forced me to find it on my own, I ain't telling what it is!

Draft saved Draft deleted