Have you ever wondered how people counted tiny coins back in the day?!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by JayAg47, Sep 1, 2020.

1. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

This is a specialized board to count this particular coin from India (19th century Travancore Chukram), the person would just dump a bunch Chukrams and spread it over the board to get 100 Chukrams per spread, rather than tediously counting tiny coins! while this coin is no way ancient it's still appropriate for coins like ancient tiny Greek silvers. I guess people would've also just weigh the coins rather than count them like cavemen :p fanam.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Peter Economakis

Peter Economakis Well-Known Member

Where is the reject bin??
    Seriously though that's pretty cool. How old is this board? It has to be worth something on it's own?

finny, YoloBagels, Edessa and 3 others like this.
  4. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure this is not older than 200-300 years! but I found this picture on an Indian coin dealer's fb page as a cool fact, and not for sale.

5. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

you can find depictions of counting boards on Roman coins associated with Liberalitas
    y35MR4Dim87B2CQxr9L96KoWSz8qqC.jpg

finny, Ryro, TIF and 14 others like this.
  6. TuckHard

TuckHard Well-Known Member

Super cool! I've never seen a surviving example of one of these like this. I mentioned them very briefly (really only included a quote about them) in my thread about the small gold fanams of the south Indian coast. It's cool to see one like this holding a few coins.

7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That's cool, @JayAg47 ! Here's a Liberalitas coin in my collection depicting a counting board.

[​IMG]
    Commodus, AD 177-192.
    Roman AR denarius, 3.42 g, 18 mm, 12 h.
    Rome, AD 180.
    Obv: M COMMODVS ANTONINVS AVG, laureate and cuirassed bust right.
    Rev: LIB AVG TR P V IMP IIII COS II P P, Liberalitas standing left, holding tessera and cornucopiae.
    Refs: RIC 10a; Cohen 301; BMC 4.

finny, Ryro, TIF and 11 others like this.
  8. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

That is a really cool counting board for chucking chukrams.

As Victor and RC note, Roman coins showed these coin-counters fairly regularly, usually with the goddess Liberalitas (sometimes called an abacus in descriptions, but I think this is an error).

From a FORVM listing:

"Liberalitas coin types attest to occasions when the emperor has displayed his generosity towards the people by a distribution to them of money, provisions, or both. The first mention of Liberalitas was on coins of Hadrian. It was a type frequently repeated by the succeeding emperors. Indeed these instances of imperial generosity are more carefully recorded on coins than they are by history. Liberality is personified by the image of a woman, holding in one hand a counting board, or square tablet with a handle on which are cut a certain number of holes. These boards were used to quickly count the proper number of coins or other items for distribution to each person. In the other hand she holds a cornucopia, to indicate the prosperity of the state and the abundance of wheat contained in the public graineries."
    https://www.forumancientcoins.com/c...fld=https://www.forumancientcoins.com/Coins2/

Here is a sestertius - you can just make out the coins/holes in the coin-counter:

Severus Alexander Sest Liberalitas May 2019 (0).jpg

Severus Alexander Æ Sestertius
    (229 A.D.)
    Rome Mint

IMP SEV ALEXANDER AVG, laureate head right, draped left shoulder / LIBERALITAS AVGVSTI IIII, S-C, Liberalitas standing left, holding counter and cornucopiae.
    RIC 575; Cohen 136; BMC 561.
    (14.33 grams / 28 mm)

Volodya, finny, Ryro and 13 others like this.
  9. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Very interesting. I'm still stumped by the purchasing power of later debased antoniniani and late roman AE4's. Must have needed bags of the coins to buy anything. Not unlike the mark during the time of the Weimar Republic.

Kentucky, DonnaML, Edessa and 2 others like this.
  10. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Bags of coins indeed!

From Wikipedia:

"In the past the word 'follis' was used to describe a large bronze Roman coin introduced in about 294 (the actual name of this coin is unknown [1]) at the time of the coinage reform of Diocletian. It weighed about 10 grams and was about 4% silver, mostly as a thin layer on the surface. However, later studies have shown that this is wrong, and that this coin may have been known as a 'nummus'. The word follis means bag (usually made of leather) in Latin, and there is evidence that this term was used in antiquity for a sealed bag containing a specific amount of coinage...."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Follis

finny, TIF, Limes and 3 others like this.
  11. Trebellianus

Trebellianus VOT II MVLT III

By the time of the later empire it seems like many transactions were handled by way of sealed bags containing conventional amounts of coins -- such a bag was known to the Romans as the follis (the use of this word to refer to individual coins is a long-established error, as I understand it).

On one of the mosaics at the Villa Romana del Casale we see two sealed bags labelled follis.png which is taken to be an abbreviation of 12,500 denarii -- i.e. 12,500 denarii worth of base-metal or silver coins. Presumably the former.

bags.jpg

We see a few labelled bags in the Chronography of 354 as well:

Personification_of_the_city_of_Constantinople_-_Chronography_of_354.png = 1,000

Personification_of_the_city_of_Rome_-_Chronography_of_354.png ∞CCCC = 400,000(?)

Marsyas Mike, Volodya, finny and 11 others like this.
  12. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Haha - bags and wheelbarrows filled with coins!

finny likes this.
  13. Larry49

Larry49 Active Member

Hungary BELA IV.jpg This tiny hammered silver from Hungary (Bela IV 1235-1270) is only 9mm diameter, and so light that it is hard to imagine that coins like this were not easily lost. Dealer's description:

HUNGARY
    BÉLÁ IV
    1235 - 1270 AD.
    AR OBOLUS,

Obv: Castle bastion above crescent, lilies to left and right.,
    Rev: Hebrew letter ח (Chet) in a floral wreath,
    Hungary, 1235 - 1270 AD.
    Huszár 307 (RR) 0.17g. aEF/VF

(I think the Hebrew letter, probably the initial of the Jewish minter, is actually on the other side.)

Marsyas Mike, finny, JayAg47 and 2 others like this.
  14. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Cool! Can you parse out the symbols? I recognize XII, of course, but I don't know what to make of the first or last. (Edit: now I see that the "asterisk" is the symbol for denarius, although the machine I'm on at the moment doesn't want to render the Unicode version.)

I did run off and Google "Roman numerals one half", but that seemed to indicate they'd use S (semis) for one-half. (I didn't know that there were Roman numerals for fractions, never mind that they were base-twelve!)

finny likes this.
  15. Sidney Osborne

Sidney Osborne Well-Known Member

Could cavemen count to 100...?

16. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Man that coin board has to be special I have never seen anything like it before thanks for posting it along with your thread.

finny and JayAg47 like this.
  17. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

There were several sizes depending on the coin. I was unsuccessful on the following lot a few days ago, but I wasn't really trying hard either. It counts 100 and 200 chuckrams and one for 250 copper coins:

[​IMG]

Marsyas Mike, finny, JayAg47 and 3 others like this.
  18. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I have a couple of these coins. Here is an idea of how small they really are...

jun21 030 copy.jpg
    jun21 034 copy.jpg
    jun21 036 copy.jpg
    jun21 043.jpg

Marsyas Mike, finny and JayAg47 like this.
  19. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

They used "digital" calculators. If they removed their sandals they had pedally enhanced calculators and could get up to twenty.

20. JD Bartlett

JD Bartlett Member

How did people carry such small coins?

JayAg47 likes this.
  21. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

In their mouths.

JayAg47 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted