Have you ever seen this DDO?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by joecoincollect, May 23, 2015.

1. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

I was going to sell this bag of coins for 3 dollars a pound. I took what I wanted out and thought nothing good was left. However, I was reading about DDOs and just happened to look again at this bag, and boom! Found a very cool DDO that you can see with the naked eye, although it's a smaller coin. You can see it in the date and engraver/artist initials at the bottom. I couldn't find a good resource yet for world error coins but I haven't seen this one yet. Have you? I like it because it's obvious and similar to expensive US DDOs that I'll never own.

HoosierDaddy and Aidan_() like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. joecoincollect

4. joecoincollect

5. joecoincollect

6. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Active Member

7. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

Holy crap! That's an awesome doubled die! There are some very strong doubled dies on foreign coins it seems. Great job!

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

That is a nice example of doubling, but I don't know how scarce it might be. I'm inclined to think that some foreign mints don't have quality control standards as strict as others.

Chris

9. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Good job finding this one! Now you know what to look for but the QC guy usually has some kind of vino w/lunch overseas so these will be plentiful.

joecoincollect likes this.
  10. joecoincollect

I think finding many of these uncirculated would be difficult. Do error collectors in the US stick mainly with US coins? If errors like this are plentiful among world coins, I'd assume error collectors would be all over this stuff, since it deals precisely with what they are looking for in coins minus the country. Anyways, is something like this considered a variety or error? I'd assume it could be both, since because of an error they made the die this way and a variety because it's significantly different than the regular issue. Thanks

11. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

Some country's people are just glad to get paid so they can buy food. They could care less if it is doubled, or digested by a camel thrice.

12. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

It's a die variety.

13. joecoincollect

Okay, so it's a variety. But wasn't it also done in error, ie not intentionally? So is it an error too?

14. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

awesome find! I struggle to find doubling on foreign coins. The best one I found was in someone else's collection unbeknownst to them.

15. joecoincollect

Thanks. I looked through most of my coins and only turned up this one and a Bulgarian coin. The latter is from 1954, and both sides look to have doubling in the letters. I think this is common for these issues and from this country. But my Belgium one looks a lot nicer. I'm happy I found it because now I'll be searching more mindfully from now on

Seattlite86 likes this.
  16. Seattlite86

I trade world coins and I have a few duplicates so I don't thoroughly search all of them, only when I'm about to trade them away. I actually found a DDO and a wrong thickness planchet in some of my Argentinian coins so I will post those in a bit.

joecoincollect and eddiespin like this.
  17. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

@Seattlite86, let's definitely see it. You guys, I love foreign doubled dies. I'll post the one that hooked me on them, again. @joecoincollect, that's real nice one, good eye.

18. Seattlite86

I just posted them. Cheers.

19. Seattlite86

This is the one I found that is regrettably not mine.[​IMG]

20. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I have to look away, I'm getting vertigo. :D

Here's mine, again. This is doubled all over this side...

1972 Y 5D DDO1.jpg 1972 Y 5D DDO2.jpg

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    joecoincollect and Seattlite86 like this.
  21. Seattlite86

Yep, I have no idea what to make of what kind of error it is, whether it was double struck, or somehow a DDO.

Draft saved Draft deleted