Have you ever made your own coin display?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by phankins11, Feb 6, 2015.

1. I was able to make a template with a hole saw bit, drum sanded it out to size. I used the template to router 3/16" oak veneer. I painted a separate square piece black on the inside, clear poly'd the outsides, glued and sandwiched the two pieces together in a home made book press. Then used a router kit to cut it into a circle. Oh and used my vinyl cutter to cut out the bio hazard symbol.

As with most projects I take on, it always sounds easy in the beginning. But in the end, I'm pretty happy with the results. Round coin display.jpg

Gilbert and dwhiz like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

That is awesome! ^^^^

4. Thanks phankins. This second one was easier. I used solid oak, using the same template. Coin Holder 2.jpg

5. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Actually I made another coin display for our wedding which may be much more amenable to showing off a collection of Philippine coins.

I used 2 thick (not the standard thin as that looks too cheesy) pieces of plexiglass, maybe 18" tall by 15" wide and a thick piece of black plexiglass cut out so as to only include a 1" border which would be on the inside. Thus you'd have a large flat panel, made up of the 3 sheets of maybe 1/4" or 3/8" thick plexiglass for each sheet.

Inside the panel I placed maybe 12 - 15 coins, each inside a completely clear "Kointain" which used double sided clear tape on the edges of the kointain to affix it inside the panel. Below each kointain was taped a short description of each coin.

I think there were one or two rows (4 across) of Ancient coins, 1 or 2 rows of European coins, including an almost unc Polish Thaler (1634), some US coins, and some crowns from Latin America.

The whole assembly was mounted on one of those plexiglass tilt bases at maybe a 60 degree angle. With this assembly both sides of the coins could be viewed. It used heavier brass bolts holding it together and had a clip which attached to a 1/4" plastic coated steel cable which locked it to the table tho guests could pick up and examine the panel.

This was made in 1998. I've looked thru my photoarchive but cannot find a photo right now as I'm in Brazil right now & most of my photos (& the panel) are in the US. It was a bit higher end than many generic displays. Also, today, I'd get a trophy shop to simply make the panel for a few dollars, rather than doing it myself.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  6. Gallienus

Also had made by a jewler & gave this to my niece for her 1st Holy Confirmation. Coin is enclosed in 2 curved plastic pieces so it can't be handled or scratched. She wanted a coin with a cross on it so I chose a Roman gold tremissis of the Empress Aelia Pulcheria (ca. 450 AD). Reverse is a Christian Cross. My sister-in-law (her Mom) took this pix with her cell phone after the coin was delivered so pls excuse the blurriness.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
    saltysam-1 and dwhiz like this.
  7. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

That pendant is really cool! Did he charge alot to make the pendant?

8. Gallienus

No, well it depends what you mean by "a lot". I thought it was very reasonable. I used the same guy for 3 pendants made now. Gold Wolff Jewlers in Flaggstaff, AZ. I let them pick the sterling silver chain which I now think couldv'e been a little better. I was trying to save money after the coin & the coin mount (18K). I think the guy's name is Peter over there: he should remember making the piece.

Showing coins is very nice but if not protected the coin can obviously get damaged. The prongs also supposedly have plastic pads on them so they don't mar the edges of the coin. The coin I bought for the occassion out of Gorney & Mosche. I got it back when "common tremisses" were semi-cheap.

9. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

Thats really cool! I might have to look him up, thats a really neat to display a nice coin as jewelry. Ive had a nice seville 4 reale put in a custom bezel to fit its odd shape as well as a macedonian tetradrachm and a japan BU rectangle coin. But I can never use too nice of coins because of the wear the coins will get from rubbing all the time.

10. Norman182

Norman182 Member

You can purchase a compass cutter which is adjustable for 1-15cm mine is made by a company called Jakar you can purchase them on the bay great for doing mount card for your coin collections

11. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Draft saved Draft deleted