Have you ever made your own coin display?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by phankins11, Feb 6, 2015.

1. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

Let me clarify. I often want to make a display for some of my collection out of my own materials. I'm wondering if there is a die/punch set out there that has the exact sizes of U.S. coins. I obviously would put high end coins in material that would harm them, but I think it would be cool to take cardboard or poster board and punch the holes out for my own quarter display or circulated wheat display and frame it for my office.

Anyone know if there is a punch set out there for this? I've looked around several times for this, but all I end up finding are the tools to make coin rings.

In addition, I figured I'd ask if anyone here has made their own display, if so let's see pics. Remember, if there aren't any pics, it never happened.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. omahaorange

omahaorange Active Member

I have actually done this. I was looking for a way to frame and display a set of the territory quarters to go with my framed sets of state quarters (nice boards that I bought when the series started) . I could not find a commercially made holder, so I made my own. I used high-end foam board from an artist supply store. I thought about making a punch by sharpening and forming a thin piece of steel, but in the end used an insert from a five coin year set as a template and an exacto knife. Photo shop and good printer paper made the overlay. P and D set all fits in an 8x10 frame.

If there's one nearby, check a Michael's Craft Store:

http://www.michaels.com/

They may have what you need.

phankins11 likes this.
  4. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Yes lots of times

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The coin is held by an interior plastic coin sleeve, thus it doesn't touch the plexiglass. Later versions use a black lucite core instead of the black cardboard. Additional liners can make the display as thick as you need: for very fat ancient coins.

Also you can attach a security cable (wire) and lock it to a table if your'e giving a presentation to a group of people. Finally they're practically unbreakable. These are designed for a smaller # of high value coins though.

coinzip, Eng, micbraun and 6 others like this.
  5. OldGoldGuy

OldGoldGuy Members Only Jacket

I made a display for the zombucks series, out of an old mahjong case. Then I saw some member post HIS display for HIS zombucks collection. I don't even deserve honorable mention. If you haven't seen it, search for "wood burning"...and yes....he took it to that level.

6. phankins11

Definitly A class act on the zombucks storage box. I remember when @JimmyS posted his airtight album pages with the inspiration coin in the middle and the zombucks types around it. but had not seen his box. Thats kinda what I'm talking about for ideas.

@Gallienus those are nice, especially as a display for a show.

No dice on the punches thogh, huh?

7. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I'm on a mission to build one now. Already started, but still have some "figurin" to do. When it's finished, I'll show it off. Only problem it may be a year from now.

phankins11 likes this.
  8. phankins11

I don't care, I still wanna see it :happy: what will you be displaying?

9. Hommer

A complete set of US/Philippines coins. I'm lacking a couple but the spot will be there and (Hopefully, fingers crossed here) filled by the time I'm finished.

phankins11 likes this.
  10. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

you may have to make your own punches out of pipe or sockets...

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You might look for a gasket punch set but finding the exact size will be tough. Finding the material that is safe for coins may be tough as well.

12. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

A co worker, an engineer, made state quarter displays out of plywood big enough to hold quarter capsules to protect the coins from any residual effect of the wood. Then trimmed out with hardwood edges and used Lexan to cover the board. They were very nice.

phankins11 likes this.
  13. Hommer

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  14. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Use wood drill bits or forstner bits (available in tons of different sizes) and make a jig. Maybe sandwich the cardboard between two pieces of wood with the desired hole size in them so the the edges come out clean.

15. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

No but I had some made by Capital Plastic

16. George Corell

George Corell Member

Several tears back I was asked to place the Confederate piece you see as my Avatar on display at the Tropicana in Vegas. I had my own punch made in a machine shop I service as a quality rep. It worked well. Sorry did not take pics back then, but had a ball explaining the mysteries of Confederate coinage, both acknowledged and yet to be acknowledged. My Confederate piece is 1st and goal to go toward encapsulation as original and genuine.

dwhiz, saltysam-1 and phankins11 like this.
  17. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

I made these to display slabs on...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gilbert, Clutchy, Kasia and 3 others like this.
  18. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

We had a guy in our club that made these, he passed away before Christmas. Now we have a company here in Seattle that makes our holders. We have a Banquet at the end of the year, which i'm the food chair. they make this holder for each of the officers.
    sawholders 009_opt.jpg Boeing coin Club.
    sawholders 011_opt.jpg
    They mint a 1 1/2oz. coin in Silver, bronze, copper and pewter. they also make a 3 and 4 coin set, which i don't have.
    I think the same guy made this holder for my club, it maybe a capital holder to, can't remember where they got it, they gave a few out as gifts.
    sawholders 005_opt.jpg
    For the last two years we have a elongated cent machine for our Boeing club coin show.
    We are having this new company making a few of us a elongated cent 6 coin holder, cent, nickle, dime, quarter, half. dollar.
    i'm having them made( dime, quarter, half) in silver and the cent in steel. when there done i'll post it, they have made one set and looks awesome.
    Boeing pictures 009_opt.jpg
    This is a copper cent made for our show....

coinzip, Jwt708, dwhiz and 1 other person like this.
  19. Pere

Pere Active Member

20. phankins11

@Pere with the home run on the drill bits!

All the other displays are great. All kind of inspiration.

21. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

moose.png Does this count? CoinDisplays 003.JPG

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
    coinzip, Clutchy, Kasia and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted