Have you ever lost a coin?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by YoloBagels, Aug 22, 2020.

1. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

I lost two unc morgan dollars and a BU indian head cent a few days ago in my house (they were in airtites).

Haven't been out of the house since so I know they are somewhere here but I just can't find them. It's very frustrating but I know one day they'll turn up. Have yall ever had to deal with this? I can't be the only one.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Yes, two or three. One so long that I completely forgot about it and found it moving furniture a couple years later

Kentucky and YoloBagels like this.
  4. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Had an 1887 IHC in my pocket when I went to the gym. It was no longer in my pocket when I left the gym.

YoloBagels likes this.
  5. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Same here...Morgans, four or five of them. Don't remember where I put them.

YoloBagels likes this.
  6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. It happens.
    I once found an ancient coin in my tax papers. Another time I found a Silver Eagle under the sofa while vacuuming. I'm sure I've lost more, but I have forgotten them. Those are just the ones I've found!

7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Lost a roll of Indiana state quarters. Not a big deal. I just liked the race car.... And I did lose an Apollo gold commemorative that I keep hoping will turn back up. I lost it during my knee surgery recovery. I was often doped up on pain pills. No telling what I may have done with it.

YoloBagels, ldhair and C-B-D like this.
  8. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I am missing an 1859 Au silver 3 cent piece!
    And for the life of me...I never loose anything,and can pretty much tell you how much I paid,and who I purchased from.
    But this 1859 has disappeared 1859 lll obv..jpg 1859 lll rev..jpg

NOS, YoloBagels and C-B-D like this.
  9. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I don't understand how this happens. It has never happened to me.

YoloBagels and C-B-D like this.
  10. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Ouch that's not a good coin to lose.

11. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Fixed it for you.

I'm reminded of my late dad, who suffered from age related cognitive issues. He had two small pocket flashlights that he obsessively carried with him at all times. Every night he would put them somewhere, and every morning we'd spend hours searching for them. I soon enough learned to skip past the logical choices and go straight to the highly unlikely ones . . . like stuffed inside a sock in his sock drawer, or in his refrigerator. But of course!

GH#75, NOS and CREATIVECRHUNTER like this.
  12. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

I lost several silver coins about 2000 years old within a couple hours of receiving them in the mail. For some reason, I put them in my pocket, still in the plastic bag which they came it. Same pocket as my motor cycle key. When I got home after a morning ride, no coins. I could only figure they fell out when I pulled the mc key out from the pocket down in front of the 7-11. I now make a personal rule to not carry any collectible coins in my pocket!

13. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

I keep an inventory database including location. But as I age, we'll see!

14. Cachecoins

Cachecoins Historia Moneta

I was cleaning an ancient coin from an uncleaned lot, it was very small but good detail...it fell into the drain and because it was so small it washed away. It wasn't worth taking apart the trap just in case. :)

Roman Collector likes this.
  15. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I have the two Lewis and Clark 1904-1905 early commemoratives -- somewhere.
    I was going away for a couple days so I hid them -- somewhere.
    That was a couple years ago.
    If you could see my Man Cave you'd understand.
    One of these days I'll have to completely go through the Man Cave.

16. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Yes, I too have "misplaced" coins, but like you, I knew it never left the house, so much later I found it inside a magazine standing upright on the floor. The coin, in a flip, had falling off my chair side table and in-between the pages. LOL I've also had coins slip down between the arm and seat of my recliner, but cured that by spreading a faux sheep skin over the chair so that "black hole" is covered.

17. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

Never lost a coin but did mis-place a child once. Survived that but only because the wife was complicit. Eventually found the boy in the church sanctuary drinking the leftover grape juice from communion.

Mike Davis and C-B-D like this.
  18. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

Sometimes, things aren't always lost. We may think they are, but other things could happen. I had a silver dollar that my mother gave me when I was a teenager. I kept it with my Bible and never told anyone about it. It disappeared about 20 years later. One day, I got a call from a man that I knew. He said my 9 year old daughter wanted to buy some candy with a silver dollar. He wanted to know if I had given it to her. I told him, no. He told me he would hold it for me until I had a chance to come by and get it. I jumped out of my chair and went to the store. She had gotten a 50 cent piece of candy with it. I thanked the man and gave him $20. He wouldn't take it, but he said I owed him 50 cents for her candy, which I gladly paid. I won't say how I handled it with my daughter. I just wanted her to know I was disappointed in her for stealing out of a Bible. That was 35 years ago. You never know who you can trust.

19. AcesKings

AcesKings Well-Known Member

My son got into my collection when he was about 3-4. When I went through everything to put everything back in order, I found I was missing my 1890 PR Indian cent. I wound up finding it about 10 years later in the back of a linen closet.

UncleScroge likes this.
  20. Goldsayshi463

Goldsayshi463 the person who says "hi" all the time

oh i lost a 1091 G-4 indian head, some silver dimes, and a gold plated quarter (2000-P)

Jim Dale likes this.
  21. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Yeah im pretty wacked at myself...I've looked everywhere...a mintage of 364,200 a tough coin to replace.

Draft saved Draft deleted