Have you ever found a gold certificate?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Legomaster1, May 29, 2019.

1. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

I know that gold certificates are really rare, and hard to come across, but, it's not unheard of for people to deposit them in a bank.
    I recall that someone (either on this forum or on another) found a $10 gold cert. in circulation.
    Although this is a "once in a blue moon" ocurrence, and I personally haven't found one, I was curious whether any of you fellow paper money collectors have obtained one.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I personally haven't found one, but my dad works at a grocery store and all the tellers bring him the interesting stuff that comes through their tills. One of them happened to be a $20 gold cert. This was probably 15-20 years ago.

4. gold standard db

gold standard db Active Member

I found a $10 gold cert in 1998, when I was a cashier. I got bored without any customers and started marking all the bills with the counterfeit detector pen. One was marked fake, I looked and it was a beat up 1920s note. Switched it for a $10 of mine and sold it for $50 at the coinstore downtown.

paddyman98 and furryfrog02 like this.
  5. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

I've never been lucky enough to find a gold certificate in circulation. However, a few years, I received a well-circulated gold clause FRN in change with the numerical seal. 1928 $10 .jpg

6. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Anything obvious would be placed out of a someones collection
    Or if they were hard up just buy something with it, however
    I havent been that lucky...LOL

7. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

My Dad found a gold $20 back in the 1960’s. Still has it.

NOS likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not in circulation I haven't.

9. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I believe they are automatically withdrawn by banks if found, just like any denominations larger than a $500 bill.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  10. CaptainMK

CaptainMK Active Member

Not in circulation but you never know, someday I might get lucky...…….maybe....probably not with my luck.

11. SilverMike

SilverMike Well-Known Member

Not in circulation but a family friend found a $100 gold certificate in her late husband’s desk drawer in an envelope. Together we got it graded and sold it. She was absolutely thrilled because when she found it she had no ide what it was or that it had any significant value.

12. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Heck, the oldest I’ve ever found myself was a 1985 $1....

I had a friend sell me a 1969C $10 that he got in circulation for $15 once :(

CaptainMK likes this.
  13. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

In 1969 I was making a deposit with my paper route money and the cashier who knew I was a collector showed me a $100 gold certificate that her father gave.

14. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

What's the story with Gold Clause FRN's ? Haven't done much work on them.

Why issued....difference vs. GC's ?

Draft saved Draft deleted