Have you ever cracked a coin out of a slab?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by pumpkinpie, Apr 27, 2012.

1. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie what is this I don*t even

Have you ever? what TPG? What tool(s) did you use?
    I recently cracked a low value NGC coin out as the slab was so scratched, pitted and dented. I put it sideways into a vise and turned the handle until I heard a "pop" or "crack" noise. nothing got damaged, and it seemed pretty quick. I am now noticing that the white insert is surprisingly flexible instead of hard plastic.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. goincarcrazy

goincarcrazy Spends His Money On Money

I have. I have a Dansco type set that I cracked a couple of coins for. I just took some pliers and cracked around the edge enough to pull the rubbery white insert out of the side.

4. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Many times, last one was about an hour ago. I like to buy MS65-66 Jefferson Nickels and crack them out for my album collection.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Whenever I crackout a coin I only use one tool.

[​IMG]

Wrap the coin in a hand towel, hold it upright on a wood block cutting board, and give it a good whack, or two, or three until it breaks.

5. bradarv90

bradarv90 Member

No offense, but I really don't like the toning on that coin. Is it really that yellow or is it a bad pic?

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Why do you think he cracked it out?

7. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Not me, but I have found some good advice on how to crack slabs on youtube:
    [video=youtube;10w3R6Go0zM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10w3R6Go0zM[/video]

8. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I'm partial to a hammer, channel locks and a pair of snips. I hate cracking out the PCGS slabs. I'll have to try wrapping it in a hand towel next time, good advice.

9. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I have a cheap 1976 bicentennial quarter in a slab that looks good but it needs to go into my album. Maybe I'll try a blow torch on it just for kicks.:devil:

10. Lehigh96

The photo is spot on. Sorry you don't like it, I think it is very cool!

11. Numis-addict

Numis-addict Addicted to coins

that hurt to watch. Anyway, whatever happenend to the Blentec Total Blender, or whatever the official name was. "Will It Blend?"

12. Numis-addict

Numis-addict Addicted to coins

This is 1909-s VDB dust, dont breath this!

13. thecointrader

thecointrader Lurking Since 2006

Pumpkinpie: I also use the vise technique. It's worked perfectly every time... except once... when the slab suddenly flew apart and the coin went flying into the air (first) and then onto the floor (second) while I was dodging plastic shrapnel at eye level. Be careful, use safety glasses, pad the floor etc etc etc

14. Lehigh96

The advantage to cracking coins out of their slabs is that you can start a new collection; a slab insert collection. Very cool!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dwhiz likes this.
  15. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yeah, I did it today but I cheated. It was a Canadian Token and the TPG was ICCS. ;)A quick grab of the scissors and it was over in 5 seconds. :D

Attached Files:

16. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Yeah, I've done it. I've cracked out a few MS FBL Franklins for my album and taped the labels to the album behind the coins they were for. I also cracked out a MS-64 1921 Pilgrim commemorative for my US type set. That's probably the most valuable one I've cracked. I don't like to do it. I only do it if I want something to go in an album. Otherwise, everything gets left in their slabs.

All I use is a hammer. Its not the best way to do it I'm sure. But it works. I just hammer around the edge and the corners. It shatters into hundreds of pieces but it stays together like safety glass for the most part. Once I get enough pieces off, I pull/bend both sides out, away from the coin and slide the insert out once there's nothing in the way to scrape the coin.
    Slabs are tough. They are great protection.

17. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Never on my Type coins m but my Bust halves all get cracked out . Take two vise grips and tighten one on each side and snap . Best to do it over a carpet or something soft . ICG is the easiest , PCGS and NGC are about the same .

18. MZimm

MZimm Junior Member

PCGS and NGC and PCI..... 3" c-clamp.. place on narrow sides and tighten until u hear crack... place on clothe and cover then walk away come back in 30 minutes and holder is cracked on both sides... then slide coin out.... works every time....

19. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Yes.

PCGS, NGC, ANACS

PCGS and NGC a pair of channel locks on the top corner of the slab, away from the coin. Couple of good twists popped the seal on the edge.

ANACS, the older ones, I used a small flathead screwdriver and depressed the tab at the top edge of the holder, and it popped right open without damage to the holder.

The clear ones in the PCGS slabs are the same as well :thumb:

20. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Yep - waiting for one to show up now. Mainly PCG, NGC, NCS and Anacs - those are about the only ones I buy. Mainly bust halves, liberty nickels and large cents - all for my albums. Of course I just put the labels in an envelop and keep it with the album. I have a large size tin snips to use - pretty easy to do.

21. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Yup, I cracked 2 ancients out. 1 from NGC and one from ICG. Wrapped in towel, held tightly and hammered on the edges carefully & done.

Draft saved Draft deleted