Have to sell my small collection

Discussion in 'Auction Listings' started by somebody, Apr 4, 2005.

1. somebody

somebody New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pennycase

Pennycase New Member

Looks like a decent price I suppose... i've seen less go for more in a few instances... ummm, might think about maybe takeing a few pictures of the nicer coins, like the large cent, maybe the unc quarters, etc.... When I sold my u.s. collection off in small parts, I got several requests to at least see a couple pictures of the nicer coins...

4. somebody

somebody New Member

Alright, thanks, I'm gonna try to get some up close shots of some of those now

5. somebody

somebody New Member

Do you think $250 is too high for buy it now? If it is, what do you think it should be at?

btw - I'm going to scan a few of those coins tomorrow.

6. Pennycase

Pennycase New Member

Hmmm, I'm not sure man like I said, i've seen less go for more than your buy it now... It just depends on if someone is into buying collections or not... but remember, people on ebay are looking for deals....

7. somebody

somebody New Member

Someone is watching it so at least they will probably bid.

8. Pennycase

Pennycase New Member

I've found most of the bidding starts within an hour of auction closing......like I said, they are looking for a deal, but, that's when and if a bidding war will start, i've had items that have had 9 watchers, and only 2 bidders so I hardly rely on the amount of watchers anymore...

9. somebody

somebody New Member

I added some info about the foreign coins now

10. somebody

somebody New Member

Did I write something bad about some of the foreign coins? My one watcher isn't watching it anymore

11. Pennycase

Pennycase New Member

Other than most of them are Canadian no... I don't rely on how many people are watching the auction... i've seen 9 people watching one of my auctions before on a vintage item, and no one bid...

12. somebody

somebody New Member

Most of them aren't canadian, almost 100 aren't.

13. somebody

somebody New Member

14. Pennycase

Pennycase New Member

Just noticed you have 0 feedback.... I don't know, the pics are ok I suppose, better than i've seen anyways, but, it's hard to sell things for the right price with 0 feedback....

15. collect4fun

collect4fun Senior Member

If I may jump in and make a suggestion. The starting price on the flying eagle cents is fair, but shipping at $5 is a little steep. High shipping costs will turn people away. Those two coins can be shipped for less than 1.50 w/ delivery confirmation.

16. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

It makes sense: “0“ feedback, and excessive shipping. Obviously someone who has not done much or any business on ebay.

Most bidders look at a coin, decide what they will pay, then deduct the shipping and bid the balance as their high bid. If you overcharge on shipping, they will bid less on the item. Unless you are going to charge $5 for shipping, but only spend $1.50 to mail them (which is a sleazy move, in my opinion), then the only people who benefit by high shipping is the Post Office. I’ll bet they think eBay is the best thing going for them. It amazes me the number of people who ship at premium services without giving the bidder a choice.

I once bid on a coin and won it for $3,and the buyer unashamedly tried to charge me $3 for shipping,. He had no trouble charging as much as the coin itself. His position was that his time, gas, trouble, etc. was worth $3 even if it was going to be a 37 cent stamp on the envelope. My position is that when I walk into a store and bring something to the cash resister to buy, I don’t expect them to start tacking on extra charges for their heating bill, rent, etc. A small additional cost for special packaging material that might be required for a fragile item might be valid, but miscellaneous charges are not.

Just my opinion.

P.S. – Ultimately, if you have quoted you shipping charges in advance, then you have done nothing wrong, regardless of how high they are. But, if you have high shipping, don’t be surprised at low or no bids. I have lost interest in many auctions when a $1 or $2 coin was going to cost me $3 or $4 to ship.

17. somebody

somebody New Member

I changed the shipping to $1.50 now. I hope I get some bids

18. somebody

somebody New Member

I guess I probably won't, 19 hours left.