Have to ask the Experts

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Murillo, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Murillo

Murillo Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, Going through some old coins and arranging them by dates. Came across this coin and was hoping someone could give me an idea of the date on this coin? I've done this before on this site with other coins and have to admit I was totally shocked that I rec'd answers.

So I'm asking again if someone could possibly get close to a date for me? Much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

With the small space between the 9 and the last number, I assume it is 12-19. With the curve on the bottom of the last number, I am leaning towards either 13 or 18.
    My money, of which I have none, is on 1913.

Here is a 1913 from coinsandcanada.com
    [​IMG]

5. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

6. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Well-Known Member

I would lean to 1913 as well it could be 1918 I what looks like a 3 almost for sure but it could be the end of an 8. Since George V came to the Throne in 1911 and Canada ended the large cent in 1920 it can not be any other years

7. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Image directly over the coin with less glare might help. As it is, and if what we can see of the last digit truly represents where it is and isn't the result of damage causing metal to move, or not really part of the digit at all, then 1920 is my guess.

All of the 191x coins have the right edge of the last digit ending somewhat centered on the vertical left side of the D in CANADA, and level with 19. The 1920 has the right edge of the 0 somewhat to the right of the vertical line in D, and the bottom of 0 seems to be a bit below 19.
    1920_1c.jpg

The Eidolon likes this.
  8. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Lot of research going on and not a response from the OP. A simple thank you would suffice

9. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

It's just a very common, well-worn Geo V one cent. You can find coins like this in the 2-3 coins per dollar in dealer junk bins. 1911-1920 is all it can be.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  10. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I'm on the 1913 camp. Just playing cards or something . ;)

11. Murillo

Murillo Well-Known Member

WOW! Absolutely AMAZING!! Thank you everyone for your response, not sure how you can figure this information out. So glad I joined this site, many experts indeed!
    Again Thank you & Happy New Year!

buckeye73 and goossen like this.
  12. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Can't be 1911. That is a one-year "Godless" issue.

13. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

FWIW, next time, put a hint in the title - better participation. "Ask the Experts (Canada George V cent)" would be better.

14. mike estes

mike estes Well-Known Member

either 1913, 1915 or 1918. that last number, the bottom of that last number has what I believe is a curve back towards the front.... am I close?

Draft saved Draft deleted