Have this happen when out and about?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coinup, Feb 26, 2012.

1. coinup

coinup Junior Member

On my way back from a gun/coin show yesterday, I stopped for a quick bite at one of my fav fast food places...while waiting for my order at the counter, I glanced down at the March of Dimes donation box - it's one of those about the size of a shoe box and made of pretty thick plexi (I think), and appeared to be completely sealed and bolted to the counter (I'll explain later how I know this). As I started to examine the coins, I spied a wheatie just off the side partially covered by a quarter...it looked to be about F/XF, no luster...but clearly a wheatie.
    I must have used every angle I could to get a better look, and I know the box was bolted down because I tried to shuffle it around to get a better look - lol...when the cashier brought my food, I asked if there were any way I could grab the penny for an exchage of a 25 cent donation (knowing my chances were slim and none), she said they had no control with that and it was managed by the MoD people...so, all I could do was eat my fish sandwich and grimace at the possibilities.... :binky:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

This would have been a good episode of Seinfeld if George had been a coin collector, don't you think?

4. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

I never looked into the donation bins but I do know that the store itself has no control. Its usually the fund raiser that holds the keys to the box. But sometimes I do wonder if there is silver or a nice 1909 cent in there.

5. coinup

coinup Junior Member

Couldn't say - never watched that show...

6. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Ah don't worry about it. Guaranteed it was a common from the 50s. There was so many billions of them that they're pretty much all you're going to find in pocket change these days. Some people are amazed to find a wheat cent. I view it as you almost should for how many were put out there. Finding them is inevitable.

7. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

I've had this happen, once time at subway but with silver quarters.

8. coinup

coinup Junior Member

yeah, pretty sure it was a common date - but I still get that "going down a steep hill" feeling in my stomach when I spot one!

9. Just imagine if you saw a nice collectable coin in a fountain...time for a swim? :D. TC

10. rickyh211

rickyh211 Member

Wouldn't the water damage it?

11. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Same here. I'm glad to meet someone else who never saw that show.

12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Working as a teacher, in another teacher's class I saw a collection she was taking up for some charity and it had a buffalo nickle in it. I substituted it for a quarter (not a rare date).

13. bonbonbelly

bonbonbelly Feel MS68 Look AG3

It could have been something good. Ya never know. Some of my circulation finds from last week.

1972.jpg GEDC2338.jpg GEDC2330.jpg

14. coinup

coinup Junior Member

nice....

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Probably not as long as it stayed submerged. Water itself is actually pretty harmless to most metals. Water in combination with some other things though can be quite damaging.

16. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Kind of similar, I always look in the "leave a penny, take a penny" trays at every counter I pay at. I have swapped out many a cents lol.

Draft saved Draft deleted