Have some continental currency....

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Joy Matherne, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Joy Matherne

Joy Matherne Pro life for coins...

Was wondering if someone can help with authenticity? 15972568615794014272195385509657.jpg 15972569054056501789138768578508.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

I hate to break it to you, but that looks like a fake you'd find for sale at a battlefield giftshop.

4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Boy, there are so many reproductions of this type of currency, that it's hard for me to tell, but maybe more experienced collectors of that type of money can help you. Good luck.
    As a kid, I remember getting a lot of this and other copies, from breakfast cereal boxes and it always looked real to me. LOL

Oldhoopster likes this.
  5. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Sorry Joy, but these are replicas, I still have some that I got when I was a kid and visited a Revolutionary War site. One easy way to tell that it's a replica is that originals were signed and serial numbered in handwritten ink. Yours are printed.

6. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

The bills appear to be modern reproductions.

7. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

As others have said yours are items that would have been purchased in a gift shop. Here are some similar ones for comparison. Surviving examples are typically in pretty rough condition.

Delaware01.jpg

8. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I am not a bill expert. I have these two and the signatures on the notes are obviously written in ink while the remainder of the note is printed. It's pretty easy to tell the difference even in the poor shape my bills are in. Sorry Joy.

IMG_4036.JPG

9. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I am with others. obvious fakes. One, obviously photocopied and not printed. Two, signatures and numbering not in ink different from bill nor signed by hand. Third, paper not right. The real bills usually printed on vellum, yours printed on "aged" modern paper.

I am not a great expert on these either, usually getting certified examples when the price approaches 4 figures, but know enough.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    ZoidMeister likes this.
  10. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Heck, even the Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery could see that . . . . .

(But the edges are aged . . . . . )

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  11. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Btw @Joy Matherne , it is a very interesting area of US collecting, colonial paper money. In fact, besides proof platinum eagles, its the only area of US numismatics I still collect.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted