Have a Laugh

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Al Kowsky, Oct 20, 2019.

1. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Allow me to share my coin show screw up from just a few weeks ago! My vision has gone to crap at short range as I'm closing in on 50 years of age. With my bifocal glasses my vision under 21/2 feet is moderately crappy, without them...well you'll see. I usually take a pair of 2X magnifier reading glasses to the coin shows, but I lost them somewhere at the show. No big loss, they were 3 buck glass. But I didn't have them when I found this dude that had a English hammered coin mixed in with a bunch of random stuff like struck Indian princely state coppers. I asked him what it was and he said he didn't know. I searched for some English pennies online and couldn't figure out what it was, gave up searching with the spotty internet connection. I thought it was cool so picked it up off of him.

Here it is...

100_1950.JPG

Oh yikes, look at all those blobs you can clearly see with good light and decent magnification. Didn't see them at the show.

Edge...
    100_1919.JPG

Oh yikes, what an edge. How did I not see that.

At home searching on a nice big monitor hooked up to my PC with a sweet internet connection, I figured out it was a William I penny in about 5 minutes. Not the type of coin you would fin thrown in the the miscellaneous bargain bin coins. I really don't think the seller had any idea what it was, and I didn't spend much money on it, so I'll just added to my fake coin box.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I did not post this immediately because the coin is so similar to the OP but it is not a die match.
    pb0110b00252lg.jpg neroedge.jpg

Orange Julius likes this.
  4. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting Doug ;).This coin screams FAKE :jawdrop:, although they did a good job disguising the edge seam. What is the coins weight ?
    fake-emoticon.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted