Has Your Interest In Foreign Coins Increased?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Evan8, Jul 6, 2022.

1. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I know there has always been interest in foreign coins, but have there been more collectors interested in collecting them?

I myself have always kept an eye out for interesting coins from any country, but with the increased prices and demand of US coins, have anyone else shifted their interests, even slightly, for more reasonably priced foreign coins?

Personally, I feel like I have gotten more interest in them lately. Wondering if anyone else has as well.

I bought this awhile back for example:
    1974 10 Francs PCGS SP-66. 7300 minted. The art deco style is wonderful.
    4z7i6p2cme67.jpg 7vzk2kkpby19.jpg iat4x08goug9.jpg

Not a massive fan of its TruView
    33063554.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

There was a time that I wouldn't give foreign coins a second look. It's a different story now. I've been collecting Canadian Cents and Canadian silver dollars, Ireland Coins from 1928-1968, a variety of French coins from the WW1 era and German 2 Reichsmark coins, WW2 era. Many are affordable, well within my coin budget and many have beautiful designs....I especially believe that French coins have some of the best designs....that's just my opinion

MIGuy, expat, serafino and 3 others like this.
  4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I say yes.... 53+-+Argentina+1941+1+Centavo.jpg 7B8F02F6-B131-4EA5-ABD5-048F6774E7D9.jpeg.jpg 20220422_082007.jpg 20220422_082035.jpg 20220613_105256.jpg
    Since its been years that the US mint put out anything that intereat me. 20220613_105233.jpg

5. Paddy54

More bang for the buck....besides better designs , US same old...same old.... and when they triex to go retro to my liking the timeless designs looked cartooish.

6. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Since I was about 8 years old, my interest in foreign coins has never decreased. :D

MIGuy, expat and Evan8 like this.
  7. ddddd

ddddd Member

I have liked foreign for a number of years and continue to pick up designs that I like (while also still pursuing US coins). Here are a few relatively recent purchases (both modern):

1163051-1.jpg 1163051-2.jpg 58863782.jpg

MIGuy, expat and Evan8 like this.
  8. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

much more so in recent year's... ddddd's posting of the above 1 Lat has me on the edge of buying it's 2010 version (in green niobium) but I'm still resisting lol...

MIGuy, Evan8 and ddddd like this.
  9. Evan8

I do remember awhile back that those bi-metallic coins were very popular. Are they still being made?

ddddd likes this.
  10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Foreign coins have definitely been picking up in interest and price for a few years now. More and more collectors like more of the type set style collecting or just buy what you like instead of doing full series which generally gets kind of boring for most people. A mint mark type set has been popular too for one of each but most don’t really want to have to buy a 100 Morgan’s for a complete set as an example, and most sets have at least one show stopper for the majority of people for a set anyways

The increase in the internet market has really exposed people to a lot more things and made it possible to find nice foreign coins as well which obviously increases the interest.

expat and Evan8 like this.
  11. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

I have a silver Canadian half and silver Canadian 5 cent. I also have a USA Philippine one centavo 1944.

Evan8 likes this.
  12. Evan8

It's amazing how my coin I pictured above has a mintage of 7300 and paid under $200 for it. A US coin with that low of a mintage, you can't find for under $1000, and even that would be cheap it seems.

13. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

You're NOT helping me resist this purchase lol... (the Niobium coins had a mintage of 7k each)

Evan8 likes this.
  14. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

If it was anything popular for the US 1000 would be a steal too. Couple years ago that coin you posted would probably have been completely overlooked or under a 100 too. Obviously a countries own coins will generally be the most popular but the market is definitely strengthening for the world coins.

Evan8 likes this.
  15. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Always found foreign coins attractive upload_2022-7-6_23-22-48.jpeg
    upload_2022-7-6_23-25-36.jpeg
    upload_2022-7-6_23-24-8.jpeg
    upload_2022-7-6_23-26-26.jpeg

MIGuy, Evan8 and expat like this.
  16. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I prefer world coins. So much more variety. If you are a topical/themed collector like me...you have many choices to choose from with world coins. The older I get the more I enjoy thee older dated stuff 16th, 17th, 18th century designs better. Once I get my 2 toned Canadian sets completed I will move on to more expensive coins. I will of course need to pay down much more credit card debt first.

I have been wanting to save up for these 2 Islamic gold fatimid designs that I find fascinating to look at...

238955fghfghvbnvghiukluyudefh copy.jpg
    and this 1...
    1183882357_fatimidgold.jpeg.78688ecfe914f35b376c23215c9c65e8.jpeg

They are quite expensive in higher grades $1,500-2,500. These are not my coins. After way in the future after these 2 coins are bought I think I will search out 17th and 18th century German States coins.

feel-the-power copy.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
    Paddy54, Evan8 and MIGuy like this.
  17. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

I mostly collected from buying assorted lots of lower grade US silver and early copper and cherry picking auctions for some years. That's how I put together my first SLQ collection - then I got sucked in and migrated up (ever a work in progress). When silver prices went up a few years ago, I found I could get better bargains on world coins (and medieval coins which I've also become interested in). I lived in Africa for a while and always keep my eyes open for interesting (mostly 19th and early 20th century) African coins - I especially enjoy some of the animal themes. As to bimetallics, lol, I have the 6000 mintage 2014 $5 Canadian tulip nobium / silver which scratched that itch for me for less than $50 earlier this year, and a really nice French 2004 5 Euro of "The Sower" (Marianne) which has an insert that is made of .750 gold weighing 2.7 grams in a body of .900 silver weighing 22.2 grams. It was about $200 recently, with a mintage of only 3000. (Canada mint photo of tulip bimetallic for reference, I need to drag mine out to photograph, but it's still in the airtite from the mint)
    5euro2.jpg 5euro1.jpg nobiumtulip.jpg

spirityoda and Evan8 like this.
  18. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I went the other way. At a young age, I built a rather large foreign coin collection. The little money I had went a long ways. At some point I went with just US coins. Today, I don't buy many coins. It has to be something special to me.

19. Paddy54

Larry you and I are pretty close in age as well time spent in the hobby. Now in the 1960's In the US world or forien coins weren't collected as much as US. Now two things 1 US up to 1967 one could find silver in their change. If like myself a paper boy one delivered as well collected monthly. Your change bag loaded with silver, buffalos,war nickels. Most monthly cost of a daily & Sunday paper around $2.85.
    Thats the reason for having change in case a customer paid in bills.
    So most US collectors had access to silver coins, as well silver certificate and red seal $2 bills.
    Another point is that the regular Joe and family did not travel by air...they drove...the family truckster on vacation. If you lived on the east coast plenty of P coins, not many at all D & S mm could be found.
    I imagine that the same was on the west coast plenty of S mm but no P's.
    Military did travel and probably were the reasons some world coins were available. Also coin shops im sure ordered in bulk lots for their inventory.
    CW tokens ha...were in the junk cigar box on the counter top like a quarter a piece.
    Same for world specimens very cheap little demand...
    So the advent of air travel for the middle class..not just the rich or business travel .
    In fact when you did fly...you were dressed for...no sweat pants, you actually dressed for travel .
    I will say that two members here Spirityoda and Lord M both have sparked my interest in collecting world coins.
    I always had a few as yes on family vacation we went to Canada so in those days you exchanged US dollars to Canada then back if you needed to... the rate was as I recall $1.10 CAD / 1 USD.

serafino and spirityoda like this.
  20. Paddy54

What really disapoints me...is the RCM, The Perth mint, as well a few othe countries put out not only a better quality products , and design...and the US cannot even come close to either quality or design.
    Its a shame that even the US mint remake of 3 designs in gold looked horrible ....designs that were timeless now looked like a cartoon.
    And what really makes me mad...is when you read in coin world here are the designs for the new coin...
    You look at all the artist designs... you pick 1 that does speak to you,and....they pick a design that looks like crap!
    Again another reason why World coins are surpassing US coinage.

serafino and spirityoda like this.
  21. ddddd

ddddd Member

Yes Austria continues making the niobium coins (started in 2003 and still going in 2022). Latvia only made 3 (2004, 2007, and 2010). Canada and a few other countries made some too but none so far this year.

MIGuy and Evan8 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted