Has this ever happened to you?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CommemHalfScrub, Apr 3, 2020.

1. CommemHalfScrub

CommemHalfScrub Active Member

I am working on building a set of classic commemoratives and recently purchased this beauty, or so I thought. Here are the images from eBay, and then here are mine after it just arrived. I paid a fair bit above market value for it because it looked like a superb example of a Monroe half, which is uncommon. Has this ever happened to you? do you think its a big difference between the two? Frustrating... upload_2020-4-3_14-47-26.png upload_2020-4-3_14-47-44.png upload_2020-4-3_14-47-58.png upload_2020-4-3_14-48-9.png

J.T. Parker likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Looks like the seller had the coin so the lighting didn't show those smudges as much. You can kind of make them out in the seller's pics after seeing your pictures.

CommemHalfScrub likes this.
  4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

For what it's worth, the barcode checks out. Looks like skillful glamour photography on the seller's side.

5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Oof.... Yes it did. I purchased an MS65 SLQ. The photo was a stunner. It arrived and had a black fugly toning scuzz all around the perimeter. The photo hid that schmutz superbly. I called the lady and pegged her on it. She explained that the toning highlighted the devices.... Yeah, right..... Yes I think the photography on your purchase was misleading.

6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Photography...who was the seller? There are sellers known for inventive photography.

7. CommemHalfScrub

It doesn't seem like one of those sellers, its an LCS out of Florida. I'll definitely be returning it though. Sometimes things like this make me feel picky, but I go out of my way to pick out the nicest of the coin I want and then pay good money for it. Guess its just another downside to buying online.

8. CommemHalfScrub

Yeah, there are definitely ways to make a coin look better in a photo, and I'm all for making the coin you are selling look nice, but there is a limit to how nice you can make it look before you are altering reality and disappointing the buyer when they receive it.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  9. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

Hello Halfscrub,
    I don't think anyone should have to apologize for wanting the best for their collection.
    I use to Q.C. O-rings for the seismic industry and was congratulated for being extremely 'picky' in letting parts pass inspection.
    That has carried over into my collecting, if you pay for excellence, you should receive excellence.
    Return that bad-boy!
    My excellent MS-65 2¢ worth,
    J.T.

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Great photography but I'd file a complaint and return it as not as advertised.

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'm seeing luster in the ebay pic's (reverse) and none on the op's pics (reverse). OP's pics seem fuzzy and out of focus to me........That said, anytime you buy online you're taking a chance. I agree that the photos can be manipulated but I don't think the ebay guy did all that bad with his photogs. They were in focus.

mynamespat likes this.
  12. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I've never had that happen. I think you may have got a bad deal. I did get a Monroe Doctrine in change in the way back days.

13. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Some of those eBay sellers are very good photographers *wink,wink*

14. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I once bought a trade dollar, only to discover that the seller had actually photoshopped out a distracting mark in the obverse field! Incredible.
    back it went!

Inspector43 likes this.
  15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You don't have to "alter reality", all ya have to do is get the angles of the camera and lighting right. In other words, no photo-shopping or editing of the picture is required - if you get the angles right.

You're a new member so you likely haven't ever seen these pics, but I've posted them many times for many others to illustrate the same thing I'm telling you. Take a look -

1911_Proof_half_crown_obv 1.jpg 1911_Proof_half_crown_rev 1.jpg

1911_Proof_half_crown_obv.jpg

1911_Proof_half_crown_rev.jpg

Now I took both sets of those pictures within a minute of each other, it's the exact same coin in both sets. And I didn't change the camera settings in any way. All I did was change the angle of the lighting by a quarter of an inch. And that was the result.

Now I don't know what the seller of your coin did, or if he did anything at all. The only thing I do know is what I'm showing you above. The seller may be completely innocent of any wrongdoing, or he may be guilty as sin - I don't know.

My point is, neither you nor anybody else does either - because of what I'm showing you above. And sometimes it's important to realize that.

In the end, you don't like the coin, so you should return it, and I strongly encourage you to do so.

Hookman and Derek2200 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted