Has this coin been cleaned?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GaryLomax, Jun 2, 2017.

1. GaryLomax

GaryLomax I collect, therefore I am

1969-D Kennedy Half.... 40% silver obviously. I am new to collecting JFK 50 cent pieces, I bought this off the bay with a stock photo. Its supposed to be BU.
    Now, this is the first 40% Kennedy I have ever owned. So not sure about it but in hand I see some hairline scratches, lack of luster, and the reverse is very shiny compared to the front. Also, the edge has tarnish the sides do not.
    Any thoughts? Or am I just overthinking a mediocre coin?
    20170602_204058.jpg 20170602_204058.jpg 20170602_203922.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It sure doesn't look BU to me!

Chris

4. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I don't think that it has been cleaned, and it either has a touch of circulation wear or it has about the most bag marks that I've ever seen on a Kennedy half. In either case, it's probably worth about the same, the silver value. If you are just starting to collect Kennedy halfs, do your first purchases with some coins in hand; perhaps a local dealer or show. They are pretty inexpensive overall, so you can usually cherry pick the higher grades without paying a premium on raw coins. It's a fun set to do, it it has spanned over half a century now, and it is a large set if you do the proof only issues as well.

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not cleaned, just circulated. Not BU either. You're basically buying that coin for the silver value as in that condition, it's not worth much over melt. 40% Kennedy's have .14790 silver content, so based on yesterday's closing it should be worth about $2.55 give or take a little.

Draft saved Draft deleted