Has this coin been cleand and grade opinion if not...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by phankins11, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Nasty Carbon Deposits ....

4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I agree that the coin appears to have corrosion. If you were to submit this, there is a good chance it would come back with "environmental damage" as a tag. The coin appears to have been in the ground, or in a similar damp, dirty environment. When it was found, it was cleaned.

I would call it VF details (and not high VF - max 25, in my opinion). The overall detail is way too weak for EF. Looks especially at the shield, her head, thigh, and breasts, and the eagle's neck and leg feathers. Compare the present coin to the examples here: http://www.pcgs.com/photograde/#/Seated25/Grades

5. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

My guess is VF35-XF40 details/cleaned. Shame because it's a beautiful coin; I don't own a problem free rays coin (yet).

phankins11 likes this.
  6. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Agreed; I think this one was dug and cleaned.

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Are you implying that Doug doesn't bathe that often?

Chris:)

Kentucky and Insider like this.
  8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Since you had asked what PCGS would grade it, as a general rule for them AUs will have to have luster. No luster XF is generally going to be your max in most series

9. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

After reading all the replies I went and opened this thread with my phone so I could enlarge the OP coin. That really changed my view. There is definite corrosion, obvious cleaning, and wear I couldn't see with the laptop images. XF is generous although this is still a really nice coin with detail it has too many problems. Sort of like my vision time for some new glasses I guess the girl at the vision center knew what she was talking about too.

Draft saved Draft deleted