Has this 1890 Morgan been cleaned?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kevin Farley, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Active Member

Any pointers on how one can tell for sure when it comes to borderline cleaned coins would be appreciated. Not saying this is borderline

Attached Files:

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Looks like it some areas almost appear to be dissolved and disturbed metal by an acidic reaction.Especially the reverse on the eagle.

Kevin Farley likes this.
  4. Kevin Farley

Bummer. Is it the darker areas in the fields that tells you that? Also if one were to send it in to be graded would it return as cleaned?

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Almost hard to tell based op Pics provided , can you provide close-up ?

Kevin Farley likes this.
  6. Kevin Farley

These work? Or is the lighting not good enough? Took these a while ago with my microscope

Attached Files:

capthank likes this.
  7. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Also note no luster and the weak mushy design details,its not an MS coin high AU,details at best my opinion.

John Burgess and Kevin Farley like this.
  8. Kevin Farley

Seems pretty harsh, but I appreciate the insight and respect your opinion

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  9. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Wait for some other opinions.

Kevin Farley likes this.
  10. Scott2020

Scott2020 New Member

It has been cleaned...imho

11. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I don't know ,I kind of like it . Maybe it's just me .;)

12. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The surfaces have an etched look to them as if the coin was dipped for too long. Having said that, the 1890-P dollar tends to come with muted luster which might be a contributing factor to the overall look of the piece.

It is a decent album coin, but it would not be worth paying for grading fees.

13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

@Kevin Farley, does the light just bounce straight back at you? Or when you tilt it does the light move, spin around, do a little dance for you? There's your first sign it's cleaned, when the light just sits there, motionless, like it's dead.

Kevin Farley, capthank and johnmilton like this.
  14. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

decent video about cleaned coins, really gets into it at about 3:00 mark. Morgan dollar at 6:30.

Mountain Man and Eric the Red like this.
  15. Jim-P

Jim-P Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the video, it's helps me seeing the side-by-side comparison between cleaned and uncleaned.

16. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Short answer: Yes...to some gentle degree IMO. The faded or muted luster...what's left...does not appear natural or "minty" as from the mint.

17. Kevin Farley

It has multiple pivot points for cartwheeling

18. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

the catch is the turning in my opinion, although I wouldn't do it like he does haahhaha!.

Rotating it under light should highlight trouble spots with the reflectivity of the surface.

As far as cleaning, that's a lot of toning and schmuts in the 8 and 9 what I'd expect to see around the stars in her hair and around other lettering also,,,, and between denticles, hard to believe it only collected right there on the coin in my opinion. Could be the lighting as to why it looks flat and grey So I'll reserve the opinion, but I don't think it was "harshly cleaned". I do suspect it was dipped and worked on though to clean it up, maybe a dip and q-tip clean up job, but the markings I think could be just that, some rub and contact marks, and it still falls into low mint state and grade out.

Is this coin 1890-P VAM-1I?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  19. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I think it looks overdipped, either left in the dip too long, or dipped too many times over the years.

20. Andrew Snovell

Andrew Snovell Active Member

21. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Looks dipped, but not a harsh cleaning.

Draft saved Draft deleted