Has the state quarters lost thier charm

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jamesrnz, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Jamesrnz

Jamesrnz New Member

I have been trying to sell rolls of unc state quarters with no interest.(ebay)
    any thought where to sell these?
    Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

The individual coins are still plentiful in change at face value. If you aren't willing to hang onto them for decades, I'm not sure I can recommend anything better than a bank; they won't pay you more than $10 per roll, but they also won't take a 10% cut, and you won't have to pay shipping.

Welcome to CoinTalk!

4. Robert91791

Robert91791 Well-Known Member

Where did you get them?

5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Honest to goodness..... Several months back I helped a friend liquidate a collection he inherited from his deceased father. His father had over a thousand dollars face value in mint state rolls of state quarters. After making several inquiries with no interest whatsoever, the quarters were simply deposited in the bank..... From a personal perspective, I do believe the mint has worn us out with ever changing designs. The excitement over these quarters that was prevalent in the early 2000's is long gone.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  6. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Similar to the Post Office Dept.
    They over-saturated the market and stamp collecting took a dive.
    Still hasn't recovered.

Inspector43 likes this.
  7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Overproduction and so many different designs so quickly over saturated the market
    and quelled the enthusiasm.
    That being said, if they aren't clad proofs or silver proofs, there's only a few low mintage issues. In the territories US Virgin Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, American Samoa and Guam.
    Some low mintage in the ATB or parks series:
    El Yunque, Chaco Canyon and Acadia are the only ones that will carry a premium down the road.
    After that, the best ones will be Yosemite, Gettysburg, Hot Springs, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Mt. Hood, Glacier, Olympic and Vicksburg.
    Really what can anyone do with an uncirculated roll of state quarters?
    Are they from the mint? If they are from the bank in a Loomis type roll, it's face value.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    *coins, Inspector43 and LA_Geezer like this.
  8. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

State Quarters lost their charm the day after they were introduced.

9. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

What about the State Quarters?

10. V. Kurt Bellman

Your own state's pieces usually do better in the home state than elsewhere.

11. LA_Geezer

Maybe that would explain why I don't recall seeing many Louisiana quarters — even shortly after their release. Getting ANY state quarter in change these days is very rare, although I did get a Delaware in change in the past week. The Virginia quarter has never appeared in any of my change at all... had to get them from eBay.

12. V. Kurt Bellman

And OH BOY! We get only a few months to come up with an American Innovations dollar design in my state! Yummmmm-myyyyy.

The United States Mint - We make coins, and beat horses to death. Oops! Congress' fault, not the Mint.

*coins, RonSanderson and Inspector43 like this.
  13. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The state quarters are fun to collect. I try and get the best example I can from circulation for my folder. But there's really no value.
    I am up to Voyageurs now (finally got an acceptable Apostle Islands) and there's a new one coming out next week.
    In terms of value, if it's not a proof coin, the massive amounts of coins that were produced will insure that these will remain 25 cent value for 100 years.
    There are a few coins that have "errors" (mostly die breaks) Delaware spitting horse, Wisconsin extra leaf, Washington DC doubled die reverse, a couple others.

14. V. Kurt Bellman

I have, in addition to the "with proofs" Danscos, a Harris map board for both the staties, with the territories, and the ATB quarters, all pulled from circ. The ANA cash registers at Philly were AWASH in mint state Idaho state quarters. D mint.

The Wendy's at 30th Street Station had brand new 2018 cents and dimes. No nickels though. Even fewer nickles. :troll: Mmmm, shinny nickles.

15. LA_Geezer

I think I read somewhere that the Hawaii quarters may be a bit rarer, but the source may have been discussing that 5-ounce silver thing.

16. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Here in Michigan I get all states it seems. I've only recently have looked at them as I saw a D.C. quarter error here in CT which I now look out for. I don't think I'll go through the existing quarter hoard I have stockpiled to search for it though.

I also bought one of those albums with all the state and territory quarters a few years ago for the kids, who had no interest in it.

17. Robert91791

You all should know that the coin selling business is a slow process that takes time to find the right buyer. Selling and expecting coin to sell immediately will just disappoint everyone. I had to go thru with a friend to had to liquidate his collection and it took almost two years until we found a buyer that is willing to buy the whole set. The family made a little bit of money and they didn't loose any either. It just take time. As for coins, production and demand is less as we move to more transaction oriented environment and coupled that with less people interested in coin collecting sure will cause a downward pressure on the price of every collection. That is why you can't rush the coin selling process. It just takes time to find someone who will appreciate coin collecting.

Bambam8778 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  18. Robert91791

On 2nd note, If you're planning to retire and decided don't want to do coin collecting, it's better to start liquidating your collection at an early stage of your retirement while you're still alive and also start passing some of your coins or collection to a family member.

I've told my wife and kids to keep them and not sell them unless they can get at least the money put in on any collection. I keep receipts for them to know how much is the cost of every coin/set.

Inspector43 likes this.
  19. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I have a spreadsheet which is printed out from time to time of my estate "valuables" in my Will/Estate docs. In it is my coin collection which I list the date and "acquisition costs". which is how much I paid for an item including shipping in most cases. It does not contain it's current market value.

I also mention the various methods/venues of selling coins and the good and bad of it. At least they'll have options and a better understanding than just find it one day. I've also included a small copy of the Redbook (I think 2015s) for general reference.

20. Robert91791

It is also important to note that before any of us depart, that any surviving family member must be educated a little bit about your collection. If you know that they are not going to be interested in coin collecting, start to liquidate sooner than after your death. It is the better for everyone. I had to deal that with my dads gun collection and it is not that easy to find reasonable buyers and I didn't want to deal with it. I took my time to sell them all and I was able to sell them all after a year just to get what was put in the collection.

21. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

The state quarters are proof that collecting is a genetic disorder. Our brain tells us that these coins are common, base metal pieces with all the appeal of a 1959 Lincoln cent or a 1965 Roosevelt dime - yet we still must fill all those holes in the album.*

In a hundred years, maybe the silver proofs or San Francisco uncirculated specimens may be a bit intriguing but will still be easily obtainable in high grades (i.e., cheap).

*(I fill modern quarter albums from circulation and buy a silver proof set every year because my genetic disorder causes me to feel enjoyment in such activities.)

NYandW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted