Has my coin been cleaned?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mikenoodle, Jun 20, 2017.

1. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I got the idea from another thread, but I thought that I'd share something that I felt was important and that many people seem to have trouble grasping as a concept.

Is my coin cleaned?

The answer is sometimes complex, but usually, the answer that we're really seeking is simple.

Can you tell based on the coin (evidence) that the coin has been cleaned?
    If not, then the coin is accepted in the market as original. If you can tell that it has been cleaned, then the coin is damaged and the market will treat it as such.

The point I wanted to make is that it is almost immaterial if the coin has been cleaned, but it is rather important whether or not the coin shows evidence that it has.

If you can tell it's been altered, it's damaged. If the coin cannot be determined to be anything but original based on all evidence the coin provides, then the coin will be treated as original in the marketplace and for all intents and purposes is considered uncleaned.

LaCointessa and ToughCOINS like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I just got my first two fairly "bright" Bust Halves. I've been examining them for signs of cleaning hairlines, which I cannot see so far. The fields, however, show basically no sign of flow line luster. Is this typical? Is it because they were slow struck on a screw press? The edge lettering is really neat on them. The only other one I had was an 1824 that had toned basically black in the fields, and has "devices brightened by wear". The current two are an 1831 and an 1835.

fish4uinmd likes this.
  4. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

An absence of flow lines is not indicative of cleaning. Coins struck with newly manufactured dies had no flow lines on them.

Flow lines were imparted upon the planchet by negative topography in the dies, resulting from radial erosion of the dies as material flowed toward the rim from the center of the prior coins struck with those dies.

As for evidence of cleaning, it can sometimes be difficult to discern between normal wear and cleaning, but not often. Conclusive evidence usually comes not from the areas where one first focuses on what doesn't look right, but on other important, yet seemingly unrelated traits.

One obvious example would be a coin with AU detail, and absolutely no luster whatsoever . . . most definitely a victim of cleaning, whether chemical or abrasive.

A more subtle example might be a coin exhibiting more substantial removal of material from the coin's lower lying fields than from its high points . . . usually by a coin doctor trying to remove signs of spotting / corrosion in isolated areas while attempting to preserve relief, and connote a higher grade. I don't see this often, but such coins are out there.

There are many other signs of cleaning, best learned through observation.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    wxcoin, Two Dogs, talkcoin and 2 others like this.
  5. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

That is the difference between dipping and cleaning. A proper dip of an AU-58 or above coin is usually imperceptible. A mechanical cleaning will always leave signs until they are worn away by further circulation.

Two Dogs likes this.
  6. V. Kurt Bellman

Thanks. All 3 of my Bust Halves show very smooth featureless fields compared with more modern coins. On the other hand, the "ghost" of the eagle's left wing on the reverse shows through onto the field just left of Miss Liberty's mug.

7. mikenoodle

some cleaning leaves no signs as well.

The point that I am trying to illuminate here is simple. Is the coin damaged or not? The cleaning is irrelevent.

8. TypeCoin971793

Then how about market-acceptable coins that have obvious signs of cleaning (most seated dollars, many bust halves, etc)? IMO, they are damaged, but the plastics deems it not so. Your opinion?

9. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Interesting you brought this up today Kurt. I had similar thoughts of screw press vs steam press. Do you have any '37 and up bust halves to compare the pre "36's to?

10. mikenoodle

My opinion is that if the cleaning is obvious, then they are damaged, market acceptable or not.

I wanted people to stop focusing on whether or not a coin has been cleaned, and to more directly think of the cleaning evidence as damage.

no evidence = no damage

halfcent1793, alurid and JAY-AR like this.
  11. TypeCoin971793

Okay. We are on the same page now. :)

We share the same opinion on cleaning.

JAY-AR likes this.
  12. V. Kurt Bellman

I don't own any reeded edge examples, but I have submitted one to NGC for a friend who piggybacked it on my submission. It came back BU Details - Cleaning. To me, the obvious contrast in the fields right around the stars was a dead giveaway. Tonight is the meeting night for one of my coin clubs, and other than me, I'll bet the rest of the club doesn't own more than 30 slabbed coins among them. They just won't spend the money. I know for a fact that I'm the only member who submits raw coins. What they buy already slabbed is what I can't know for sure - but they audibly denigrate slabbing enough to make me believe it isn't many.

The anti-slabbing attitude goes way beyond antipathy all the way to outright hostility.

13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Gibb's Rule #1:
    If you have to ask, then it is cleaned

Blissskr, Dynoking and mikenoodle like this.
  14. V. Kurt Bellman

ONE problem with that - sometimes someone encountering a fresh series, especially one of advanced age (the series, not the viewer), sometimes what serves as evidence is not clear to said viewer.

15. mikenoodle

knowledge is king, Kurt.

The point is that if there is evidence of cleaning, the coin is damaged. If not, then it's not.

JAY-AR likes this.
  16. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

What you're saying is true Mike, but I believe the reason some people don't grasp that concept is because the word "cleaned" is used incorrectly most of the time. They used the word cleaned when what they really mean is harshly cleaned. What you're talking about and describing is the difference between cleaned and harshly cleaned. Two entirely different things.

A cleaned coin shows no visible evidence of damage or alteration

A harshly cleaned coin does show visible evidence of damage or alteration.

If people would use that terminology correctly, no one would ever have a problem grasping the concept.

halfcent1793 likes this.
  17. mikenoodle

I agree, Doug.

I also feel that when people struggle with a concept, sometimes it's helpful to change their frame of reference.

18. GDJMSP

This is not true, all struck coins, including those struck with fresh new dies, have flow lines on them. Flow lines are what cause and create the luster of a coin, so if there were no flow lines there would be no luster. And since coins struck with new dies do have luster, then obviously they have flow lines.

But again the problem with your comment Mike is one of using the wrong terminology. And this is where you describe it.

What you're describing here are wear lines in the die, also known as die erosion. Wear lines in the die are caused and created by the repeated metal flow of the planchets across the face of the die. The two terms that are often used incorrectly are "flow lines" and "wear lines". They are two very different things, and in point of fact the one is created by the repetition of the other.

Wear lines begin immediately, with the very first coin that is struck. But it takes a while before wear lines become actually visible, detectable if you will. At first you cannot see them, can't tell that there even are any. But with each repeated striking of coins the wear lines grow ever so slightly bigger and deeper in the face of the die. And the bigger and deeper they get the more easily their effects can be seen. And eventually they can even be picked out themselves, individually.

The first visibly detectable effects of wear lines is a disruption and lessening of the luster on a coin. The highest quality of luster is present on coins struck with new dies and it is of the highest quality because of its consistency. The flow lines are all basically equal in size and depth, and it is this consistency that cause them to reflect and refract the light the way they do, producing the highest quality luster. But as wear lines begin to become visible, that consistency is disrupted, broken up if you will because the wear lines become bigger and deeper than the flow lines themselves are.

Think of it like this. If you look in a mirror you see a high quality image of yourself. That is because the silver backing on the mirror is smooth and even, consistent. And it reflects everything quite well because of that consistency. But if you were take a piece of steel wool and rub the back of that mirror with it, and then look in the mirror, the image would be somewhat distorted. And if you rubbed it again it would be even more distorted, the reflection of the light would be broken up because of the wear to the backing imparted by the steel wool.

The same kind of thing happens with coins as the wear lines on the dies get progressively worse and worse. The more wear a die has, the lower the quality of the luster on a coin will be.

Another way of looking at it is Proof coins. Some people think and might even claim that Proof coins do not have luster. But not only do Proof coins have luster, they have the highest quality of luster of all coins ! And again this cannot be disputed because metal flows on all struck coins. And if metal flows then luster is created. And it cannot be created unless metal flows. And the reason that Proof coins have the highest quality of luster is because it is the flow lines on Proof coins are the most consistent, much more so than they are on business strikes due to the additional polishing that the dies, and the planchets are given. And this is easily seen in the reflective qualities of Proof coins.

Proof coins also prove the point of wear lines in the dies disrupting and lessening the quality of luster. For the more coins that are struck with a Proof die the more the reflective quality of those coins lessens, and thus their luster lessens.

Basset hound and Dynoking like this.
  19. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Excellent explanation. It must be, because even an idiot like me understood it.

Two Dogs likes this.
  20. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

To the original post, I think the terminology the TPGs use speaks volumes to marketplace acceptability - "Improperly Cleaned." Cleaning is not inherently bad, but done improperly, it can cause a host of problems - damage to the surfaces, improper color, hairlines, etc. In some cases, these problems are so apparent that that is what is listed on the label, in others, there is a variety of issues that net the "Improperly Cleaned" designation. In any event, cleaning itself isn't ostracised, but the negative effects of doing it incorrectly are.

21. GDJMSP

The problem with some people not grasping the concept as mikenoodle stated in the OP was created by people themselves - human nature if you will. We have this nasty habit of taking terminology and or phrases and shortening them, turning them into contractions just like we do with cannot when we made it can't.

Well, harshly cleaned, or improperly cleaned (which are both the exact same thing), and the original terminology, was taken and turned into a contraction, it was shortened to Just "cleaned". And as with almost all contractions, as well as other incorrect forms of word usage, in our language the more they are used the more they become accepted. And over the years far, far more people used the term "cleaned" when what they really meant was harshly or improperly cleaned. And it really is just that simple as to how it happened.

The problem is there is and always was another original term - which was also cleaned, and it has entirely different meaning. So gradually because so many people used the contraction, confusion was created among those who did not really understand the difference between the two terms. Somebody could say cleaned, and somebody else could say cleaned but yet they were both talking about two entirely different things.

It's another example of the law of unintended consequences. Because people are lazy, or as a matter of convenience if you prefer to think of it that way because you makes you feel better, shortening the correct term and using its contraction created the entire issue that never existed in the beginning.

edit -

And the same kind of thing happens or has already happened when other terminology is used incorrectly in numismatics. Numismatics has its own very specific meanings that apply to some terms and or phrases that are quite different than what those same terms or phrases mean in other aspects of life. So it is all to easy to make people think you mean one thing when you use a term incorrectly or use the wrong term, when you actually mean something entirely different. And the more they are used incorrectly, the more other people who hear you say it or write it will also begin to use it incorrectly. That is why it is so very, very important that terminology be used correctly at all times.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted