Has anyone tried this for bronze disease

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ancient times, Dec 3, 2019.

1. ancient times

ancient times Legatus Legionis

my late father in law was a chemist assistant, he told me a mixture to get rid of bronze disease on coins and so far I have had pretty good results. you take sulfur powder and Vaseline and make a paste, take a Q tip and apply to infected area, let set 4-6 hours and take clean cloth and wipe away, repeat if necessary. once the bronze disease is gone soak coin in trisodium phosphate for an hour or 2 then rinse in distilled water.
    dry and or put a protecting coating on coin (I use renaissance wax) sometimes the coin will have a pit or be smooth where the disease was. if paste comes in contact with copper it will darken the coin. I will be going through my coins in a few weeks of some I treated.

serafino, Amos 811 and CoinBlazer like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

Neat, make sure to show some before and after pictures of the results!

serafino and Amos 811 like this.
  4. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

I have been using a lite oil such as peanut, or sesame. I often just let them sit for months on end. I have a 1850s IHC thats been in some for about 2 years. Ill find it and post pics. Also dig up my b4 pics as well....

5. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

I've always thought IHC stood for Indian Head Cent. What does your 1850s IHC mean?

6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Sulfur is well known to darken copper (or bronze or brass) in such concoctions as Deller's Darkener.

7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I suspect he meant 1850s as in the decade, not the specific year, and Indian Head Cents were first struck in 1859 :).

thomas mozzillo and Amos 811 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted