Has anyone seen this on a 2012 reverse?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by kbabyjohnson01, Mar 7, 2013.

1. kbabyjohnson01

kbabyjohnson01 40 Years Cancer FREE

Multiple die cracks on the T in cent. I wasn't able to locate any like this online. Is it even possible for this to have happened at the mint?

2012rev1.jpg

2012rev2.jpg

2012rev3.jpg

2012rev4.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Yes that is a nice example of a large die crack/break, and it is an error that occurs at the mint. Unlike die varieties, however, I do not believe that die cracks have been thoroughly archived for modern coins, at least on the internet.

4. Clutchy

Clutchy Well-Known Member

How common are coins with 2 separate die cracks? I have a memorial with verdict cracks running up from the middle of columns #3 and #9.

5. non_cents

Let me guess...it's a 1983 or 1984?:rolleyes:
    Multiple die cracks on a coin are fairly common. I have a few examples of coins with die cracks running from each corner of the memorial building.

6. Clutchy

Clutchy Well-Known Member

No sir. 1995 :)

7. non_cents

Drats, thought I had it. :smile
    There were die cracks aplenty on the 1983 and 1984 reverses. I have not seen many die cracks from the 1990s.

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Love you guys. While I'm not 'current' on errors (far from it) I enjoy reading about them. :)

9. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

Surprisingly dramatic for such a late date...

Very nice find! :thumb:

10. coinup

coinup Junior Member

Can you post a wider shot of the cent?

11. kbabyjohnson01

2012revdiecrack.jpg 2012obvdiecrackrev.jpg

12. The Beatles

The Beatles Member

Ya know, I've been wondering, if people find enough of the same error on a coin does it become a variety? Let's take this coin for example. If there were enough found with the same die crack, would it become listed as a variety?

13. non_cents

Because die cracks are just a sign that the die is aging and are generally a naturally occuring process, I would think that it would be tough to call them a variety. Since a doubled die or a repunched mintmark is an actual mistake and not a naturally occuring phenomenon that can produce thousands of the same coin, those can be listed as varieties.

14. kbabyjohnson01

15. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

Yes sir. i have at least 5-10 1983's with cracks from all 4 corners and a clash event inside the memorial (the back of Lincoln's coat and/or the "Y" in liberty). The '83's are eat up with problems, but they are still cool!

16. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

17. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Speaking of "Y" clashes, years ago I searched a $50 Mint bag of 1980 Lincoln cents and found 228 of the same "Y" clash. I could tell that they all came from the same die because all of them had the same die scratches on them as markers.

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted