Has anyone seen this before?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by ibdeecee, Mar 24, 2015.

1. ibdeecee

ibdeecee New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ibdeecee

ibdeecee New Member

I have been trying to find any info on this coin but can't seem to find anything. Any help? Any idea of its worth ?

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It is worth 1c. More than likely, it is glue. See if it will dissolve in acetone.

Chris

KurtS likes this.
  5. ibdeecee

ibdeecee New Member

no its not glue and see how the one cent is on the front of the coin?

6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

If you don't have any Acetone try getting under it with a dental pick or a very think blade of some kind. If it comes off, probably as Chris said, glue.

7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Maybe some kind of lamination if not glue?

8. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

fun with welding in the garage, and a hammer. Could be a caped die...but looks more like good ole garage fun.

9. ibdeecee

ibdeecee New Member

ok well I will just take it to a coin shop around here and have them look at it cause I don't think it is what you gentlemen are saying Thanks

10. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I don't think that they are trying to steer you wrong here, it's just that if you know all of the steps that go into how a coin is created, you know that this could not have come from the mint that way and would be considered post mint damage. We see this type of thing pretty often. If you do go to a shop, please let us know what they say, it is how we learn.

KurtS and paddyman98 like this.
  11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

The CENT lettering on the front is indented and reversed. That usually means that another cent got pressed or pounded into this one. The coin shop should be able to explain it in more detail.

Welcome to CoinTalk!

KurtS and paddyman98 like this.
  12. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

very old glue, the coin is worth face value, use your fingernail and pick off the glue..

13. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Certainly have it looked at if you wish, but it is glue or some foreign substance and another coin was stuck to it at some point.

14. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

15. cpm9ball

In that case, why don't you just list it on eBay as a one-of-a-kind Mint error and sell it for $10,000?

Chris

paddyman98 and dwhiz like this.
  16. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Worth face value (one cent), someone covered the penny in glue and stuck another penny to it, when the other penny was removed it left an imprint.

The point is, it is not an error.

paddyman98 likes this.
  17. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

:banghead:

18. coop

coop Senior Member

It is some adhesive that transferred part of the design from another coin when they were glued together. Here is a coin that was glued to something and part of the glue took part of the pattern that the coin was adhered to:
    [​IMG]
    It didn't leave the mint like that. The coin was already struck and now it is in the hands of who owned it. PSD (Post Strike Damage)

paddyman98 likes this.
  19. cpm9ball

After you've had a coin dealer examine it, will you please come back and tell us what he said?

Chris

20. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

Please don't ask the questions if you don't want to except the answers. Members of this forum are very knowledgeable and aren't trying to steer you wrong. What was said is all it can be, but go ahead and risk embarrassment at the coin shop.

21. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I believe OP took exception.........

Draft saved Draft deleted