Has anyone made a decent profit buying and selling coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by j2theq, Aug 20, 2012.

1. zachfromnj

zachfromnj Junior Member

I'll make $500+ this month buying off of ebay and reselling.
    I say I'll make because I haven't received or sold off everything I've bought.
    So it's very possible for someone to buy/resell, I'm 23 and if I can do it anyone can :rolleyes:

Screen shot 2012-08-20 at 11.20.56 AM.jpg

**just realized I have 2 (20)90% halves, i have to remove one**
    Ignore some of the stuff, they're from an auction I went to

The profit column already has fees etc from ebay/paypal included

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

j2 - ask yourself a very simple question. If it is easy, why isn't everybody doing it ?

4. hartnessjr

hartnessjr Member

It is better to go into this as something to enjoy more than something to make money on. If you want to make money i would find something else that is much easier to do.

5. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

Coins are a hobby, not an investment.
    If you love the coins, and are willing to win some and lose some, collect.
    If you want an investment that pays better than most, there are far better options out there.

6. FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack New Member

Gas, wear and tear on vehicle, etc...

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

And you said you spend 2-3 hours a day, 3-4 days a week, right? Plus a few hours to resell the stuff you buy. Maybe $10/hr, somewhere around there?

Of course, as long as it's fun, it's free money. :)

8. zachfromnj

zachfromnj Junior Member

Id prob say 10 hrs a week, but hey I'm not looking to get rich.
    Just trying something new to make me some additional income.

9. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

It sounds as if you want to enter the bullion trading market with very little knowledge or experience under your belt. Unless you get lucky, I don't see you making money that way. If you are interested in becoming a vest pocket coin dealer, then you need to develop a niche and exploit it. For the purposes of this thread I am considering a vest pocket dealer as someone who tries to make money flipping coins but is not a full time coin dealer and does not make their living dealing coins.

I would consider myself a vest pocket dealer. I sell all of my coins on E-Bay. From January to May 2012, my gross revenue was over $20K with a profit margin of 14%. S&H was 2.5%, E-Bay fees 5.6%, & Paypal 2.9% of gross revenue. The problem with these statistics is that my starting inventory was my existing collection which included many coins that I had purchased 3-5 years ago. I have not separated out my margins for coins that I have bought and sold in 2012 only but I don't think they would change that dramatically. The reason I say this is because many of the coins I bought years ago, I did not purchase with the intent to profit, hence I overpaid. Anything I purchased this year, I did so with the intent to flip & profit.

My niche is that I am very experienced in Jefferson Nickels and can pick out premium quality examples for just about every date/mm for both TPG's. I also have outstanding numismatic photography skills which allows me to maximize my sale price on E-Bay. Without both my Jefferson knowledge and photographic skills, buying and selling coins would not be a profitable venture.

I think you will find that if you don't treat coins like a business, you will have a very difficult time making a profit. I say this because in order to have a successful business, you need to start with a sound business plan. From what I see, you don't yet have one, but I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor.

10. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Make a profit by selling to dealers? Ha ha ha ha! Only if you steal the coins, so your cost is zero. Seriously, I’ve only made a profit a few times selling to dealers and that’s because the coins appreciated over time. Since the internet, I’d sell there for more than any dealer would pay.

11. TsutoyaRei

TsutoyaRei New Member

Gold and silver, both.

12. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Not making fun OP, but you wish to buy retail, sell wholesale, with little knowledge, and make a profit? I won't say it cannot be done, since that is the basic business model of "road show" thieves, but it cannot be done unless you intentionally seek out those who don't know coins values and prey on them.

A dealer buy price is effectively the lowest legitimate price in this hobby, with anything lower being someone taking advantage of others with no coin knowledge.

If you wish to make money in coins, it can be done. Read Lehigh's, (Paul's) post and see how someone uses knowledge to be able to become a dealer. Many new collectors become dealers, but you need to really learn the business, learn coins, develop buyers and sellers.

Just my opinion.

Chris

13. jjack

jjack Captain Obvious

For me it is been the other way around.

14. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

It can be done.

15. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

OK, I am going to give everyone the easiest way to make money buying and selling coins. You can thank me later.

1. Get good at grading coins (as good, or better than a PCGS or NGC grader).
    2. Buy certified coins that are under-graded, or raw-high demand coins that will make you money in a 66 or 67 slab after the cost of certification.
    3. Send them in for certification.
    4. PROFIT?

Please note, you better be darn good at grading.

You're welcome...

Or take all your money to the Roulette table. Chances are about the same.

16. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

Many different angles at making money in coins. You have Gregs approach listed above, then you have zach who puts in the hard leg work of finding deals on ebay.. I think the easiest way to make money in coins is one which I personally witnessed while working at a pawnshop. The fact is that when people go to sell their coins they are usually desperate for money. I don't ever remember paying more than 60% greysheet value for anything that came in the door. We then immediatly sold those coins on ebay. If you take away the 9% final valuation fee your looking at 30% profit per coin.

So how can you best market yourself to make sure people know you are looking to buy coins? Remember you don't have to buy everything that they offer.. only ones that you know you'll be able to get rid of. Easy operation if you have a storefront.

17. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

I'll give you a +1 for that.

18. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

If this is the depth of information you have going into this endeavor, then I can assure you that this will not end well for you.

19. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

I think not only do you have to be good with grading, I think that you also have to be good at picking out problems with a coin. I can see someoene buying a coin for way under Graysheet but the coin is a problem coin and not worth graysheet. For instance, this coin I got for a little over $5 and that is about all I think it is worth. Graysheet is much higher on it but since it is beat-up and cleaned, those prices don't apply. You could try to get gold coins for under melt and I really wonder about them since it is hard to get them at below melt.
    largecent.jpg

Attached Files:

20. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Your going to make millions like this arbitrage. Local dealers are so stupid.

21. Only need to know 3 things the way i see it.
    Always take full advantage of the unknowing
    All coin dealers are crooks and you need to be the bigger one.
    Grey sheet prices are only used for those you see with it in hand.
    J/K

Draft saved Draft deleted