Has anyone here noticed that the bay is struggling?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fretboard, Feb 18, 2019.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

Some people only look at auctions (or only at buy-it-nows). So listing an auction for the same starting price as a buy-it-now could work (as long as the price is still around what similar items have sold for, which I admit is frequently not what happens). For example, I've listed a few items with starting bids in the $30-$75 range and had people place a bid (this was after the same item did not sell at the same $30-$75 BIN price).

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Potentially yes. If we both searched for the exact same thing in the same way our results may not match. They slipped their right to do that in one of the updates a few years ago under the guise of it being "fair" for everyone. Smaller and mid level sellers generally see their sales fall off a cliff when they reach their average for the month and then when the average falls again they'll start again.

It may make sense for people selling used DVDs but their main problem with the coin and currency category is that no one there seems to be smart enough to realize that category needs it's own policies instead of just lumping it into the site wide ones.

4. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I'd like to take the Pepsi Challenge on your assertion there.

I live in Minnesota. Where are you? Hopefully somewhere significantly far enough away from me.

You name the search terms for the coin(s), in what category, and at what exact time.

We both take a screen shot of the first, say 10 items, that come up at the top of the results for "newly listed" items.

I'd be interested to find out what happens.

5. baseball21

Just google about eBay hiding listings and eBay hiding sales. There's tons of info already out there about it

mlov43 likes this.
  6. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Actually why would they be struggling if so much counterfeits are sold??? Look at the Chinese coin section - holy !@#$ !

Mkman123 likes this.
  7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Not sure how valid that challenge is, because I can load newly listed items twice in a row from the same browser window, same machine, same location, and get two different lists.

eBay needs a LOT of servers to handle its traffic. New listings get pushed out to those servers as quickly as possible, but those are new listings for ALL categories. On some servers, Coins and Paper Money may have to wait a bit longer behind things in other categories. So, one time, I'll see ten listings from the last five minutes; next time, I'll see one listing from six minutes ago, and the next one from twenty minutes ago. Reload again and I might get either list, or yet another.

This isn't anything nefarious on eBay's part. It's just the way things work when you're dealing with thousands or millions of simultaneous users and thousands or millions of listings coming and going.

8. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yep, that is a big problem for sellers like me and other's but as usual with ebay, "let's stick to the sellers", that their mentality! :banghead: It's all about money and they don't give a shizzle about anything else! gettinmoney.gif

Yeah, they gotta revisit that idea because it knocked out the bottom price and many numismatic items are being bought at way too cheap! :banghead: We all know that buyers have figured out this game and they wait it out, while some sellers gotta sell right away. Just like the guy above said, most of us sellers are baby boomers. ;) Here's what I say to sleazebay, I got a girl for you!!! :D

mz_5451794_bodyshot_300x400-5.gif

9. ma-shops

ma-shops Well-Known Member

Hey @mlov43 you are right, MA-Shops has expanded to the US. Actually, if you have any requests or you need support there is the manager of the US office Mrs Kathy Bender ( bender@ma-shops.com ). She will assist you in any matter...
    The difference to Ebay and the advantage of MA shops is that only certified dealers are allowed to have a shop there. On Ebay anyone can open a shop. Especially as a collector of rarities or value you have to be able to shop with confidence on a seller / buyer basis. If you are curious, just try it or contact Mrs Bender... Have a nice sunday ;)

Mkman123 and mlov43 like this.
  10. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

There are some gems mixed in a lot of junk, IMO. There are many deceptive images. Some sellers give you multiple light angles. Some give you the the pic that hides the marks. Seems like it's becoming a way for places to sell stuff that won't sell in person.

Ebays not going anywhere. You guys look at it from the coin perspective. There only about a million and one other things being sold on there. I remember watching a tv show about them years ago. At that time they were making something like millions of dollars every minute. It was a staggering number.

serafino likes this.
  11. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

For volume of coins being bought and sold, nothing comes close to Ebay

baseball21 likes this.
  12. NumisNinja

NumisNinja Active Member

I buy from craigslist, my LCS, Ebay, and my coin club's bi-monthly member auction. At this point I have a pretty good feel for where the good deals are, but there is always pitfalls and some degree of luck involved.

I still dont know why a seller cant put "scratched, details, whizzed, cleaned" on coins that obviously fit that designation. The "judge for yourself, I am not a grader" thing gets really old after a while.

13. baseball21

Some are just hoping you don't notice the problem which you need to be extra cautious about if it's being sold at a show or LCS, other's actually really don't know. There is a third group as well though which would be on eBay where descriptions just aren't there to protect themselves as sellers because of the system. Say you have a raw coin and say it's cleaned, well someone could say its scratched as well blah blah and then open a significantly not as described and almost always win. By saying nothing or judge for yourself it protects you some against those types of buyers

14. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yeah, I'm really learning some lessons on ebay, you can't be in a hurry to sell so if you sell to feed your family, unfortunately you're gonna get some grief. I never thought that a song would basically cover selling on ebay but it does!! Just like Kenny Rogers used to sing about, if you think about this song and apply the words to the items you're selling it makes it flow a little bit better when you're paying up. In short, if you're selling on ebay you're gonna pay dearly, so be very careful how and when you sell! :D

"You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
    Know when to walk away and know when to run."

KSorbo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted