Has anyone here noticed that the bay is struggling?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fretboard, Feb 18, 2019.

1. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Recent eBay revenue:

• EBay revenue for the quarter ending December 31, 2018 was $2.877B, a 6.28% increase year-over-year.
    • EBay revenue for the twelve months ending December 31, 2018 was $10.746B, a 8.25% increase year-over-year.
    • EBay annual revenue for 2018 was $10.746B, a 8.25% increase from 2017.
    • EBay annual revenue for 2017 was $9.927B, a 6.76% increase from 2016.
    • EBay annual revenue for 2016 was $9.298B, a 8.22% increase from 2015.

serafino likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

It sure does . . . While they have done a great many things to hurt their business, the worst thing they can do is make buyers believe that other venues will better meet their needs. I used to peruse eBay listings for at least 16 hours weekly several years ago, and it was the most fruitful venue for me at the time. Now that there's so much counterfeit, damaged, category-extraneous and poorly imaged non-returnable material on eBay, I've cut back almost 50%, and moved on to spending much more time on other more productive venues, and I'm not alone.

There are also a fair number of sellers who daily bump their listings to the top, discouraging those looking for freshly listed coins while working under limited time constraints. eBay should not allow that. If the listings were not free, they wouldn't be bumping TTT so frequently.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    fretboard likes this.
  4. Ag76

Ag76 Coins 'n' history

I have bought and sold on EBay for 20 years, though admittedly only ~360 transactions. I have only had one instance of having been defrauded by a seller and I have never been defrauded by a buyer. Some mild drama over returns but nothing too serious.

harrync and fretboard like this.
  5. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Dang it! I appreciate the information, luckily I checked with you guys today! That sucks! Looks like I'll be spending more time with my local coin club. :D

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  6. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

In response to Wayfair v South Dakota my state has a bill (may have already passed in the current session of the General Assembly) addressing collection of sales tax on internet sales. This legislation designates any sale through a marketplace as a sale of the marketplace facilitator (a facilitator would be Ebay, Amazon and etc) as opposed to a sale of the actual seller. Therefore the liability and responsibility of collecting the tax from the buyer and remitting the tax to the state will fall on the facilitator and not the actual seller.

Paul M. and fretboard like this.
  7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

In addition to my previous post:
    Here is an interesting tidbit. Amazon made 11.8 billion in profit last year and paid zero federal tax. Corporate rates which are lower than personal rates, they should have paid over 2 billion dollars. In fact, they had a negative tax rate and got back 1%, 130 million dollars. So suckers like you and I who have to pay our taxes, they are just taking our money that we pay in, and giving it to Amazon (who doesn't need it) for nothing.

8. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

The new postage rates (1/27/19) have added an added burden for the small seller - eBay seller fee + paypal fee + $4 postage (avg. for FCM pkg. < 4 oz.) + tracking fee = not a lot of profit margin :oops:

tommyc03, fretboard and longshot like this.
  9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

As was said, $20,000 but also used to be anything over 200 sales which is easy to do with low ball items. But I get a tax report for anything now (Pay Pal), all listed by monthly sales. I sold less than $1,000 last year and still got a 1099.

serafino likes this.
  10. Southpawdon

Southpawdon Member

The comments made were just awesome and made me feel like "its not me". Shipping costs for the more affordable products knock them completely out of that category. In addition, buyers are now conditioned by Amazon to expect far different than the small guy can afford to provide....guess that is business. I sell a heavier item than coins and just get hammered by shipping costs. I used to buy some coins on ebay, but it has become a challenge lately. I wish everyone here at coin talk well, thank you for all the informative discussions and hope that ebay will react to losing business in a favorable way. Southpaw Don

11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Which is where you can really blame the promoted listing functions and eBay's decision to not show every listing to every person. It's really easy to pay 15-20% and get your listing promoted to show up in everything while having others hidden when you're selling junk/fakes that have huge margins.

Any of them doing it daily or every three days with substantial amounts of material are all big sellers though that are paying for those listings with their higher subscriptions. The normal person gets 50 free a month which would quickly be used if they were bumping things daily.

Big sellers have different rules on eBay anyway.

12. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yep, I'm ready, I doubt I'll make it to $20,000 but you never know stranger things have happened! :D

Me too, I got so many great deals it was unbelievable! :cigar: Now, I'm starting to sell off some of my tokens. I never counted them before but I have 3 big binders full of tokens and medals I gotta list. Wish I would have done it a few years ago but with everything, I live and I learn! :D

13. ddddd

ddddd Member

I’m fairly certain it’s still 200 transactions AND $20,000 in sales.

So if you sold 500 items for $10,000, there would be no form automatically sent to you.

Here is the info:
    https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp...RS-Will-I-receive-a-1099-tax-statement-FAQ729

14. GoldBug999

GoldBug999 Well-Known Member

I will point out that Amazon has significant carry-forward losses from previous years, and these are used to offset current and future net income. Once the carry-forward losses are exhausted, they will begin paying income taxes.

mlov43 likes this.
  15. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

16. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

Although I have done the majority of my buying and selling through eBay, there are definitely some improvements they could make to the format.

1. The auction listings are cluttered with items with opening bids set above retail. To cut down on this, EBay should charge a final value fee for auction listings whether they sell or not. They already do this with reserve auctions. Not only would this declutter the auction category, but it could also encourage more listings by truly setting apart the bona fide auctions from the overpriced junk.

2. They should also consider charging a fee for buy it now listings that don’t sell within a set period (say 60 days) or are pulled early. That would encourage people to price listings to sell and discourage the use of listings as free advertising for sale through other venues.

3. At the very least bring back the previous option to sort by number of bids. That used to help weed out the high opening bids.

philologus_1 likes this.
  17. baseball21

That would cost them a ton of money and many people would just walk away. The only reason auctions are done that way by many sellers is that your 500 listings are split between BINs and auctions for the store fee. Not doing that and letting sellers dictate how to list their items would be a much better solution.

The truth is they almost certainly want listings to be wasted hoping you will spend more on them when you run out.

Great way to kill the company. The day they do that basically every small seller will leave

18. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I’ll admit that I’m not familiar with how the store fees work, so maybe I’m missing something. I just don’t understand why 90+ percent of the listings seem to be way above even the higher range of completed sales prices. I get the idea of starting high and negotiating offers from there. But what’s the point of doing that in an auction listing? Isn’t that what BIN with best offer is for?

They have succesfully put the kibosh on reserve auctions. I still wish they could do something to declutter the high opening bids.

19. baseball21

The stores get a set number of listings for what you pay for. The affordable highest one which is still 20+ a month for a year gives you 500 listings a month, but it's 250 BINs 250 actions.

IF they let sellers choose how to use their listings the auction stuff would change drastically.

Also free shipping isn't really free and the rising USPS costs are a factor since you essentially have to offer free shipping on eBay now.

With how they dictate listings unless you want to pay 60 a month for a year minimum their restrictions on how you can use the listings that you pay for cause you to use auctions as a BIN listing. More importantly the fact that they hide listings from buyers and the new promoted nonsense which is horrendous for coins, sellers have to protect themselves

20. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I wasn’t aware of any of that. Sounds like they have created a monster. How does the hiding of listings work? If I pull up a search, say, PCGS and NGC large cents, does that mean I won’t see all of them?

21. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

They used to do that. If I recall correctly, every listing incurred a listing fee -- something like 5 cents for auction starting at 99 cents or less, 25 cents for auctions starting at $9.99 or less, and two or three categories beyond that. If you put a reserve on your auction, there was an additional fee that was a stepped percentage of your reserve. I thought that scheme made a lot of sense, and it definitely kept down the noise level. FVFs were also graduated, with the percentage falling as the final value rose, and all much lower than today's fees.

But eBay eventually decided that Volume is King, and the more items they have listed, the better, even if most of them are garbage. The fee schedule was adjusted repeatedly, until we got the scheme we have today, which is great for the high-volume seller and the clueless newbie, but pretty sad for those in the middle.

harrync likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted