Has anyone heard of this Russian TPG?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by physics-fan3.14, Aug 3, 2018.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

So, I was trolling eBay as I often do. I came across this Russian certification service. Going to the website, it roughly translates to National numismatic Registry.

There was a coin that I was very interested in. So I was wondering has anyone ever heard of this service? Have you bought from them before? How was the quality?

www.nreestr.ru

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

princeofwaldo likes this.
  4. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

I never heard about this service. Maybe it is good service but I advice you not to risk.

Kentucky likes this.
  5. physics-fan3.14

Well, the coin I found looks good and is extremely hard to find. I will probably buy it, but won't trust the grade until I see it in hand.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'd be more concerned about the coin being genuine than I would the grade.

ToughCOINS likes this.
  7. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Especially if it was a US coin.

8. physics-fan3.14

It is not a US coin, and it is not a coin which i have ever seen or heard of counterfeits. The coin looks genuine. I am more concerned about cleaning or something hiding in the sellers pictures.

9. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Red flag Warning in effect.

10. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

If it's expensive, believe me, there are going to be counterfeits.

11. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Only seen a handful of coins in their slabs, but they appear to be legit on both authenticity and grading.

Kasia and RomanTheRussian like this.
  12. physics-fan3.14

Hard to find or rare does not necessarily equal expensive, especially in the series I collect.

Expensive coins tend to have modern counterfeits. Coins popular in trade when they were issued tend to have contemporary counterfeits. The coins I collect don't really meet either description.

13. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

It would be quite interesting to see what the future holds.

There is no reason why there would not be a Russian grading company. Sanctions and all kinds of trade relationship would not help. I am not going to make this a political thread and I'll leave it as it is.

Russian customs prohibit export anything older than 50 years old unless there is export permit. On top of this, Russian post office is notorious for making mail disappear

To me, it sounds like a perfect business opportunity for Russian numismatic collectors.

Kasia and Numismat like this.
  14. Numismat

Agreed @gxseries Other countries are clearly recognizing the business opportunity. The French tpg GENI is another example. At the same time we have what look like legitimate tpg from a certain part of the world with fake coins in their slabs, which give the good startups an extra hurdle to clear before gaining acceptance.

Kasia and gxseries like this.
  15. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I guess its a matter of time for some countries.

If the major tpgs can recognize where some of their biggest market are, it would be a no brainer such as Hong Kong where it is easy to setup a business and numismatics is a big market. (Not China) But in markets like Australia, well things can become funny.

If you know Burger King, BK has franchises in Australia. But because the name had been registered by an Australian a long time before BK got into the Australian market, BK had no choice but to rename their brand as Hungry Jacks. BK supposedly bought the brand at some absurd price.

And of course, there is a cheeky bugger that decided to name his grading business as APCGS. Makes you think twice when he claims its an Australian grading service. Grading wise... I don't have faith from an owner where he threatened to sue forum members for grade defamation. That should speak for itself.

16. Numismat

Speaks volumes. Amazing how spectacularly some people shoot themselves in the foot.

17. physics-fan3.14

So, I bought the coin we were discussing in this thread. These were the pictures the seller provided. Would you have bought it? What would you guess the condition was, based on these pictures?

After nearly a month of travelling, the coin finally arrived yesterday. I'll post my pictures of this coin tomorrow.

s-l1600.jpg

Chris B, Kasia and Numismat like this.
  18. Numismat

Glad you went for it. A bit more luster and it would be a nice 64 :)

19. RomanTheRussian

RomanTheRussian Well-Known Member

Same here. I don't suspect them to be anything but a legit operation at this time.

Kasia and Numismat like this.
  20. physics-fan3.14

Well, as promised I took these in-hand shots today. This is much closer to what the coin actually looks like - quite a bit of good luster, and some very attractive toning on the obverse. It's a solid 63, but the marks hold it back from 64, I think:

img_3373.jpg IMG_3374.JPG

Kasia, ddddd and Numismat like this.
  21. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

I've seen, online, that Moroccan coin. Seems 1352 (Islamic year ?) is equivalent to 1932. It is, allegedly, of Silver, and I understand it is sold by Ebay/By RedBrain for
    $19.94. "extremely hard to find"? Although I don't know, my guess is that this coin is not particularly rare.

Draft saved Draft deleted