Has anyone ever used one of these?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mac266, Jul 28, 2015.

1. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

I have one similar and didn't pay near that much for it. Mine was less than $30. Then again the one you are looking at may be much better quality - I don't know. They work pretty well, but you should put some investment into the physical mount and setup. The cheap little suction cup bounces around and it's impossible to set it into a good fixed position and make any focus adjustments.

I recommend finding a really good solid mount that doesn't allow for vibrations and jumpy movement every time you adjust it. I haven't taken the time to find one.

These things come with install software and an application that lets you take snap shots and such.

4. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

These scopes (also known as DinoLite) are often being demonstrated at large coin shows. I recommend trying one out in person if you can, because you need to see what kind of magnification and "handling" you need before you buy one. I don't use one because I have a stereoscope sitting on my desk. I do photos by pointing a camera through the eyepiece.

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

coinzip and dwhiz like this.
  6. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I use a Dino-Lite AM311s 41SWalker2-horz_zpseed98b94.jpg 1878-S Morgan Dollar, VAM 6 DDO, Hot 50, Raw a.jpg

coinzip and JPeace$ like this.
  7. Captain Jack

Captain Jack New Member

You can get cheap ones on eBay from China

8. Paddy54

And the two key word's are "Cheap"& "China" need I say more?

9. Paddy54

phankins11 likes this.
  10. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

I have a Dino-Lite that I have used for a couple years now. Love it but I plan to upgrade at the ANA show and sell the one I have now. So if you are going to Chicago, it would be best to check out the Dino-Lites in person and the other ones and compare them. I think Dino-Lite is the best and always had wonderful support when I needed it, including free software updates.

coinzip likes this.
  11. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

I bought the Celeston 5MP from Amazon ($80 ish) - which I use tethered to my tablet at shows. Well worth it - I've found one amazing coin and passed on a couple that were cleaned...

12. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

13. I bought a no-name clone edition from amazon (5mp)
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RVGHABS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00 ($69)
    that works ok - the arm on the table unit holder is only 8 inch or so and is not tall enough to get an full image of anything larger than a nickel. (I only collect small cents so it is not a problem for me).

It includes software for viewing and taking pictures on PC (device attached via usb cable). The unit I have is not 100% reliable in regards to taking a picture - sometimes you have to try 2 or 3 times and it ignores some requests

Attached Files:

14. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I don't think the microscope is better than others in the same price range, but I can highly recommend the Lighthouse stand:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438182061.213356.jpg

15. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I don't, but I'm looking for a stereo microscope to use at home on my desk. Anybody have suggestions for a good one, preferably in the $1000 and under price range?

16. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I have a Bausch & Lomb StereoZoom 4. There are plenty of these (and the StereoZoom 7) on eBay. Make sure you get one with eyepieces and a stand.

17. Keyman64

Keyman64 Well-Known Member

I've used a Dino at Winter FUN where they were being demonstrated. For general coin photos I would not recommend them as I do a better job on my own with my normal camera gear but for the tiny variety images on dimes etc, this would be very useful and does a pretty good job.

18. NormW

NormW Student Of Coinology

Which ever you buy, try to get one where the LED lights can be turned off. I forgot off hand what brand and model I have but the biggest annoyance is the built in lighting glare, which is helpful on some coins but awful on shiny coins

19. Musicjock

Musicjock Member

I ordered a Celestron Table Top Microscope With a 5 mp camera and led screen you can rotate for audience viewing. $179.00. They have other scopes including hand held. Go to Celestron.com and click on digital Microscopes.

20. Paddy54

I purchased a stereo scope it was very nice however it weighted about 10 lbs. Took up quite a bit of room plus needs to be covered when not in use. Second you had to buy a camera or adapter to use for images MO money...
    As far as knock off brands you can roll the dice.... like I said in my post over 10 years old works as good as it did day one, and since I purchased mine at $169.00 they have come down in price and improved drastically . The other issue is if your not an computer wiz having someone to help you first hand who speaks English and can help you out if you need it "PRICELESS!

21. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

The question you need to ask is will it work with windows 10?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dwhiz and Rassi like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted