Has anyone else been experience S-L-O-W ebay shipping?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by treylxapi47, Nov 21, 2014.

1. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

Just curious if anyone else has been having trouble getting their packages? I dont normally complain about such things, its just about the last year and up until about 2 months ago all of my packages seemed to arrive within 3-4 days coming even as far as California or Washington type ares (im extreme east coast). Well now all of a sudden over the last 8-10 weeks nearly all of my packages are excruciatingly slow. Like 5 days is the norm now, and I have had several shippers not ship for over a week.

There is some bad weather up north and that I am aware of, this is just an overall slow down in my mail reception that I am noticing. Kinda stinks, I always thought I had good shipping luck.

I also lost a package last week, made it to my home town and out for delivery and everything. Still no status update or delivery almost 10 days after originally being ready for delivery.

Bah Humbug USPS

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. krispy

krispy krispy

Thread title is misleading. This problem, if there even is one, should have nothing to do with eBay but with the shipping carrier, perhaps the one you closed your post with. This is the time of year when all carriers see increased volume with holiday shoppers and merchants creating more burden for the carriers. So this alone may explain the change you've sensed recently. If you are ordering from large companies via eBay, they too may have volume delays from influx of orders. If you are buying from individuals selling through eBay, who are lazy or not mindful of getting your parcels into the postal system, that is likely their fault and not the carriers. Also, be sure to read each listings estimated turn-around / handling time, as this may vary from one seller to the next. If all else fails, be patient or pay for a faster shipping rate to get things delivered in a more timely manner.

4. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

I agree with krispy, it's not eBay if the seller is getting it out slowly, or if the USPS/UPS/FedEx is moving it slowly. If some of those packages have tracking on it, you might be able to find out what's making it slow. What's the common thread in these slow packages? Are they all USPS? Are they all going through a common mail center? Also, should say, anyone ordering something that's either originating from, or coming through, the Buffalo area right now should expect slow shipping.

krispy likes this.
  5. treylxapi47

Common thread, ebay sellers holding packages. Which would be more of an ebay problem than a USPS problem. Sure very specifically it would be the ebay sellers problem, but guess where they sell from, ebay. So I attributed as an overall ebay, catchall, sort of deal.

Sue me for over generalizing.

6. krispy

krispy krispy

Everybody seems to dump on eBay all the time and over generalizing isn't going to get to the root of your problem. Sounds more like you are just venting now. However, there must be a reason if its the sellers themselves. But how can you prove that? Are you repeatedly buying from the same seller and has that seller consistently sent out parcels slower than before? Have the sellers indicated they are holding parcels back? It's not sounding like you have a case for complaint, especially against eBay. The weather delay Peter suggested is a very good point to keep in mind, too. Because of it, mail backs up in other regions and has to be rerouted or take additional man-power across the network to deal with at this time. You might just have to sit tight. Sorry, but it's likely that simple of an explanation.

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

No status update or delivery probably means it is just sitting at the post office and will do so until you either go there and get it or they eventually return it.

8. treylxapi47

A notice sure would have been nice.

9. krispy

krispy krispy

When ebay sellers prepare postage for a parcel, the eBay system automatically puts notification on a buyers item, adding tracking, but the item will not start tracking until scanned in at the PO. If the seller doesn't deliver the parcel to the PO you can't track it even though it has an assigned tracking number. Sometimes the PO doesn't scan parcels in a timely manner either. Often parcels are in their hands a good 48 hours before any movement shows up, sometimes longer. The USPS iPhone App is terrible this way. It often fails to report items that have been entered with tracking but haven't scanned for multiple days after they received it in the system.

10. treylxapi47

Ive already addressed the weather delay. I had a woman from Buffalo contact me already. I got no problem with that.

I dont expect a week to print a label from Houston though.

I also very obviously made this thread to vent, why else would I have written it? I am frustrated over a general slow down in my mail. Im not gonna die over it, just found it odd to experience in todays world of technology and instant gratification.

11. krispy

krispy krispy

If you actually got a notice, these can get lost or stuffed into a door and later blow away or mixed inbetween other mail stuffed in a box. A little leg work, making a call or visiting the PO branch where you expect the parcel to route, might ferret out your parcel, IF it's there.

12. krispy

krispy krispy

There is a more effective way to vent, the USPS website has a claims and feedback system and they WILL answer you if you fill out the email form online. It's in the Customer Service part of the website and kind of buried, but you should also give it a try. We here on CT can't help you, obviously, and our attention only seems to be making you angry at us for try to help.

Email Us

For less urgent communication, you can email the Postal Service™ as follows:

• Go to www.usps.com and click on “Customer Service” at the bottom of the page
    • Click on “Email Us”
    • Type in the required information
    • Click on “Submit.”

13. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

"Neither SNOW nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these carriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"...

If it makes you feel any better, I've not had mailed delivered since Monday; the postal service is not without flaw, even if not responsible in your case.

14. krispy

krispy krispy

It's also worth noting that while the public widely believes that to be the motto of the USPS, they officially have no motto and give no guarantee to the claims in that unofficial one. Here's some background on it.

So the OP can take no solace in that quotation to ease his frustrations either.

15. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

I think your only recourse there is through the eBay feedback system then. I doubt eBay itself would get involved in a transaction where a seller held the item for a couple days before shipping.

16. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

No issues receiving my ebay packages (or any packages). Must be your post office.

17. treylxapi47

Oh that's exactly how I plan on handling it. My only recourse. Just venting up here

18. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I realize that, but the association is both well and long established even if BS.

19. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

True but a certain level of understanding of that system is required BEFORE jamming some bad DSR's onto the seller.

For example, if the shipping label notification (Your item has shipped) occurs 3 days before tracking becomes available, then it "might" be the seller but then it "could also" be USPS in not scanning the package.

5 days to receive a package is extremely reasonable IMO since there are still a lot of online distributors (not ebay related) that can make you wait 2 to 4 weeks for delivery of a product. (Read the fine print)

IF "instant gratification" is what is desired, then perhaps a trip to a local coin store is in order?

krispy likes this.
  20. krispy

krispy krispy

But it's a false pretense by the public to expect the carrier acts or will act upon it.

The USPS DOES NOT stand by that motto.

They even have information that outlines what may cause a delay in delivery due to weather!

From USPS.gov:

NO MAIL DELIVERY

What conditions or events may have prevented the delivery of my mail?
    • Hazardous Weather
      Mail delivery service may be delayed or curtailed whenever streets or walkways present hazardous conditions to our carriers and/or vehicles. The Postal Service curtails delivery only after careful consideration, and only as a last resort. We appreciate your understanding of our responsibility for the safety of our employees, as well as of our customers. To obtain current information regarding weather related impacts to U.S. Postal Service® operations, go to http://about.usps.com/news/service-alerts/welcome.htm.

21. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

FWIW, I'm not seeing it here (North Carolina) -- the two items I won Tuesday evening are marked as "out for delivery", and should be in my wife's hands by now.

On the other hand, a camera module I ordered directly from a manufacturer took two days to "process", and has been sitting at "label created" for two days now. That's a bit disappointing -- I was hoping to have it for Thanksgiving, and given that it's coming FedEx Ground from the other side of the country, that seems pretty unlikely at this point.

Draft saved Draft deleted