Has anyone been the Philadelphia Mint?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by swish513, Sep 14, 2016.

1. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

My wife and I went to Philly recently, and we took the tour of the US Mint there. While I understand the lack of photos on the tour, why can't pics be taken of the coins displayed when you first enter? There's no risk of a security breach there. Or the "museum" like display on the second level? What gives?
    us mint.JPG

Also, we found this
    CAM00367.jpg

It gave me chills. This coin was minted there
    1801 3 error.jpg

charlietig and Moekeever like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

They have a great display of modern coins.

swish513 likes this.
  4. Ericred

Ericred Active Member

I always wanted to visit the Philly mint to maby see parts of the minting process. To bad you couldn't put a pin holr cam though a base ball hat, be a great film for you guys. Sadly that would be illegal. Glad your wife and you had a good time.

5. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

I wonder if you request a tour and video session ahead of time can you snag pics

Sent from my C6740N using Tapatalk

6. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I was there 2-3 years ago and also saw the first US Mint plaque you included. When I visited, the tour was all self-guided and decent but not fantastic. We just walked down a long hall, read the wall verbiage and looked onto the mint floor from a floor up. The small museum prior to the tour had the most interesting items, not to mention the gift shop.

By contrast, the Denver Mint tour still featured a live tour guide and he was awesome and filled in loads of fascinating information that the didactics at the Philly tour couldn't compete with. He also answered questions, whereas the words on the wall didn't utter too many syllables.

Regardless, I still enjoyed the Philly mint and it's definitely worth a visit. But if you're trying to choose between Philly and Denver, I would recommend Denver.

7. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

I haven't visited any of the mints, but there was a similar thread a few months back, and people were raving about the Winnipeg mint

8. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Wrong side of the country.

9. swish513

Seeing as how I also saw this in that city
    the room.JPG

I would say right side of the country. This is where the Declaration of Independence was signed and the Constitution was agreed upon.

SilverMike likes this.
  10. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I live walking distance from the Mint - and that other room you pictured - and walk through both a few times a year.

SilverMike likes this.
  11. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

I'm saying that I live on the wrong side of the country. But that's cool, that's where the Declaration was signed.

12. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Been to the Denver Mint but not on a tour.... Still cool place

13. swish513

My bad. I misinterpreted you.

14. swish513

I envy you. I have fallen in love with Philly!

15. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Even the crime is world-class here. Day before yesterday, three people including a pregnant woman got shot in broad daylight on the side street just across from where I live. Second shooting in that block this summer.

16. swish513

Every city has its issues. I still would rather be there than here in 'Nati.

17. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yeah, well, that's just because you have your map hanging with North at the top.

swish513 and charlietig like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted