Harriet Tubman

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Kentucky, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Just looking at a thread about representations of Sacagawea which brought to mind Harriet Tubman and the TERRIBLE picture of her suggested to be added to currency. If this picture had been proposed instead, would it have gone better?

[​IMG]

Stevearino, Inspector43 and Penna_Boy like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Probably not. It wasn't the likeness depicted, it was more the political reasons for putting her on currency that people didn't like. Discussing this issue requires debating the political motivations behind placing her likeness on currency, which we can't discuss here.

4. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Yep, the "problem" seems to be the person, not the depiction, I think. As for the portrait, the one above looks better than some others I have seen, but there is another important difference, see here. So if the portrait style of the other bills was to be continued/extended here, an officially proposed design should be a drawing, not a photo.

Christian

5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Aside from political motivations or anything along those lines..... I am of the mind that even though we are in a rapidly changing world, folks just dislike change when it comes to money. Ike dollars failed, The Susan B Anthony dollars failed and the golden dollars have failed. We still have billions of cents struck each year that folks leave on the counter or throw on the ground. I think the dollar coins should have been a success, but folks just don't like seeing their cash change I believe.

Mike185, Kentucky and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  6. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

A country's currency is part monetary, part art.

You do NOT remove the people who have EARNED their place on our currency because of their contribution to our nation's history.

That said, I would be OK with a re-release of the $500 bill that was proposed with Reagan on it. The counterfeit/money laundering problem remains though as with any large bills.

7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

That’s exactly what they planned to do with the $20 bill.

8. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Security features is why this bill isn't out .
    Anything else is fake news ..

Lol .....................

Kentucky likes this.
  9. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

I think it's still possible to get a dollar coin to be popular, but it will require several things:

1. It needs to be a unique size ... larger than a quarter but smaller than a half should work.

2. Needs a design that raises as little controversy as possible. An old fashioned liberty head or figure, or Teddy Roosevelt (good enough for Rushmore, good enough for a dollar coin) on the obverse. Eagle reverse.

3. Finally, and toughest politically, the paper dollar has to go. But at the same time, ramp-up production of the $2 bill and heavily publicize it.

Cal

10. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

And I thought this was not about politics. ;) But the idea is to modify the design of an existing "paper" denomination, so the comments here (not yours) about how some new dollar coin did not work, do not apply in this case.

Christian

Kentucky likes this.
  11. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

If you were to stop producing dollar bills, people would be forced to use dollar coins, as the dollar bills in circulation would turn to dust after a few years.
    How is the Harriet Tubman movie doing at the box office?

Kentucky likes this.
  12. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

This representation is reversed. But, I think it is a genuine photo and we don't need any Artist Renditions.

Kentucky likes this.
  13. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I liked the SBA dollars. They were nice looking and had some body to them.

UncleScroge and Kentucky like this.
  14. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

So, we're stuck with Lincoln cents, Jefferson nickels, Roosevelt dimes, Washington quarters, Kennedy halves, and Sacagawea dollars -- forever?

15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

When I posted the original posting, I seriously never even considered the political connection.

16. GoldFinger1969

Coins including special issues are fine for people like Harriet Tubman.

Paper currency, the larger size, the increased use, the larger portraits -- not changing it on a whim.

Poor Woodrow Wilson....stuck on that $100,000 bill !:D*

*BTW, I collect these..feel free to send them to me, regardless of condition. Can't pay for the bills but I will pay return postage.:D

Kentucky likes this.
  17. GoldFinger1969

Hey change them up. I'm more flexible on some of the newer coins. And alterenate the Mint offerings.

But when it comes to the bills, I'm a traditionalist. And hoping to add Chase, McKinley, Wilson, Cleveland, etc. to my collection. :D

Working on it right now....off to play Mega-Millions.....:D

Kentucky likes this.
  18. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Wikipedia has an image of, quote, an "Official $20 bill prototype prepared by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing in 2016" here. No idea whether the design of the $20 bill will ever be modified apart from updates for technical/security reasons, but at least this is more "in line", style wise, with the current portraits.

Christian

Stevearino and Kentucky like this.
  19. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Does anyone here actually put coins in your pocket before leaving the house ? I don’t, and haven’t for decades. Coins make a one way trip home when I receive them in change. It’s been plastic (digital) or paper money for me for a long long time.

I’m guessing if merchants could get everything they sell to round up or down to the dollar, coins would disappear.

20. GoldFinger1969

Well, technically I "left" the house to go downstairs in my condo unit to do the laundry...but since then we replaced the coin machines with card machines. :D

Kentucky likes this.
  21. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Never once in my life, other than when I was a child in the 60's to very early 70's, have I ever put change in my pocket when leaving the house. Like you said, change was always given a one way ride.....home.

My accumulation of change in the last decade has dwindled to a trickle. The transition to plastic and a cashless society was quick. I remember probably 20-25 years ago Bill Gates was the first I ever heard say we'd be a cashless society in the future. I totally said he was crazy and dismissed his prediction. The speed this occurred still to this day blows me away.

usmc 6123, Stevearino and Kentucky like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted