Harriet Tubman commemorative coins coming in 2024

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by willieboyd2, Aug 14, 2022.

1. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Legislation signed into law Aug. 3 by President Biden authorizes a three-coin commemorative coin program for 2024 recognizing Civil War abolitionist Harriet Tubman.

The Harriet Tubman Bicentennial Commemorative Coin Act, Public Law 117-163, calls for the production and release in Proof and Uncirculated versions combined of 50,000 gold $5 coins, 400,000 silver dollars and 750,000 copper-nickel clad half dollars.

Beneficiaries are the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center in Cincinnati, Ohio, and The Harriet-Tubman Home Inc. in Auburn, New York.

Coin World article:
    https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/biden-signs-bill-for-2024-tubman-commemorative-coins

:)

Mr.Q, Kurisu, ernie11 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Another unnecessary commemorative coin

Anthony Mazza and Jim Dale like this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Every coin thats not intended for circulation is technically unnecessary. There's going to be 2 commemorates every year as there has been for quite a while. Their success depends on subject mater and more importantly the design. They would be smart to have lower mintages especially on the half which never comes close to selling out, but very few sell out in any form with the mintages they always get alloted. If it has a strong design it has a chance, if its another poor design like so many in recent years it will be another low selling flop thats cheaper on the after market

Kurisu, ernie11, Kentucky and 2 others like this.
  5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I have always wondered how much of the money actually go to the Beneficiaries and what they did with the funds. I never see the actual figures. I would hope that some good came from the program.

Mr.Q likes this.
  6. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The only time I heard information about this was when the sales of the coins were not high enough to cover the mint's advertising costs. As I remember it, there were provisions to recover at least some more of the money from the group that was supposed to get the surcharge money.

Tubman was a significant historical figure, but I can't see a three piece set, including a gold coin, honoring her. I wonder how many sets will be sold given that they will probably cost $800 by then.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It might make a cool short book if the information is even out there.
    I would bet that after everyone got a cut, little went to the actual cause it was intended for.

8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

The proposal to put her on the $20 bill has turned her into a polarizing figure. If not for that, we probably wouldn't be facing several years of bitter complaints about a commemorative issue. :banghead:

9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I think Tubman is a significant US historical figure and that coins will make a grand way to honor her.

MrDSmith, Kurisu, 7Jags and 4 others like this.
  10. charley

charley Well-Known Member

I would have been in favor of a Quanah Parker Commemorative coin, especially if it was a gold $20.00 piece.
    A class above significant, in the history of the U.S., deserving of honor.

Jim Dale likes this.
  11. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Eh, fair enough. Minty is well deserving, but its unfortunate it's only come to fruition after petty politics. I don't buy from the mint, but I can't say I never will so take that as you will.

Maybe it would end up being among the better modern issues, garners enough interest to sell well, and ends up being a popular design. That kind of epitomizes the US Mint.

12. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I don't think that the mint would ever issue a $20 gold commemorative coin if it were full size. The price would be too high to get very many sales with gold at $1,700 to $1,800 an ounce.

LakeEffect likes this.
  13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

"Price too high" seems to be a rapidly moving target for the Mint these days.

7Jags and charley like this.
  14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

crying lol gif.gif

15. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The first lady gold coins didn't sell and they melted most of them. (Right?)
    Unless someone with money even knows this is going on, these may not sell out.

16. baseball21

Go look at world mints, the USA mint is still significantly cheaper than the average major world mint

Mr.Q and Kentucky like this.
  17. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Sort of like that Buffalo thing.

18. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Who’s Harriet? She sat on the bus right? Never mind. She was the underground rainroad

Kentucky likes this.
  19. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

One assumes these will have legal tender status. Now, will the silver dollars be REAL silver? and who spend them. The CN half-dollars should be okay since we
    know their metal content. But just like Kennedy CN halves I wonder if these will circulate. Time will tell. Oh, gee, maybe the Mint will sell rolls to the public postage free, like the Presidential dollars.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  20. baseball21

Uh, its a commemorative........

fiddlehead, Kentucky and ldhair like this.
  21. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Great idea. Make it so you can order them from the bank for a buck

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
Draft saved Draft deleted