Harpers Ferry DDR

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by usmc60, Nov 3, 2016.

1. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

First off let me say welcome to CT. Whenever you get ready there ino problem. The thread will be here for a while. Or you may decide to post your own thread. The choice will be yours, but you're more than welcome to join this thread anytime.:happy::blackalien:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ordinary Fool

Ordinary Fool Active Member

Thank you Sir, and your cordail graciousness is duly noted and appreciated. I'll put my Harper's Ferry finds here and perhaps your and Bryan's threads could eventually be merged. I agree on the Mt. Rushmore's being tough. The Blue Ridge ones are as well except when there are clashes in the finely mirrored fields.

An aside, I would love to know how what technology is being used to make the dies for these complex mints. From time to time I fancy the notion of having the IGES wireframes for them and then rethink how much all that data would consume of my workhorse eventually turning my brain into clad coin obsessed mush!

Surely there are cad drawings for these and the dies are designed/machine using Pro-E or something equally demanding and then any number of capable post processing packages?

Or are they still doing the plaster stuff and mechanically linked reduction duplication?

Over ten years ago I test flew, mostly just observed as it almost confused and frightened me, a small Citizen dual spindle 7 axis lathe, both spindles indexable with all the feed/spindle/workpiece change tricks, with live tooling capably and rapidly spitting out amazing tiny parts.

In fact, I'd say with some Renishaw probes to inspect tool wear programmed to chuck up another when it was shot, do some datum point checking, that machine could likely churn out amazing coins from billet and wickedly fast.

In the same room there was a 5 axis dancing table mill whittling out a titanium human knee joint with mind boggling precision. The thought of programming that dancing table mill made my head hurt.

What is available now, even without lasers, is far more amazing than those awe inspiring machines.

Must take an engineers tour of the mint plant tool and die room.... I wonder if that can be arranged.

By the way, I did catch the usb scope post and I only know about it what you do. Most I see offered start at way too much magnification for non-scientific work and have way too little optical card. A better smart phone from the last 2 or 3 years, typcially will have a much better camera than even the 14MP usb 3 scopes offered without all the usb limiting bottlenecks. Even with USB 3 connections (about 10 times faster than USB 2), the bottleneck is still an issue for large files and videos.

One of those thru the eye-piece of your stereo might impress you. I would be surprised if you don't have a near-by pal with a top shelf Samsung or I-phone type of smartphone. Thanks again, Sir.

4. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Well as I've always Said, to each their own, if you go back to page 1 down to my set up. You will notice on the computer screen, you will see Wexler site up on the left side, and my cameras photo of a bamboo hook on the right side. This is the easiest way I found to comparing DD with other known DDs. Take a good look at my computer screen and you'll see exactly what I mean. I do not know that much about smart phones. And since most smart phones nowadays are more powerful than most computers. I'm sure you could do the same thing but on a smaller scale. I find the older I get the bigger the screen And the image is the easier it is for me. Can't wait to see your pics.:happy::blackalien:

5. Ordinary Fool

If I may suggest perhaps cutting a doughnut out of various types of thin tissue or even waxed papers to make a diffuser for your scope's LED ring.

As far as the smartphone and pc connectivity, myriads of possible means exists to do it hard wired coupled as well as wirelessly.

Here is one I merely shot after being flipped with my phone and it's flash. Far from ideal.

You should be able to see the middle barrel doubled although this isn't a great shot for seeing the bottom of the first barrel being launched.

I actually found so many different ones, more errors than DD's, I just ceased, put all of them not inspected in tubes and shuffled the flipped ones into secure storage.

I'll dig them back out for some decent photography out of the flips. Now to find one of who knows how many staple pullers I am sure I own and also purchase a good stapler that will cinch them flat.

Attached Files:

6. Ordinary Fool

Well, I poked around and it appears I kept that one here. Pulled it out since it was off kilter anyhow and shot it without my optimal lighting or DSLR rig. The front barrel thing isn't doubling, it's a gouge. The middle barrel is certainly doubled.

Front side shows a very weak near chinless strike with the devices otherwise very crisp.

Attached Files:

7. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/harpers-ferry-barrel-hit.283597/You may want to take a look at this thread as far as the barrel hits are concerned.:blackalien:

8. Ordinary Fool

Reply quoted with linkage corrected.

Looks like a different die and I know the one I'm looking at with the middle barrel only hit is definitely not PMD. I can't imagine those double barrel hits are either. I saw a youtube video of the coin very similar to the twin barrel hits, never have been able to find it since stumbling across it maybe a month ago.

9. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

I'll have to go through my photos but I got some single barrel hits. Sent one in the Wexler about eight months ago. Received the coin back with mechanical doubling. So I basically just left it at that. Came across this durable barrel later. If you could get a close-up of what you're looking at and post a pic that would be appreciated. Soon as I finds the single hit photos all post them. detective.gif :blackalien:

10. Ordinary Fool

Naked eye visible and interesting no matter the cause.

Attached Files:

11. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Here are some more of JW's not yet updated on his site, Harpers Ferry's. One is already listed on this thread, page 4 quote 14. 2016-p 25c WV WDDR006. I would like to add 07 08 09 and 10. USMC60 2016-p 25c WV WDDR007
    2016-p WDDR 007.jpg
    2016-P WV WDDR008 2016-p WDDR 008.jpg
    2-16-P 25C WV WDDR009 2016-p WDDR 009.jpg
    2016-P 25C WV WDDR010 2016-p-25c WV W010.jpg

12. Ordinary Fool

20170226_111706.jpg 20170226_110219.jpg 20170226_090552.jpg 20170226_090623.jpg 20170226_090659.jpg Here's another possibly resembling some of yours. This one has a noticable rotation error. Sorry for the delays but, there will be more.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    usmc60 likes this.
  13. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Here's my most interesting find as of today. At first I was going to give it its own thread, have not come across one like this yet. Or have I seen any additional references to one like this. The center window array. This is the first time I've seen any doubling on the right side of the windows, and down at the door jam Windows this is the first doubling I've seen their. Take a look you make your own judgment. This one is going in my files as a UDDR 001 USMC60 ct3-14-2.jpg

Attached Files:

14. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

15. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

You guys are having to much fun without me.
    Can't wait to get back home. It's been a blast in Alabama.

BlackBeard_Thatch likes this.
  16. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Let's add UDDR 027 focal point would be lower window Aire on the left side.:happy::blackalien: ct4-3-4.jpg

Attached Files:

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  17. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

18. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

UDDR028 ct4-6-4.jpg :shame::blackalien:

19. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

20. usmc60