Happy Germanicus!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by octavius, Sep 1, 2019.

1. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

Happy Germanicus!, Oops, I mean happy September. But actually for a brief period of time the emperor Caligula tried to rename September, Germanicus after his dad. His attempt was spoiled by a nasty assassination in AD XLI and the seventh (or ninth month - depending upon your perspective) reverted to the old term September again. I believe later on Commodus tried a similar move but this time it was to honor himself, and that went nowhere.
    Anyway, post some of your Gemanicus coins so we can honor him in a more humble way...

063019.jpg 063019N2.jpg 77099.jpg 729313.jpg m47875.jpg RM12_GERMANICUS_1.jpg 0001LG.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Those are excellent photos of some magnificent coins you posted @octavius

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    octavius likes this.
  4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Jumpin' Jupiter, @octavius , those are stunning coins! All I have is this humble left-facing As.

Germanicus as.jpg

The cool thing is that it's a reverse die-match to the listing in Cohen!

Germanicus As Cohen.jpg

See?

Germanicus As reverse die match to Cohen.jpg

And super-imposed:

CT-RC-GermanicusReverseCohenDrawing.gif

You'll also note the reverse legend uses small interpuncta to separate the abbreviated words. This is most noticeable in the superimposed GIF image.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  5. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

My only Germanicus, received in a lot of uncleaned coins many years ago:
    [​IMG]
    Bronze As
    Rome mint, A.D. 50-54
    Obv: GERMANICVS CAESAR TI AVG F DIVI AVG N
    Rev: TI CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG P M TR P IMP PP, encircling SC
    RIC (Claudius) 106
    29mm, 10.5g.

6. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Stunning coins and cool info on the short lived month. I wonder who turned it back. To bad it isn't named after Septimius. Septimber!
    Anyway, here is my contribution, he and his father in law, 2 of the very best generals Rome had to offer.
    A1571D66-C26C-48E5-88FD-99DDD00D0C99.png
    Agrippa
    As (37-41, Rome)-Neptune A/M Agrippa LF COS III. Bust capped from the rostral crown on the left.
    R/SC. Neptune standing on the left, holding a dolphin and a trident.
    47),

297FD119-38B0-491A-97D0-FAFBEF94DEA0.png
    Germanicus
    Æ As. Struck under Caligula, Rome, 37-38 CE. GERMANICVS CAESAR TI AVGVST F DIVI AVG N, bare head left / C CAESAR AVG GERMANICVS PON M TR POT around large SC. RIC 35; C. 1; BMC 49. 10.94g, 29mm

Attached Files:

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

8. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..wow!...how kool is that?!...:)

Roman Collector likes this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Germanicus and Drusus AE25 Koinon Asia
    pb0058fd2966.jpg

Although shown above in higher grade, I remain fond of my number 47.
    rb0985fd2626.jpg

10. Jims Coins

Jims Coins Well-Known Member

The more I look at this coin, I wonder if it is a Tiberius
    Obv.
    CAESAR.TI.AVG.F.DIVI.AVG.N
    Rev.
    PONT.II.TRIBVN.POT around SC
    thought it is a Germanicus, can anyone help me identify, 9.3 grams, 30.06 mm, Thanks ABBS-359 OBV.jpg ABBS-359 REV.jpg
    IT IS DRUSUS, found it.

11. Archeocultura

Archeocultura Well-Known Member

Germanicus and Agrippina from Aezanis, 3b nr 007 Germanicus en Agrippina AE 19 Aezanis RPC Claudius.jpg

12. Archeocultura

Archeocultura Well-Known Member

Tiberius, Germanicus and Drusus 3b nr 011 Tiberius Germanicus en Drusus AE 26 Romula RPC 74.jpg

13. Numisnewbiest

Numisnewbiest Well-Known Member

Not trying to be snarky, but Germanicus's father was Nero Claudius Drusus, not Marcus Agrippa, but I agree they were two of of the best generals of Rome.

Ryro likes this.
  14. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Not snarky at all. I appreciate the heads up. Doh! It was his mom, Agrippina the elder (pretty obviously derp) not his dad who Caligula is related through. I've corrected my post. Thanks!

Numisnewbiest likes this.
  15. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

3103 Germ ct.jpg

AE Germanicus (-19). Sardes, Lydia. Mnaseas as magistrate. Obv.: Bare head left. ΓEPMANIKΟΣ ΚΑΙΣΑΡ. Rev.: Athena standing left, holding phiale (a shallow bowl for libation), spear and shield. ΣΑΡΔΙΑΝΩΝ MNAΣEAΣ. 13-14 mm, 2.72 gr.

3105 S Pollio ct.jpg

Lydia, Sardis. AE27 Germanicus and Drusus (died AD 19 and 23, respectively). Struck about 24-26, later restruck with a ring by Asinius Pollio, their half-brother and proconsul of Asia. Obv: ΔΡΟΥΣΟΣ ΚΑΙ ΓΕΡΜΑΝΙΚΟΣ ΚΑΙΣΑΡΕΣ ΝΕΟΙ ΘΕΟΙ ΦΙΛΑΔΕΛΦΟΙ. Germanicus and Drusus seated left on curule chairs, one of whom holds lituus. Rev: ΓΑΙΩ ΑΣΙΝΝΙΩ ΠΟΛΛΙΩΝΙ ΑΝΘΥΠΑΤΩ. KOINOY / AΣIAΣ in two lines within wreath. 26.5 mm, 13.75 gr.

And here's the fascinating thread about this type, originated by TIF four years ago with sparring partner Dougsmit.

16. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Happy seventh month ....that is really the ninth month!

Maybe someone should have renamed it?
    [​IMG]
    Germanicus. Æ Dupondius Struck under Gaius (Caligula), AD 37-41.

O: GERMANICVS/CAESAR in two lines above, Germanicus standing right in chariot, R: SIGNIS RECEPT/DEVICTIS GERM/S C in three lines across field, Germanicus, bareheaded, wearing cuirass and short tunic, holding aquila in left hand. RIC I 57 (Gaius); BMCRE 93-100 (Caligula); BN 140-51 (Caligula). Rome mint. 28 mm. 12.2gm.

17. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I always love seeing your first century bronzes, @octavius!

Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 11.00.38 AM.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted