Happy Birthday, Marcus Aurelius!!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zumbly, Apr 26, 2015.

1. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MARCUS AURELIUS!!
    Born: 26 April 121 AD
    Reigned : 8 March 161 - 17 March 180 AD

Marcus Aurelius was the last of the Five Good Emperors who ruled the Roman Empire in the 2nd century AD. Emperor Hadrian took a shine to the serious young boy, nicknaming him Verissimus ('the truthful'), and when he was ailing, had his heir Antoninus Pius adopt Aurelius as his own son, with the intention that he should eventually rule the empire.

Celebrated even during his lifetime as a philosopher-king, the image of Aurelius as a p̶o̶n̶t̶i̶f̶i̶c̶a̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶b̶l̶o̶w̶h̶a̶r̶d̶ noble-minded intellectual is the one that most strongly persists today. His literary legacy, Meditations, is in my humble opinion, the most brilliant philosophical treatise ever written on just getting on with your life without being an a*hole (or giving a whit about those who are). It's apparently Bill Clinton's favorite book. Here's one of my favorite quotes from it :

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."
    - Marcus Aurelius

As a bonus, here's another quote from a fellow Stoic thinker and Clinton favorite. It could easily have come from Aurelius himself, and I think he would have appreciated it.

"The only currency I value is the coin of the spirit."
    - Kinky Friedman

Uhm, now that I look at it, maybe that second quote isn't wholly appropriate given that this is a coin forum :D. To recity that, here are my favorite Marcus Aurelius coins... please post yours!

MARCUS AURELIUS, AE As, RIC 1192.
    Marcus Aurelius Galley C.jpg

MARCUS AURELIUS, AR Denarius, RIC 363.
    marcus aurelius de germ c.jpg

dlhill132, Eng, chrsmat71 and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I have a sub-collection of Mars that I just add the occasional coin to every now and again. It doesn't have any real focus or pattern just me adding a random Mars coin when I feel like it. This Mars coin arrived this week and I didn't have an excuse to share it until I saw this thread. Thanks.

Marcus Aurelius, Sestertius
    Obv:– M ANTONINVS AVG TR P XXV, Laureate head right
    Rev:– COS III. S-C, Mars walking right holding spear and trophy
    Minted in Rome. Dec. A.D. 173 – Jun. 174
    Reference(s) – BMC 1385. RIC II Marcus Aurelius 992. C. 127

[​IMG]

Martin

dlhill132, Eng, chrsmat71 and 6 others like this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Huh, why do I only have one posthumous coin of this great emperor? Must rectify (also must reshoot this picture).

[​IMG]
    MARCUS AURELIUS, CE 161-180
    posthumous issue struck under Commodus in CE 180

sestertius; 27 mm, 22.8 gm. Rome
    Obv: DIVVS M ANTONINVS PIVS, bare head right
    Rev: CONSECRATIO / S-C, eagle with spread wings on globe, facing, head left
    Ref: RIC 656 (Commodus)

With the missing letters and ugly obverse concretion, it's a strange coin. I bought it as an add-on in a Pecunem auction-- inexpensive, no other bidders, and the eagle made me laugh. It looks like a scrawny chicken standing on an egg.

dlhill132, Eng, chrsmat71 and 6 others like this.
  5. zumbly

Whatchoo talkin' bout, Willisinna? I love that coin and the picture even more! But you absolutely need to buy more Marky A coins.

coinman1234 and TIF like this.
  6. Severatus

Severatus Active Member

IMG_4833.JPG IMG_4835.JPG IMG_1781.JPG IMG_1785.JPG IMG_1742.JPG IMG_1746.JPG MY MArcus AE Dupondius.jpg My first coin, Given to me by my beloved wife!

The year I graduated high school an older family friend mentioned Meditations of Marcus Aurelius and I ended up buying a copy to get more Philosophical....hopefully to look cool to older, smarter chicks.

Years later, I was living in Fresno and at an antique store came across a well worn,bad metal, soft struck Denarius of Marcus Aurelius in one of those electric carousels with shelves.

I could not believe something so old would not be in a museum..... being young these realizations come often and seem so profound....guess cause ya really don't stop and think on it. Ancient Money.....there can't be too many of those....right.....oh ya...duh.

I wanted this coin so much, the price was $250 which seemed reasonable to me.

My wife who was my girlfriend at the time said " Wow thats cool but, $250?? "

As a full time student I tried to get the vendor to let me give him payments every two weeks however with such a valuable example you gotta play hard ball and so he refused.

She said "well you birthday is coming and maybe we can get it or find a cheaper one."

My birthday came and that weekend my future wife brought me this sweet,sweet coin.

Marcus Aurelius Denarius - Armenia Reverse

Imperial Portrait check! - Full Inscription check! - Good well circulated smooth Metal Check! - Historical propaganda reverse CHECK!

I own rare coins - I own more valuable coins but, if I lost this one I would be bummed seriously - close to misplacing your wedding ring kinda fear.

Anywho's gotta love the last hurah of the noble line of decent emperors.....

One of these days I may have it mounted in a ring - it is more to me than just a uncommon ancient in circulated condition....it's the one that brought me into the amazing light of history...Excuse my impromptu cruddy pic - the others came later.

Aidan_(), dlhill132, Eng and 9 others like this.
  7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Awesome story, Severatus!

Mikey Zee likes this.
  8. zumbly

Wow, that's an enviable set of MA coins, Sev! And what a great story about your first coin acquisition.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  9. Severatus

Severatus Active Member

You Early Birds! Thanks :)

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I like the story Sev almost as much (but not quite) as I like your coins.

And Z, those coins are great and I think at least scarce.

Marcus Aurelius 3.jpg
    MARCUS AURELIUS
    AE Sestertius
    OBVERSE: M ANTONINVS AVG GERM SARMATICVS, laureate head right
    REVERSE: TR P XXIX IMP VIII COS III S-C, Annona standing left, holding corn-ears & cornucopiae; modius with two corn-ears and poppy at her feet
    Struck at Rome, 175 AD
    22.3g, 30mm
    RIC 1154
    Marcus Aurelius 1.jpg
    MARCUS AURELIUS
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: M ANTONINVS AVG IMP II - Bare head right
    REVERSE: PROV DEOR TR P XVII COS III, Providentia standing left, holding globe and cornucopiae
    Struck at Rome, 162-3 AD
    2.6g, 17mm
    RIC 67
    Marcus Aurelius 2.jpg
    MARCUS AURELIUS
    AE Sestertius
    OBVERSE: AVRELIVS CAESAR AVG PII F COS, bare head right
    REVERSE: IVVENTAS S C, Juventas, wearing a long robe, standing left, holding a patera, sprinkling incense on a candelabrum
    Struck at Rome, 140 AD
    12.4g, 27mm
    RIC 1232, C 393, S4831

dlhill132, Severatus, Eng and 5 others like this.
  11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Nice, Severatus => man, that's a sweet personal coin-story (it's almost an impossible act to follow, my friend)

:rolleyes:

Ummmm, but since this is all about Marcus Aurelius and his birthday, I've decided to toss-in one of my favourite coins ...

=> Happy Birthday MA, ya ol' gryphon you!!

Marcus Aurelius AE Drachma (Alexandria)

Marcus Griffin a.jpg Marcus Griffin b.jpg

dlhill132, Severatus, Eng and 6 others like this.
  12. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

[​IMG]
    Marcus Aurelius (161 - 180 A.D.)
    Æ18
    Augusta Traiana, Thrace
    O: AV KAI M AVPH ANTONEINO, Cuirassed bust right.
    R: AVΓOVCTHC TPAIANHC, River-god reclining left, resting on inverted vase from which water flows.
    18mm
    4g
    RPC 10330

[​IMG]
    Marcus Aurelius (161 - 180 A.D.)
    AR Denarius
    O: M ANTONINVS AVG GERM SARM, Laureate head right.
    R: TR P XXX IMP VIII COS III, Roma standing left holding Victory and spear.
    3.5g
    19.38mm
    RIC 352; RSC 929a; BMC 669

dlhill132, Bing, stevex6 and 2 others like this.
  13. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Dang! I really need to nail down a good Marcus Aurelius Denarius.
    Here is my favorite quote that probably is meant for us Westerners.:woot:

"At dawn, when you have trouble getting out of bed, tell yourself: 'I have to go to work — as a human being. What do I have to complain of, if I'm going to do what I was born for — the things I was brought into the world to do? Or is this what I was created for? To huddle under the blankets and stay warm?'
    — But it's nicer in here ...
    So you were born to feel 'nice'? Instead of doing things and experiencing them? Don't you see the plants, the birds, the ants and spiders and bees going about their individual tasks, putting the world in order, as best they can? And you're not willing to do your job as a human being? Why aren't you running to do what your nature demands?"
    Great post Zumbly!

chrsmat71, Bing and zumbly like this.
  14. JBGood

JBGood Collector of coinage Supporter

Marcus Aurelius Egypt tetradrachm OMONIA Marcus Aurelius Egypt tetradrachm OMONIA.jpg MA AE sestertius Rome

Marcus Aurelius.jpg

MA AR denarius

Marcus Aurelius AR denarius.jpg

dlhill132, TIF, Eng and 4 others like this.
  15. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

some good stuff here!

my only MA coin is this unlisted provincial..

[​IMG]

dlhill132, TIF, stevex6 and 3 others like this.
  16. Cyrrhus

Cyrrhus Well-Known Member

Oooppps my sestertius Aurelius and Pius.
    nice topic !!

IMG_0031.JPG IMG_0032.JPG

17. Cyrrhus

Cyrrhus Well-Known Member

ooo 100% real check by two numanistics companies!!

18. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Its a MA party, great lookin' coins folks.:)

Marcus Aurelius..156 - 157..AD..
    As Caesar..
    Ae, Seatertius..
    25mmx 30mm..18.84g
    Lull and Marco 004_opt.jpg
    MA and Galba 002_opt.jpg

dlhill132, chrsmat71, TIF and 3 others like this.
  19. dlhill132

dlhill132 Member

Happy late B-day.

35.jpg 35b.jpg 35c.jpg

Bing, chrsmat71, stevex6 and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted