Happy Birthday, Henry VIII

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I've had this coin for awhile now, but decided to share it now since today is Henry VIII 527th birthday.

I have wanted a portrait of his for a long while and though this has its issues, they are easy to live with and for under $100, can't beat it.

Since it's his birthday, let's all share our coins of the big & historical man!

[​IMG]
    Henry VIII (1509-1547 A.D.)
    AR Groat
    Second Coinage
    O: hЄnRIC’ VIII D’ G’ R’ ΛGLIЄ Z FRΛnCЄ, crowned bust right (Laker bust D); saltire stops, Lombardic lettering.
    R: POSVI DEV’ ΛDIVTORЄ’ mЄV’, royal shield over long cross fourchée; saltires in forks, double saltire stops, Lombardic lettering.
    Tower mint; im:arrow, 1526-1532 A.D.
    25mm
    2.55g
    SCBC 2337E; North 1797

nicholasz219, Curtisimo, TJC and 15 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Very nice groat of Henry VIII @Mat that is a real winner. I regret selling off my coins of Henry and would like to re-start my collection of him.

Multatuli, Deacon Ray and Mat like this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thanks!

Multatuli likes this.
  5. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Nice coin @Mat , and you cannot go wrong for that price.

Here is mine which has the same Spink reference number as your yours. This coin was liberated from its plastic tomb.

England. House of Tudor. Henry VIII (1509-1547). Second Coinage, 1526-1544. Groat, mm rose. Laker bust D, rev. Shield over cross fourchee. S.2337E. PCGS Genuine, Cleaned - XF Detail. Spink USA, The Numismatic Collectors' Series Sale
    Sale Date: 04/17/2018

henry viii.jpg

6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

NICE portrait coin of Hank!

Hmmmmmm...... @Mat may know ALL ABOUT this little gem...

upload_2018-6-28_15-38-39.png
    IRELAND Henry VIII 1509-1547 AR Groat 25mm 2.5g hЄnRIC VIII DI GR RЄX - RΛnCIЄ ЄT hIBЄRnIЄ harp H & R London SCBI 22 Copenhagen
    Ex: @Mat The Harp Master :)

TheRed, nicholasz219, GregH and 7 others like this.
  7. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

:singing:

Very nice younger portrait! I have a budget example of his older portrait (3rd coinage, 1544-47, Southwark mint):
    Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 3.30.34 PM.jpg

Nathan401, TheRed, GregH and 7 others like this.
  8. Multatuli

Multatuli Homo numismaticus

Happy birthday!

Here’s my contribution: 32589E9A-BBD1-4D1E-8913-6B34FCF75618.jpeg
    794EC9F6-7E54-41EF-AC09-E2B3690517E9.jpeg
    Half Groat 1526-30. York mint.
    Cardinal Wolsey.

Attached Files:

Nathan401, TheRed, Curtisimo and 6 others like this.
  9. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice additions, everyone.

Almost bought a Cardinal Wolsey half groat, but got a Mary I groat instead.

Alegandron likes this.
  10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Pretty neat Mat. None to share. I only have a few from around the period, but I wouldn't mind more.

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have a special fondness for these initialed issues. Mine is a bit later issued in the time of Thomas Cranmer, who had the misfortune of living until the reign of the most Catholic 'Bloody' Mary who executed him.
    v00675bb2745.jpg

Many English coins of the period suffer from very shallow portrait die work. Late Henry 8 (so it is inscribed, not VIII) coins also have debased silver making it hard to find pretty ones. Often one must choose between legends or portraits.
    v00676bb3247.jpg

12. HAB Peace 28 2.0

HAB Peace 28 2.0 The spiders are as big as the door

I do not have a coin to contribute. Although, I would like to point out. The Tudors was one of the best series, I've maybe ever seen. It used to be on Showtime. Around 10 years ago?

Nathan401 likes this.
  13. nicholasz219

nicholasz219 Well-Known Member

@Mat Another wow pickup! I have a small set of medieval pennies but I am missing a Henry 8.

14. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

And ex- @lordmarcovan before that* , and ex- @Aethelred before that. ;)

Alegandron and nicholasz219 like this.
  15. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I highly recommend this series to everyone here. I'll add that it is an adult show, not suitable for children. It's on Netflix.

HAB Peace 28 2.0 likes this.
  16. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL, REALLY!? Did not know that!

So @Aethelred dug it out of the ground? :) In NC??? (Now, I can't WAIT to get back to NC.)

17. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

He doesn't go diggin' anymore, but found some cool stuff back when he did (including two 1700s Spanish half-reales).

I don't know where he got that harp groat, but he certainly seems to be in the hammered silver pipeline, and has such things walk into his shop more often than I'd expect.

Of course I got that coin from him before he opened the shop. Maybe he'll remember where it came from and you can stretch the provenance on it back even farther!

nicholasz219 and Alegandron like this.
  18. HAB Peace 28 2.0

HAB Peace 28 2.0 The spiders are as big as the door

Yes. It's 100% absolutely not for children. It's fairly graphic and intended for mature audiences. Although, the great acting and plot make it worthwhile.

Nathan401 likes this.
  19. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

Happy 527th Great Harry!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted