Happy Birthday America Contest Who's paying Attention? GTG

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Paddy54, Jul 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

You went crabbing this morning ? Cool....miss not having a boat any longer....well not missing the maintenance lol. But do miss running the bay..... fun times.

moneycostingmemoney likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

oh! Never mind!

4. moneycostingmemoney

moneycostingmemoney Yukon Coriolis

We did, but not from a boat. I wanted to teach little man the art of neckin so I took him down to Kent island and did the pier thing. All Sallys.

5. Paddy54

Yeah the water temperature isn't quite right yet..... you really needed to be deeper to come up with the big jimmy's

6. Paddy54

The contest is now closed. The winner TBA around dinner hour today. Thanks for all who entered .

7. Paddy54

20170705_171506.jpg
    We had one person who guessed the grade and variety correct. However made a guess of a value of $340.
    Going off of 5 recent auctions this coin in MS -64 hammered at just under $280.
    However since they were the closest on two of the 3 questions asked they will receive the 1938 D/D Buffalo Nickel. The pop on this variety in 64 is only 57! In 65-191. Finding one in FS is extremely rare only a hand full known. PCGS highest grade for the year and variety is a 67!
    In MS 64 this variety is rated as an R- 2.3

I will admit and agree that this specimen is closer to a 65 and 5 steps. If it would grade at that It would place the value at least 3 x's the value of the slab at 64.

That said Moneycostingmemoney is the contest winner, His guess ms 64 an 1949 D/S and $340. Which is NGC /PCGS price guides prices.

8. Paddy54

PM me your address and I will get this out asap....

9. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the contest Paddy54, and congrats to Moneycostingmemoney for winning a nice gift!

10. moneycostingmemoney

PM sent! I did use the PCGS MS64 price, which was much more realistic than Redbook. I keep forgetting to check closed auction pricing to see what the true market is...noted. Thanks again for this opportunity and the awesome prize!

Theodosius and LaCointessa like this.
  11. Congrats......

12. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I didn't realize that it would be a 3rd or 4th tier slab, They are usually considerably higher in grade than reality. Upon checking final auction listings this looked like a gem, saw a few 66 that looked like this one. but could not tell from your photos how much luster it had. Anyways, nice Rpm you got there @moneycostingmemoney.
    Congrats.

13. Paddy54

See there's the problem do you leave it as is ,knowing that it should upgrade by at least a point? Or roll the dice ,and hope that it will grade higher.
    In hand I believe that it would go a 65 and possibly 5 FS . Raising it's value to $700-800. However with the interest level for this variety so low, I'm happy where it sits.
    Now if we were talking a 67 + grade I be like crack her out...

14. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Paddy54 and moneycostingmemoney like this.
  15. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Cant tell from the photo if it gets fs.. but it would need the FS designation to be worth sending it,
    64FS 650
    64+FS 875
    65FS 1250 (auction)

Paddy54 likes this.
  16. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Nice coin, and great pickup!!!
    That was fun AND educational

Paddy54 and moneycostingmemoney like this.
  17. Paddy54

Yeah but I like this right where it is.....old PCI green holder . Knowing quite well it's higher grade then noted on the slab. Plus over time the tone should progress nicely.

18. moneycostingmemoney

The Buffalo nickel has arrived. Thanks again for the great opportunity and prize @Paddy54 ! She's a great addition to the collection.

Pickin and Grinin and Paddy54 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.