Happy Birthday Abe Lincoln

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by SensibleSal66, Feb 12, 2021.

1. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Hey everyone . It's Abe Lincoln's Birthday !!! Born Feb. 12th 1809 !! In honor of this great president , I've posted the Lincoln Cent , post yours as well . :)
    th (1).jpg 1921S CentObv.jpg 1996S LMC-obv-horz.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Abraham Lincoln was an American statesman and lawyer who served as the 16th president of the United States from 1861 until his assassination in 1865. Lincoln led the nation through the American Civil War, the country's greatest moral, constitutional, and political crisis. He succeeded in preserving the Union, abolishing slavery, bolstering the federal government, and modernizing the U.S. economy.

Penny Luster likes this.
  4. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

The first year he ever appeared on a coin, 1909 vdb!
    1909 vdb.png

5. Dialupsux

Dialupsux Well-Known Member

abe.jpg
    not coins - but happy birthday Abe

6. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

PR66BN (unless the image doesn't show up. Weird goings on with externally linked images.)

[​IMG]

Trying this way:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  7. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

I have plenty of Lincoln Wheat cents, but I'd rather share something else in commemoration of President Lincoln's 212th birthday. Here's a banknote from when he first appeared on the five-dollar bill back in 1914. President Lincoln also appeared on notes such as the $500 gold certificate and the $100 legal tender note. In addition, he also appeared on three different issues of American banknotes during his lifetime.

1914 $5 FRN Red Seal Boston A1.jpg
    1914 $5 FRN Red Seal Boston A1 Reverse.jpg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  8. Penny Luster

Penny Luster Well-Known Member

9. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Through elementary school I was the civil war nerd. Lincoln's life story, from rural Kentucky to a youth bookworm, to a congressman, to first republican president, to being the great emancipator himself!

Penny Luster and SensibleSal66 like this.
  10. coinup

coinup Junior Member

11. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Not my coin but one I dream about and hope to own one day . 20210212_115925.jpg 20210212_115947.jpg

12. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Here are three Lincoln campaign items.

This piece was from his 1860 presidential campaign. The die sinker didn't get his name right and called him "Abram. Lincoln." It was said that the mistake came from an early biography which had the wrong name in the title.

The reverse with the all seeing eye was from the the Hartfort, Connecticut marching club, which was one of Lincoln's most ardent supporters. The obverse design is fairly common. It was used with three other reverses. When it is paired with the "all seeing eye" reverse, it's rare.

AL 1860-30 All.jpg

"Honest old Abe" was used as a slogan in the 1864 campaign. This piece is somewhat scarce.

AL 1864-4  All.jpg

This is a Lincoln / Johnson ferrotype from the 1864 campaign. The obverse looks like encased postage because the same tools and patents were in play. This piece is somewhat scarce. Forrotypes were photos that were printed on thin sheets of iron.

AL 1864-94 All.jpg

13. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

14. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

15. johnmilton

Here is the medal by Victor David Brenner that inspired the Lincoln Cent.

Lincoln VDB Total.jpg

16. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

They even named cities after him:

lincolnnebraska11871.jpg

And placed his portrait on their municipal issued notes.

legaltender1018622a.jpg

Issued in 1862 during his presidency.

ksparrow, ernie11 and Bradley Trotter like this.
  17. ernie11

ernie11 Member

18. johnmilton

Fractional currency, fourth issue, 50 cent note

Frac 4th 50 Lincoln F.jpg Frac 4th 50 Lincoln B.jpg

ksparrow and Bradley Trotter like this.
  19. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

20. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

I don't have anything great to contribute, but I did manage to find all four reverse types of 2009 from circulation.
    2009_obv_rev.jpg
    And some time around 1975 working as a soda jerk in high school somebody came in and paid with this crisp new 1934 silver certificate, which I thought was odd.
    IMG_3737.jpg

My grandfather was a fairly well-known Lincoln researcher, and was the librarian at the Chicago Tribune. He published several columns debunking the urban legends of the day (1940s-60s) regarding stuff Lincoln supposedly said but didn't. His concordance of everything Lincoln ever said was stored in giant cases of 3x5 cards that now reside with the University of Illinois.

johnmilton and ernie11 like this.
  21. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

2009 Proof lens Polish_20210126_183934376.jpg

coinup likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted